Best AMP for K7XXs
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #17 of 62
I Am quite pleased with my modi multibit and vali 2 and vintage tubes. You have pleanty in the budget for some tubes to play around with and get a warmer sound.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 62
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #22 of 62
You think that would be a viable option though? Better than Modi Magni and the NFB 11.28?
Viable, yes. But IMO you'll like the magni 2 or the Vali 2 more. I agree with Chef8489 on both his statements. The Vali 2 is a good pick if you want tubes and a far better match with 7xx than any OTL amp such as the darkvoice of the Valhalla 2.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 62
Viable, yes. But IMO you'll like the magni 2 or the Vali 2 more. I agree with Chef8489 on both his statements. The Vali 2 is a good pick if you want tubes and a far better match with 7xx than any OTL amp such as the darkvoice of the Valhalla 2.
Ok, thank you. The only reason I ask is because I have heard a couple reviews saying the Vali 2 is not really a tube amp, and that the tubes don't do much because its a hybrid. Thus, they found it didn't have much warmth over a solid state like the magni.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #24 of 62
Ok, thank you. The only reason I ask is because I have heard a couple reviews saying the Vali 2 is not really a tube amp, and that the tubes don't do much because its a hybrid. Thus, they found it didn't have much warmth over a solid state like the magni.
It's true that it won't give you that tube sound like an OTL or a higher-end hybrid tube amp like the Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2 would, but it'll still give you that added warmth you're looking for, especially if you get a good NOS tube like chef8489 recommended. Schiit's default tubes are pretty dull so what you say might be true if you're comparing it straight out of the box.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #25 of 62
It's true that it won't give you that tube sound like an OTL or a higher-end hybrid tube amp like the Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2 would, but it'll still give you that added warmth you're looking for, especially if you get a good NOS tube like chef8489 recommended. Schiit's default tubes are pretty dull so what you say might be true if you're comparing it straight out of the box.
What tubes would be good and how much are they?

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #27 of 62
What tubes would be good and how much are they?
It uses a 6922 (aka ECC88) tube which are probably among the easiest to find. What would be good really depends on your preference, I recommend you read the Vali 2 tube rolling thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vali-2-tube-rolling.793982/
Prices are going to vary between $10 to several hundreds, but something north of $20 should be an improvement over the stock tube (again it's always a matter of personal taste). I really like the JJ E88CC/6922 Gold ($25). I find it really delivers great performance for the price, although it's not nearly as warm as a good NOS tube.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 62
Also, what do you think of the little dot 4?
Again it's an OTL... I have the mkii and I really like it with my Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohms, so I'd assume, based on what I've read, that it should be pretty good. But it's still not a good match for your 7xx

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #30 of 62
It will work with 32 Ohms headphones, It just won't be as enjoyable as it would be with higher impedance headphones. It's not because an amp is rated at a given impedance that it'll sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back