Best amp for K701 - my wallet is generous.
Oct 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
It's time to accessory my K701 with the amp it takes, any finally my budget is wide for it.
I'm looking for the best option for my K701.

I love my K701, but I found it a little bit non-balanced, lack in deep bass (not punchy bass, i'm not looking for it), too trabely and not that detailed (I heard much more details in other cans) and transparency. Most of them (or all of them) most be a result of not amped well cans (I'm using my entry-level-amp on my STX card).

Then, I'm looking for an amp, one who can give them enough to make a balanced sound, very analitical, detailed and transparency.
My budget can get until 1K $ and maybe more (in special case). 
I tought about the SPL Auditor, but they say it's sound is very cold and dead.

I will be happy for some recommendations. thank you.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 97
Get something with a low output impedance. It may help make them less trebly. Most headphones have high impedance in the bass, but the K701 has rising impedance in the upper treble as well.

You're not underamping. The STX is plenty powerful. What volume settings are you using, gain setting and volume level?

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 97
The stx's amp MUST be not enough for the K701... i'm sure about it.
I'm using high gain, hi-fi, 96Khz, 45%~50% volume.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 97
Quote:
The stx's amp MUST be not enough for the K701... i'm sure about it.
I'm using high gain, hi-fi, 96Khz, 45%~50% volume.

Wow, you listen loud.

Don't turn it up to Highest gain, 50% volume should allow for plenty of headroom. You'll only get more distortion.

But how exactly isn't the amp enough when you're only using about half of its potential power?

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 97
I think you should try the Auditor and one of the Violectric's and decide what direction you want to go. I have the V-100, and is punchy in bass with great 3D sound stage and yet just enough transparency to keep the K702 sound. On the other hand, the SPL's sounds very analytical, and some peoples dont like this studio sounds. This why is important to check both options before you buy. After some time with the V-100 I decide to sale it, and to get the Autidor for my studio use.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 97
Head Injury, why just half? something's wrong in my options?
Acix, what is the bad points in SPL sound? 

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 97
I would try the Burson HA160, warm and detailed, just takes awhile to warm up for a solid state. Once it does, that combo can really sing. If you want to go the tube route, try a Woo Audio WA6. Both amps have plenty of power to drive those hungry K701s.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 97
I can not recommend the STX for the K702. If you're going o use the STX with the K702 then you'll be disappointed because the STX's amp really isn't that good.

The Auditor does not sound cold or dead. It sounds like what ever you feed it. If you source is cold then the sound will be cold. It the source is warm then the sound is warm. IMO the Auditor does a good job but not as good as the Violectric V200.

The Violectric V200 is a warmer amp that has a more tube like sound. IMO that sounds works in the favor of the K702. It helps flesh out the mids, fill in the bass, and tame the highs. The K702 still remains incredibly detailed but now is much more balanced sounding.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 97
Another vote for the Burson 160 if you like very dark sound and want to tame that treble at all costs.

Otherwise the V100 and V200 are simply excellent.

Cayin HA-1A if you want to go for a full tube point to point wired amp. It's a bit nicer than the Little Dot MKIII and MKIV offerings but
the price reflects this.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 97
The question is what will do the best work with details and transparency- the SPL or the V200? (or the Burson?)

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 97
I have a Burson and can third the vote but if you have lots of money there is better. I've heard my headphones on a lot of amps and I think the best I have ever heard, and this is from my own personal taste, is the Eddie Current Super 6 amp which is not yet available but will be coming out soon. I believe you can pre order now if you email Crieg from his website. I don't know exactly how much they are going to cost but I think when I talked to him he said somewhere around 1400-1500. So how did it sound? Well it tamed the hell out of the treble without losing any extension or detail. It also added bass impact,quantity, and extension that I did not believe these headphones could achieve, of course this comes at a price. But honestly I like a lot of tube stuff with the K702s I think that these phones just really benefit from the tube sound. I think the Little Dot MKIII sounds great with these but lacks some impact and a lot of detailed compared to the Burson.

@Gwarmi I've not heard the Cayin HA-1A Have you compared this amp to the Burson and/or the Little dot? What did you think? I'm curious. From specs alone its not that impressive but as a lot of us know specs seem to matter very little haha.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 97
The Auditor is more transparent and a lot more detailed while the V200 is the warmer sounding alternative. It's not nearly as detailed but I would say almost the same when it comes to transparency.

Quote:
The question is what will do the best work with details and transparency- the SPL or the V200? (or the Burson?)

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 97
Quote:
Head Injury, why just half? something's wrong in my options?Acix, what is the bad points in SPL sound? 

You have an extra gain setting (+18dB instead of +12dB) and you're using it at only half volume. You have plenty of extra power. The thing is, you don't need that power! A more powerful amp won't do anything. Why would it? You're listening plenty loud, and you're not clipping the amp you have.

Quote:
I can not recommend the STX for the K702. If you're going o use the STX with the K702 then you'll be disappointed because the STX's amp really isn't that good.

Why isn't it good? The output impedance is the only problem when it comes to the K702. That is a problem, definitely, and the OP may want to get something else to remedy it. Its noise and distortion should be plenty low. It has plenty of power, even with the output impedance.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 97
^ but amping is not just about power... there is other things who matters the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back