best amp for hd 800
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #92 of 105
Quote:
How about the Meier Corda Jazz with the M-Dac is it any good with the HD 800? I currently own the Audiolab M-Dac and looking for a good Amp in UK. Does anyone have any experience with the Corda Jazz or should I be looking at a tube amp. Another choice I would consider is the Icon audio HP8 MKII would love to hear from anyone who has tried these amps with the HD 800.

Can't speak about the others but the Icon is heaven with the HD800 - one of the best combinations I've heard with the Senns.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #94 of 105
I have heard that Icon Audio is only designed in Leicester but all the manufacturing and parts are sourced in china. I don't know but if I want to buy a Chinese amplifier I would buy a darkvoice or little dot. Personally I would go with the Lehmann Black Cube Linear or Voilectric V200 or a SPL Auditor and finally if you have the budget a SPL Phonitor.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #95 of 105
Right now I have a vintage Pioneer SX1010 fed coax via Halide bridge from Audio GD NFB17.32 and it is the best I have heard the HD800.Before I had Phoenix,WA6 in all sorts of DAC configurations and it always left me wanting.
The SX1010 also has hardware EQ which beats all software EQs I have tried so far.
The sound is meaty and holographic and still ultraclear....best of both worlds.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #98 of 105
Canor TP-10. Doesn't get mentioned a lot on here but it's driving my HD800's at the moment and driving them well. Vocals in particular have a gorgeous rich sound. I'm also noticing more details when listening to familiar recordings. Good bass too.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #99 of 105
I've run my HD800's with Blue Circle SBH and a V200.   Both were very nice.

But I get the best sound I've heard from the HD800's, BY FAR, with my Sound Quest SQ84-V2.

15wpc, two inputs, runs speakers as well as cans.   Uses the 6V6, the same tube in the $5700 ALO amp that is getting all the rave comments.  

Talk to Stephen at Sound Quest and see what he can do for you.  

This is a really great tube amp.

http://www.questforsound.com/amps/amps_sq84-V2.htm 

May 11, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #101 of 105
  The one word descriptor that comes to mind would be 'accurate'.  Not overbloated, or overly impactful, while remaining deep (on passages that call for it) and high quality throughout the entire spectrum.

The best way to describe my experience with the HD800 is that I was extremely disappointed when I first got it because I initially plugged it straight into my La Figaro 339.  I had heard so much hype about how great the HD800 ran with high quality tube amps, that I was almost certain that combination would be awesome.  I can't even describe why it was bad... it just was to my ears.  Music didn't flow, and I wasn't amused.  Sounded harsh in a way, and somewhat unnatural.

Then I plugged it into the V200, and it's like the headphone completely evolved.  The instant difference I noticed between the HD800 and the rest of my headphones (HE-500, HD650, LCD-2, HD598) was the extremely large and precise soundstage + imaging.  Everything sounded so effortlessly real, and smooth, while giving a very realistic treble, without sounding harsh.  Other than that, just know that the V200/HD800 is a great pairing, as I'm sure others can vouch for it as well.

What is the V200? Violectric? I had purchased the HD800 and now looking for a great amp to pair. Thanks

May 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #103 of 105
Yes, the V200 is Violectric.  

Having heard many more amps with the HD800 now, from memory I still think the V200 is certainly one of the more enjoyable amps.

Violectric v181 has the same sound signature as v200, but also balanced output. How do you think, it should be as good as v200, for hd800?

May 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #105 of 105
  Thanks man. I'm looking on V200 right now.

look at the metrum aurix.  i love the sound of the hd800 from it, and i hear none of the problems some people ascribe to those phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back