Best BassHead Headphone <150$ ?
Dec 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GaNi

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here(but searched and read few headphones thread over here)

Basically looking for a DJ style headphone. I am really into the thumps and I always tune to Dubstep, Dn'B, Electronic, Progressive House and my Equalizers low frequencies are always higher than the mids.

I was suggested M50s but since I'm a student, I find the coiled Un-detachable cable's inconvenient to use. At the same price range, I also looked into Pioneer's HDJ-500TK(detachable), they seem pretty nice.

Recommendations are welcome. :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Look into the Ultrasone HFI-580 for a detailed sounding set with both bass quantity and quality. A step above the ATH-M50, costing $120: http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 12
There is an ATH M50S, which come with a straight, uncoiled cable. It's still undetachable and rather long, though. Although the M50s have a very good bass response, but in terms of a huge quantity of a bass, you'd look better in its brother, the ATH PRO700MK2, or the Sony XB500/700.

EDIT: Also, you can find that a small, portable amplifier (FiiO E6 or E11 recommended) will not only increase the quality and volume, but they have high quality equalizer settings that can boost up the bass. The E6 goes for around 28 dollars while the E11 goes around 50 dollars. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 12
ATH-M50 is overall inferior to the HFI-580, the ATH-PRO700MK2 has significant bass but it's not particularly of high quality and the rest of the frequency range is rather muddy, XB500 has bass and bass alone and XB700 is more balanced than the XB500 but overall has less clarity and definition than the HFI-580.

Regarding amps, while there are amps as cheap as $20, the starting point for quality entry-level amps is the PA2V2 and Fiio E11, both having a ~$60 price point.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 12
There is an ATH M50S, which come with a straight, uncoiled cable. It's still undetachable and rather long, though. Although the M50s have a very good bass response, but in terms of a huge quantity of a bass, you'd look better in its brother, the ATH PRO700MK2, or the Sony XB500/700.

EDIT: Also, you can find that a small, portable amplifier (FiiO E6 or E11 recommended) will not only increase the quality and volume, but they have high quality equalizer settings that can boost up the bass. The E6 goes for around 28 dollars while the E11 goes around 50 dollars. 

Thanks for the portable amplifier note, but I already ordered the E6, it would arrive next week. I had XB-500, but I sorta lost them along with my alienware :frowning2:.

Source would be either my macbook or xperia with the e6.

@Roller

Noted mate.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
ATH-M50 is overall inferior to the HFI-580, the ATH-PRO700MK2 has significant bass but it's not particularly of high quality and the rest of the frequency range is rather muddy, XB500 has bass and bass alone and XB700 is more balanced than the XB500 but overall has less clarity and definition than the HFI-580.

Regarding amps, while there are amps as cheap as $20, the starting point for quality entry-level amps is the PA2V2 and Fiio E11, both having a ~$60 price point.

I wouldn't say it is an "overall inferior" set of headphones. I feel the treble on the M50s are more "polite" than the HFI-580s, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are listening too. The M50s seem to be more of a basshead headphone, as there is more quantity and it is boomier, but I prefer the HFI 580s as it is more controlled while still maintaining a good amount of bass. I also feel the M50s also have a slightly better build quality. While the HFI-580s are amazingly good for the price, so are the M50s, and I don't think the M50s can be called inferior - there is a reason they are absurdly popular.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I wouldn't say it is an "overall inferior" set of headphones. I feel the treble on the M50s are more "polite" than the HFI-580s, and that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are listening too. The M50s seem to be more of a basshead headphone, as there is more quantity and it is boomier, but I prefer the HFI 580s as it is more controlled while still maintaining a good amount of bass. I also feel the M50s also have a slightly better build quality. While the HFI-580s are amazingly good for the price, so are the M50s, and I don't think the M50s can be called inferior - there is a reason they are absurdly popular.

Of course that you're entitled to your opinion. Overall, many people consider the M50 to be inferior in most regards, from little controlled bass, grainy mids and not so great treble. And it doesn't take much to look around that there are clear indications that M50 isn't considered a basshead set while the HFI-580 is, while at the same time having clarity to handle genres other than bass emphasized ones. And are you seriously talking about build quality? Now, don't get me wrong, the M50 has good build quality, but certainly not at the level of HFI-580 or Ultrasones in general.

Yes, there is a reason they're popular, it's called FOTM.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Of course that you're entitled to your opinion. Overall, many people consider the M50 to be inferior in most regards, from little controlled bass, grainy mids and not so great treble. And it doesn't take much to look around that there are clear indications that M50 isn't considered a basshead set while the HFI-580 is, while at the same time having clarity to handle genres other than bass emphasized ones. And are you seriously talking about build quality? Now, don't get me wrong, the M50 has good build quality, but certainly not at the level of HFI-580 or Ultrasones in general.

Yes, there is a reason they're popular, it's called FOTM.

You seem to have a bias against the M50... I have heard both, felt both, and worn both, and yes, while I do agree the HFI-580s are the better set, I think the M50s are very close and not as bad as you make them out to be. It is what I'd like to call a safe pair of headphones, typical "fun" V-shaped sound signature. The HFI 580s can be too bright in some cases - the treble is sometimes too harsh - I prefer the M50s in this department, smooth and clear. I do agree that the low end and the midrange in the HFI-580s are superior - the bass is of a higher quality and the mids have more life. And yes - I am talking about build quality. The statement should be reversed - the HFI 580 have good build quality, but the M50s have a reputation for being built like a tank, and I can attest to that.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
You seem to have a bias against the M50... I have heard both, felt both, and worn both, and yes, while I do agree the HFI-580s are the better set, I think the M50s are very close and not as bad as you make them out to be. It is what I'd like to call a safe pair of headphones, typical "fun" V-shaped sound signature. The HFI 580s can be too bright in some cases - the treble is sometimes too harsh - I prefer the M50s in this department, smooth and clear. I do agree that the low end and the midrange in the HFI-580s are superior - the bass is of a higher quality and the mids have more life. And yes - I am talking about build quality. The statement should be reversed - the HFI 580 have good build quality, but the M50s have a reputation for being built like a tank, and I can attest to that.

Well, safe is a good description to the M50, I'll give you that.

I have used both as well and the M50 treble is rather underwhelming, while the HFI-580 is a bit hot, neither being perfect but having less subdued treble is a better option, in all honesty.

With that said, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back