best amp for hd 800
Nov 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #76 of 105
So you're saying you get more soundstage depth with the Auditor compared to the V200?  How is the width, in the same context?

That's interesting... Hopefully I'll get to audition the Auditor some day.

The sound in all directions is pushed further out with more space between the elements of the music. I can't really say I've noticed a difference that I can describe using the terms "depth" and "width", instead it feels more like a universal shift in the character of the sound in how everything is a bit further away. The Phonitor and Auditor share the same components, and the only difference between them is that the Phonitor has all the crossfeed functions. If you see either for audition somewhere they should sound identical if you turn all the crossfeed functions off on the Phonitor and run it without any effects.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #77 of 105
Could try EarMax Silver Edition. Not bad. Warmer down the HD800. Nice!

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #79 of 105
"Good" would be a positive quality for the Lyr-HD 800 combo...
However, there are several factors that may change your choice
of amp/headphone pairing:
-Type of music you listen to...(excellent for Jazz, Classical, electronic, acoustic,)
-USB/optical/ to Mac/PC connects
-DAC choice (which could include the Bifrost)
-Choice of cable replacement for stock Senn cables, which truly suck.  There are many choices
in this highly controversial and annoyingly fuzzy market.

The Lyr is a truly gifted amp with power to spare.  It drives the Senn HD 800's to ear-splitting
levels of detail and clarity beyond the noon mark on the volume knob.  Bang for the buck it is a great buy...

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #81 of 105
I used to listen to B&W loudspeakers with 2 Sumos amps biamp mainly on classical and Jazz.
I just bought new Sennheiser HD800 and am looking to amp to pair with.
The V200 seems a good choice according to what I read in this topic.
Has someone tried the V200 without a DAC, the V800 or another?
The HD800 seems also pairing well with tubes amp.
I am hesitating between V200 and the Lyr with Bitfrost, because they have the same origin: Sumo.
What would you advise given the fact that I like a good clarity an dmusicality?

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #82 of 105
I used to listen to B&W loudspeakers with 2 Sumos amps biamp mainly on classical and Jazz.
I just bought new Sennheiser HD800 and am looking to amp to pair with.
The V200 seems a good choice according to what I read in this topic.
Has someone tried the V200 without a DAC, the V800 or another?
The HD800 seems also pairing well with tubes amp.
I am hesitating between V200 and the Lyr with Bitfrost, because they have the same origin: Sumo.
What would you advise given the fact that I like a good clarity an dmusicality?

I use the V800/V200 combo with the HD800 and I think it sounds phenomenal.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #84 of 105
I just got a great deal on a WA5-LE.  I sold my WA6 for $50 dollars more than I paid for it.  This Woo stuff has resale value.  But with the sale, I was able to get the WA5 for $1000 dollars, which fits the OP's budget.  

The amp sounds great so far-- It's still too new for me to make any formed opinions, but I'm really in 'like'.  Can't wait to roll some higher end tubes into it.

Everyone raves about the Cavalli Liquid Fire and the Emmeline Dark Star for the HD-800.  Those were the two other amps I routinely watched for-- looking for a deal.  All quite pricey, unfortunately.  :frowning2:

On the more cost effective front-- there's a WA6SE on eBay at the moment with a reasonable price tag looking for a new home.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #85 of 105
Certainly, the combo V200/800 should be a great solution.
Is the Jack out on the front panel a 1/4" or 1/8" one? Is there a sound quality difference between 1/4" and 1/8"?
The V200 has an USB entry. So does it still need an outside DAC like the V800? Is the sound quality better when V200 and V800 are used together?
Probably yes, but does the cost of the V800 worth the added money?
Another solution that could interest me are the Schiit products, some topics here are largely speaking about.
A combo Mjolnir with Gungnir costs less that a V200/V800 one.
But there is a problem with the Senn HD800 due to the balanced XLR out of the Mjolnir. I have searched another cable to replace the stock one, but not yet find one at a reasonable price. I don't accept to pay 600$, quite the price of the amp, for a cable. Would you have heard of such a cable: 2 x XLR mono on the amp's side?

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #86 of 105
Quote:
Certainly, the combo V200/800 should be a great solution.
Is the Jack out on the front panel a 1/4" or 1/8" one? Is there a sound quality difference between 1/4" and 1/8"?
The V200 has an USB entry. So does it still need an outside DAC like the V800? Is the sound quality better when V200 and V800 are used together?
Probably yes, but does the cost of the V800 worth the added money?
Another solution that could interest me are the Schiit products, some topics here are largely speaking about.
A combo Mjolnir with Gungnir costs less that a V200/V800 one.
But there is a problem with the Senn HD800 due to the balanced XLR out of the Mjolnir. I have searched another cable to replace the stock one, but not yet find one at a reasonable price. I don't accept to pay 600$, quite the price of the amp, for a cable. Would you have heard of such a cable: 2 x XLR mono on the amp's side?

V200 is the 1/4" jack out for both ports in the front.  Generally all headphone amplifiers will have a 1/4" out unless they're purely XLR.  My V200 does not have a USB input.  I believe you're talking about the V200 which has the DAC included in the box.  I have heard that while the V200 with the DAC is a decent performer, it is no where near the sound quality that the V800 is able to output.  The main thing I noticed when I switched to the V800 from the HRT MSII+ with the HD800 is that a new layer of soundstage depth appeared.  While the music was less warm, it became more natural.  

I have not had a chance to hear the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack, but I think that pairing would be better suited for the LCD-2/LCD-3 from reading about it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #87 of 105
How about the Meier Corda Jazz with the M-Dac is it any good with the HD 800? I currently own the Audiolab M-Dac and looking for a good Amp in UK. Does anyone have any experience with the Corda Jazz or should I be looking at a tube amp. Another choice I would consider is the Icon audio HP8 MKII would love to hear from anyone who has tried these amps with the HD 800.

May 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #88 of 105
I like the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball with the HD800s.  The Bijou is OK too.  And, my Beta22 is also nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back