Best AMP for K7XXs
Aug 7, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #46 of 62
The problem being is he did not try a different tube. With the stock tube is sounds quite similar to the Magni 2 and a solid state amp. A good tube amp will sound like that. A bad tube amp will not. Problem is people have been listening to bad tube amps for a long time so they think that it needs to sound distorted and add to the sound where it should actually be clear, detailed, and resolving. Changing the tubes out will change the warmth but keep the detail as well as change out the highs and soundstage. All you have to do is look at the vali 2 tube rolling thread. Heck I even have adapters to use different size tubes for mine. The k7xx are far from analytical especially with the vali 2. They even have a bump in the bass the k701 dont have as well as the k702.

The Valhalla 2 sounds nothing like the Darkvoice and it is an otl tube amp. Sounds much closer to the vali 2 and a ss than the darkvoice with the stock tubes. Too many people take stock in what z reviews says and really should not. Most people I know that know what they are talking about disagree with most of what he believes to be true. You spend more time going around in circles with people trying to steer them in the right direction because of his videos and most new people dont know any better. But such is life. I suggest you do your own research on the vali 2 and see for yourself. Look at the tube rolling thread and look at all the reviews and praise on here.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #47 of 62
The problem being is he did not try a different tube. With the stock tube is sounds quite similar to the Magni 2 and a solid state amp. A good tube amp will sound like that. A bad tube amp will not. Problem is people have been listening to bad tube amps for a long time so they think that it needs to sound distorted and add to the sound where it should actually be clear, detailed, and resolving. Changing the tubes out will change the warmth but keep the detail as well as change out the highs and soundstage. All you have to do is look at the vali 2 tube rolling thread. Heck I even have adapters to use different size tubes for mine. The k7xx are far from analytical especially with the vali 2. They even have a bump in the bass the k701 dont have as well as the k702.

The Valhalla 2 sounds nothing like the Darkvoice and it is an otl tube amp. Sounds much closer to the vali 2 and a ss than the darkvoice with the stock tubes. Too many people take stock in what z reviews says and really should not. Most people I know that know what they are talking about disagree with most of what he believes to be true. You spend more time going around in circles with people trying to steer them in the right direction because of his videos and most new people dont know any better. But such is life. I suggest you do your own research on the vali 2 and see for yourself. Look at the tube rolling thread and look at all the reviews and praise on here.
Thank you.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #48 of 62

If I go with that, I have enough budget to go insane with tubes. What would you suggest?

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #49 of 62
For modern tubes I would suggest a few like the Golden Lion and the Electro Harmonicx 6922. For vintage the sky's the limit, but a few of my favorites are '71 Reflektor 6N23P GS DPGP, '77 Reflector 6N3P-E with a 5670/6DJ8 adapter, and a toss between '57 Sylvania 6SN7GTB [600mA] 280 726 and '58 FOTON 6N8S [600mA] XII-58 with my 6SN7/6DJ8.
If you decide to go the vali 2 route we can chat more when the time comes. Heck I might even send you your first tube if you are in the US.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #50 of 62

The thing with music and sound in general is that its interpretation is relative to the listener's perception. We aren't computers programmed to analyse sound in terms of 1 and 0. Our ears are made differently and our emotions intervene in the way we perceive things. He's not wrong, he just has a different perception which might be different from an hardcore audiophile's perception, but truth is that most audio enthusiasts are not hardcore audiophiles and I believe that is why Z has such a big fan base.

All in all, I agree that the Vali 2 might be the best option no matter what Z thinks of it.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #51 of 62
The thing with music and sound in general is that its interpretation is relative to the listener's perception. We aren't computers programmed to analyse sound in terms of 1 and 0. Our ears are made differently and our emotions intervene in the way we perceive things. He's not wrong, he just has a different perception which might be different from an hardcore audiophile's perception, but truth is that most audio enthusiasts are not hardcore audiophiles and I believe that is why Z has such a big fan base.

All in all, I agree that the Vali 2 might be the best option no matter what Z thinks of it.
I think I'm definitely gonna go that route. Disclaimer: I know nothing about tubes, so you're going to have to speak to me in layman's terms what tubes are warm? What makes a tube have a certain sound? Should I use a larger tube and an adapter to add to the "tubiness" of the sound? What are the different types of tubes?

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #52 of 62
If you go with the vali 2 I would start off reading the tube rolling thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vali-2-tube-rolling.793982/

first I think you need to listen to the stock tube for a week or so to get a good impression of it first that way you can appreciate the other tubes. You also need to understand the limitations of the k7xx. It will never truly be a warm pair of headphones or a mid centric pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #53 of 62
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #55 of 62
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #56 of 62
If you really want an OTL amp for that tube goodness,sell your K7XX and grab a Beyer DT990(or an 880 for more neutral sound) 600 ohm versions...it is similar to the K7XX in sound and the 600 ohms will work wonderfully with an OTL amp.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #58 of 62
What's the warmth and quality like vs the Vali and Modi?
I have no idea this is a brand new amp so not many have heard it. Most of Cavalli amps tend to lean towards the warmer side though.

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #60 of 62
If you go with the vali 2 I would start off reading the tube rolling thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vali-2-tube-rolling.793982/

first I think you need to listen to the stock tube for a week or so to get a good impression of it first that way you can appreciate the other tubes. You also need to understand the limitations of the k7xx. It will never truly be a warm pair of headphones or a mid centric pair of headphones.
I've been thinking about it, and I think I just want a good amp with good sound, regardless of tube vs as. How do you think the cavali amp would pair, and what do you think of the Jotunheim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back