Best audiophile headphone/headset for $600 or less?
Aug 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

evilgnomes

New Head-Fier
well the title says it all, I am looking to get (within 6-7 months) the best headphone/headset for a max of 600$. I already tried the search function and all that gave me were headaches.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 17
Let me get this straight, you're looking to purchase in 6 or 7 months, you've tried the search function and it lead to a headache.
blink.gif

How about lurking for awhile and trying to figure out what's what by reading a little bit, instead of asking to be spoon fed. It's not like you're in a rush.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 17
Are you in an area close to any of the local meets?
When I was ready to take a step from $100 HPs to the next level (had a ceiling similar to yours), I was lucky enough to get to attend Can Jam09 in LA. I listened to a dozen or more HPs I had heard of or seen mentioned on here, or just discovered while walking around. (I ended up going from AT ATH700 to Denon D5000). Then when I was thinking of taking the next step up, I was once again lucky enough to attend a local head-fi user meet. There were around 40 of us and there was a wide range of mid to upper level HPs (HD800, T1000, D7000, LOTS of Stax, etc.) and I was able to listen to every one of them.

So that helped me immensely because I was able to take people opinions on HPs I had heard myself with a grain of salt and it taught me just how varied people's tastes are in sound, and I find what I like this year, may not be the same as next (I went from D5000 back to the AT line, but up to the ATH-W1000X this time). I thought I was a bass head and I loved the D5000s for about a year and my taste changed and I wanted something different. I don't think of it as a vertical progression, I think of it as a lateral movement that emphasized my tastes in this period of time.

I also have a couple of friends that have AKG and Grado's and they are nice enough to share, as I do with them, and this helps a lot also because I can audition them for a day or a week at a time.

I find the opinions on here are great, and I love this site, but in the end it is musical tastes that must be served. But that is my adventure, and my opinion only, and others may disagree. That's whats nice about this site, and also that's what bites about this site. It should not be your conscience, only a guiding light...IMHO!

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 17
I hope also keep in mind that any headphone you buy around the ~$600 range will most likely require a decent DAC and amp as well. You can't just buy $600 headphones and plug them into your ipod. Just mentioning this so you can maybe re-evaluate your budget.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 17
I time to time use my D7000 with my sandisk Fuze

it sound pretty good.

ofcause using a real amp is better,

the D7000 will do pretty good with PC sound card,
if you want better...
get a Forte 7.1 or Bravura 7.1 from Auzentech 
( Bravura 7.1 is cheaper.. as it doesnt have a real X-FI chip in it.)

they both have onboard headphone amp

( I love my Forte 7.1 , now i mainly use it for optical out and connect to my MKV little dot, as i love to have all the X-fi feature for music and gaming)

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 17
With that budget I'd also get a dac so the headphones can deliver a quality signal (which you will actually be able to appreciate), and headphones that sound ok without a full-sized amp.  So a used Grado RS-1 and a uDac dac/amp.  For closed headphones, maybe a uDac and Denon D5000.  Personally I like the RS-1 more than my D5000 and D7000.  You have more options (e.g. HD600) if you plug the dac into your stereo via RCA cables and use the headphone jack & amplifier.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 17
D5k's are also good. But, if you don't mind the price difference the D2k's are even cheaper, and they are practically the same. I had a pair of D5k's, and I like them (still experimenting with sounds), so I then got a pair of Westone 3's, Jh-13's, and I just purchased a pair of Edition 8's from online.

If you don't mind headphones being used, I found my D5k's for <$350. You also then are able to save some money. And they sound good un-amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back