CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #15,196 of 31,833
Ok guys, my friend's AS10 arrived WAY earlier than we anticipated. I listen to them, and didn't like them. I found something off, I think I can hear more midbass than sub-bass, and I can sometimes observe the roll-off at the sub-base, on certain tracks. Also something in the upper mids doesn't sound quite right. So, I am going with the BK50. The question is: do I go with the wood and brass version, which appears to be open back, or do I go with the blue resin one, which is completely closed-back? This question is more towards @Slater and @DBaldock9, who made the recommendation in the first place and own the set, but also to anyone who has heard either of the two versions

P.S. The wood and brass version is indeed open back? Cause on The Phonograph site I read that they provide good isolation and don't have a lot of sound leakage, which is strange if they actually are. I don't trust that site much though.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #15,197 of 31,833
Ok guys, my friend's AS10 arrived WAY earlier than we anticipated. I listen to them, and didn't like them. I found something off, I think I can hear more midbass than sub-bass, and I can sometimes observe the roll-off at the sub-base, on certain tracks. Also something in the upper mids doesn't sound quite right. So, I am going with the BK50. The question is: do I go with the wood and brass version, which appears to be open back, or do I go with the blue resin one, which is completely closed-back? This question is more towards @Slater and @DBaldock9, who made the recommendation in the first place and own the set, but also to anyone who has heard either of the two versions

P.S. The wood and brass version is indeed open back? Cause on The Phonograph site I read that they provide good isolation and don't have a lot of sound leakage, which is strange if they actually are. I don't trust that site much though.

I have never heard the blue closed ones.

But the wood ones are indeed totally open backed (not fake like the KS EDR1/EDR2 and so many others).

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #15,198 of 31,833

The screen on the back is a vent, but the BK-50 does still provides good isolation.
. IMG_20190102_162439.jpg

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #15,199 of 31,833
I have never heard the blue closed ones.

But the wood ones are indeed totally open backed (not fake like the KS EDR1/EDR2 and so many others).
Great, that's good. I pulled the trigger on the wood ones!

The screen on the back is a vent, but the BK-50 does still provides good isolation.
That's odd, at least to me. I was under the impression that most of the open back earphones don't provide good isolation. Anyway, sound isolation is always a +.

Thanks for the help guys

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #15,200 of 31,833

That's odd, at least to me. I was under the impression that most of the open back earphones don't provide good isolation. Anyway, sound isolation is always a +.

Thanks for the help guys

Usually that is the case, but it depends a lot on the design of the shell, the type and placement of drivers, venting on the driver, etc.

I don’t remember what the isolation is like on the BK50, because it’s been a number of months since I’ve used them.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #15,201 of 31,833

Thanks for the help guys

Some of my best isolating earphones are the single BA (no vent) models - NiceHCK DT100, and Remax RM-600M. The Remax is still available, but not on AliExpress.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #15,203 of 31,833
Ok guys, my friend's AS10 arrived WAY earlier than we anticipated. I listen to them, and didn't like them. I found something off, I think I can hear more midbass than sub-bass, and I can sometimes observe the roll-off at the sub-base, on certain tracks. Also something in the upper mids doesn't sound quite right. So, I am going with the BK50.

Funny, I agree completely with how you describe the sound, yet I kind of like them anyway. On the other hand, call me crazy, but I'd take the ZSN over the AS10.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #15,205 of 31,833
With the AS10 I had to reduce tip size to medium so I could insert deeper, this worked for me and they sound much better

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #15,209 of 31,833
I've just picked up kz edr1. For a 3$ the sound is very surprising. Better then anything i could buy for that price. I feel as if it's the best value from earbuds.

Agreed. Nothing can even come close to the EDR1 for $3. It’s amazing KZ can even produce it for that price, yet still make a profit.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #15,210 of 31,833
KZ ZS7 vs. CCA-C10 ...impressions anyone? Want to pull trigger at one of them for cheap workhorse IEMs as ZSN isn`t quite up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back