Best bang-for-buck headphones under $200
Oct 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Youngblood

100+ Head-Fier

Hello, My name is Cody

I'm looking for a set of headphones below $200 that are best for the following genres, 

1. Rock.
  2. Metal.
  3. A very small amount of rap.

I have been using the klipsch Image s4, which sound great for IEM that are just $80 but I need to upgrade since they are now on the fritz of breaking. I am looking for the following qualitys in the headphones.

1. Great sound.
  2. bass that isn't like the Beats by Dr. Dre (to much bass) I found my s4 IEMs have a good amount.
  3. Great build quality.
  4. Bang-for-buck.

Here is the list of headphones I'm currently interested in. I'm leaning very closely to the Sennheiser HD 555 headphones so I can do the 595 mod, all posts are greatly appreciated  I will not be amping them, but I will get an amp as soon as I can. I strongly prefer open cans!

Sennheiser 555

Sennheiser 580 (I can't find these!)

Audio-Technica AD 700

Grado sr 225

Beyerdynamic DT 770

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Any thing else I should look into?

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 23
For rock and metal the Grados are probably the best overall, though the M50 will do a good job and are probably the best value on that list.

Also

HD580s are discontinued.

HD555s are good all-rounders like the M50 but trade away bass for more sounstage.

AD700s are known for weak bass and amazing soundstage.

There are at least 7 different version of the DT770 I can think of off the top of my head.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 23
In my opinion either the DT250 or DT440. Both are superior to the HD555, M50, and AD700.  DT770 and HD580 will need an amp. SR225 would be great for rock and metal though they wont be as versatile as the DT440 or DT250.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 23
The Etymotic ER4-P or ER4-S will surprise you and blast you away (without too much bass)! You must like in-earphones and it takes some getting used to, but after 2 days you do not want anything else. 

Cant see if you are from the US or UK, but on amazon.com they can be obtained for around US dollar 170,- (instead of USD retail price 299,-! ((which they are actually also worth). If you live in the UK, the Etymotic HF5 come very close and cost a lot less. Good luck choosing, Daan, Amsterdam

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 23
If you listen to strictly Rock/Metal perhaps the SR225, though be aware that they have a very in-your-face sound that's not for everyone. Personally, my ears got tired after 30 minutes or so.

The M50 is my favorite of that list, though I'm not sure if its bass is fast enough for rock/metal. I prefer the M50 to the DT250 since I think it has the DT250 beaten in all areas except midrange.

The DT440 sounds intriguing, I had a DT531 (predecessor to the DT440, which I read have wamer sound but generally close to each other), and it has nice bass, not very deep but sure pretty fast, which worked quite well with rock. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
If you listen to strictly Rock/Metal perhaps the SR225, though be aware that they have a very in-your-face sound that's not for everyone. Personally, my ears got tired after 30 minutes or so.

The M50 is my favorite of that list, though I'm not sure if its bass is fast enough for rock/metal. I prefer the M50 to the DT250 since I think it has the DT250 beaten in all areas except midrange.

The DT440 sounds intriguing, I had a DT531 (predecessor to the DT440, which I read have wamer sound but generally close to each other), and it has nice bass, not very deep but sure pretty fast, which worked quite well with rock. 

The midrange was the reason I liked the DT250 more.  I always wanted to try the DT531 but its almost impossible to find now.  DT440 is supposedly close enough though that im not too worried about it. The DT440 is my favorite overall pair of phones since I don't find it particularly lacking in any areas like its competitors.  Soundstage is superior to the MS-1 and bass is superior to the AD700.  Its midrange and treble aren't necessarily the best but they are not lacking nearly as much as the MS-1 soundstage or AD700 bass. The main problem with them is the comfort imo.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 23
Yep, unfortunately it's kinda hard to get by nowadays, I do like them better than the MS1 and AD700. If the DT440 is close, they must be great too. Funny how DT531 is the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned, to my ears comfier than all other Beyers, AKG Kx01s, and even the ATH ADs.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 23
I wish you guys would have replied sooner, because I have already ordered a pair of Sennheiser 555s. I would have waited off on my order but as this was my first post and i didn't get a reply after the first day I figured this was just going to go down the list without any replies. You guys sure didn't let that happen
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I will have to make the best out of the Sennheisers now, but I have an Idea, since I got my headphones under $100, with the money left over I could buy a cMoy v2.02 amp with bass boost. Does anyone know if this amp would deliver enough bass to fuel my Metal/Rock needs, I actually prefer more neutral sounds (I like to listen to my music during my evening walk, at the end of the day I want something that I can just listen to and enjoy my walk without it being to in-my-face) but I do prefer my bass to be a little higher than neutral. All of your replies are greatly appreciated, oh and yeah I am from America. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 23
IMO you picked the worst out of the bunch you listed (except HD580 because that absolutely needs an amp).

If you liked HD555 - HD595 sound then AD700 would of been best bang for buck.

But of course your millage may vary.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 23
I'm surprised that no one suggested the D2000s ( because they are closed ?? ). They go for under $200 on amazon and imo are comfortably ahead of M50 and HD555 in every part of the spectrum. I like the sound signature of my S4 too and love the D2000. I like the HD555 too but they are definitely light on bass even after foam mod imo. They are definitely worth the money though and if the cmoy helps boost the bass, they should sound very good. Best of luck OP.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 23
Sennheiser HD25-1. I know i bang on about these all the time, but i mention them so much for a reason ... they are brilliant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back