CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #27,076 of 31,833
Indeed. Stock cables may not be functionally defective per se (unless you bought a TRN, heh heh) but they aren't particularly well made or enjoyable to touch. My Moondrop SSR stock cable, for instance, has started to oxidise at the connectors, develop a sticky feel in the hand, and lose its flexibility. So if I like an IEM and intend to keep it, I will treat it to a decent cable that doesn't have to cost a lot these days.

Speaking of SSR, how would you describe them after your usage all this while? The reviews online say it's shouty in upper-mids which I presume is the vocals sparkle prevalent here in Asia. Also, how would they compare against the classic neutral champs, Tin T2 (not plus). Is it a sidegrade or an upgrade to T2?

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #27,077 of 31,833
I wonder if it's still considered a very broad yet weird limitation... What are general recommendations for IEM that can be bought from Amazon within $50.

It depends on things like what's your preferred signature, what you mostly listen to and how will you use them?

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #27,078 of 31,833
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #27,080 of 31,833
Speaking of SSR, how would you describe them after your usage all this while? The reviews online say it's shouty in upper-mids which I presume is the vocals sparkle prevalent here in Asia. Also, how would they compare against the classic neutral champs, Tin T2 (not plus). Is it a sidegrade or an upgrade to T2?

I have not experienced the T2 myself, so I can't comment on that. They feature the most resolving and intimate vocal presentation I've heard thus far (it really gets you feeling things), but the SSP has been getting most of the ear time since I got that as I find it to be considerably more balanced and versatile.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #27,081 of 31,833
I have not experienced the T2 myself, so I can't comment on that. They feature the most resolving and intimate vocal presentation I've heard thus far (it really gets you feeling things), but the SSP has been getting most of the ear time since I got that as I find it to be considerably more balanced and versatile.

Ohh! This is interesting. So would it be correct that SSR is tad boring for casual music listening but good for monitoring/mixing/editing whereas SSP is musical variant of SSR?

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #27,082 of 31,833
Ohh! This is interesting. So would it be correct that SSR is tad boring for casual music listening but good for monitoring/mixing/editing whereas SSP is musical variant of SSR?

I think that the SSR is the way to go if you want a neutral-ish sound signature for cheap, yes

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #27,086 of 31,833
Thanks! Guess the SSR/SSP purchase would be delayed 'till I get a more powerful source.

For whatever reason, they are the least sensitive of all the transducers in my collection. As @Otto Motor stated in his review:

With my iPhone the Moondrop SSP needs quite a bit of power – its sensitivity is 3 dB lower than that of the Moondrop SSR…and it is given in dB/V…recalculation into dB/mW yields a meagre 94 dB/mW.

But it's also worth getting a more powerful source for these, because in my honest opinion you won't find better technicalities among single DDs below $100.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #27,087 of 31,833
For whatever reason, they are the least sensitive of all the transducers in my collection. As @Otto Motor stated in his review:
I've never noticed that Otto tries his IEMs with his iPhone.

But it's also worth getting a more powerful source for these, because in my honest opinion you won't find better technicalities among single DDs below $100.
That's why I'm so intrigued by them - the highly praised technicalities.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #27,088 of 31,833
I wonder if it's still considered a very broad yet weird limitation... What are general recommendations for IEM that can be bought from Amazon within $50.
If there's no limitation;
20210129_191959.jpg

With Faaeal Hisbicus mmcx cable, less then US$50!👍

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #27,089 of 31,833

Assuming you're driving them using your phone and just want a good all rounder with no nasty surprises, KZ ZAX.
Have a bit more power? There's a plethora of good single DDs out there.
Blon BL01, BL03 or BL05s, or for the more neutral sound (stay WELL away if you're a basshead), the original Tin T2 still does what it does better than anything else I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back