Best Amp for Grado HF-2's?
Oct 25, 2009 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
Like the title says, I am particularly perplexed as to what people generally think best pairs with the Grado HF-2. I have searched these forums and it appears that short of the few Gilmore Lite, Pico, and Millet amp recommendations, there isn't a sure-fire amp that has been named for these rather unique Grados. I recently sold my SR-325is's and my Little Dot 1+ to fund my HF-2 purchase (as I didn't feel that a relatively warm, entry-level hybrid tube amp was best for these "dark" Grados) and now lust for a perfect amp for what will likely be my last higher-end headphone purchase for a long while. I do love the HF-2 directly out of my stereo, but believe that I can do better! In particular, anything that increases detail, tightens bass and/or brings the mid's forward would be most helpful. I doubt that there is an amp out there that will dramatically increase the HF-2's limited headstage, but would love to know if one exists. Any advice as to what has and hasn't worked for you is appreciated. I am on a restricted budget, but will entertain ideas up to the approximate $500 mark as I will hold out until I can afford what is arguably a very satisfactory purchase for these relatively low impedance cans. Cheers!
happy_face1.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...tightens bass....

You'll want an amp with a good, low damping factor for the best bass. At 32 Ohms, a Grado has fairly low impedance for a headphone, so you'll want an amp that has a low output impedance for the best control over the headphones.

The problem is that the tube amps that are under your limit of $500 are almost entirely OTL. Tubes have a high output impedance (typically) so you're not going to get a nice, low output impedance off an inexpensive tube amp. To get impedance low enough, you need to run output transformers (often expensive) or use something like the 6C33C tube like the Zana Deux. The 6C33C has a very low output impedance, which makes it rather special. I think the related 6C41C is like that, too, but I don't know of a commercial headphone amp that uses the 6C41C. There should be one, though, it's a nice sounding tube.

You'll find tricks for lowering output impedance in some OTL amps, like cranking up the negative feedback. Opinions vary on negative feedback, but I think it sounds lifeless and strangles the music.

The inexpensive way around this (if $500 truly is inexpensive
smily_headphones1.gif
) is to use solid state. Chips always have a low output impedance, so that won't be a problem. The solid state amps under $500 that I like are the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, and the EC/SS.

You might also want to poke around for a used Melos. I've seen them come up around $500 a few times. They're terrific with all Grados. However, before buying one, read up on their service history and see if anyone provides Melos repair these days. Repair shops seem to come and go for them and I haven't been staying current with the Melos saga. But they certainly are an option and a lot of people just love the combination.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 32
I find that a headphone amp with low output impedance and high power output helps a lot.

Hybrid amps are good like my X-CanV8P, but others will suffice nicely. An EF1 is a hybrid style amp that is affordable, not not sure if it meats the requirements.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 32
Uncle Eriks advice is good, and I can personally vouch for the HF-2 CK2III combo. I am listening to it as I write. They pair together very nicely and put out a very enjoyable sound to my ears. The CK2III has good control of the low end with the grados, which really helps to balance the sometime too-bright highs.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 32
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Keep it coming as it would be nice to form a degree of consensus as to what the majority of HF-2 owners think about their amps. My concern about the CK2III and M^3 amps is their DIY genesis, so to speak. I am not that handy an electronics hobbyist and haven't the time to build my own amp. I'm sure I can await a used one in the FS/FT thread, but would like to know if they can be reliably purchased, pre-built? At the moment, as far as attainability is concerned, the Headamp Gilmore Lite and perhaps Pico seem like a good start. I've also heard that the iBasso D10 is a fair bet and wouldn't doubt that its DAC would come in handy eventually. Unfortunately, most of these amps have been well-covered regarding synergy with brighter high-end Grados, but the HF-2 is an exception and I would like to ensure it will be compatible. I wish there was a meet around these parts so that I could try out several of the above and hear for myself! Regardless, thanks for all the input so far!
happy_face1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 32
The hf-2 is definitely a grado out of the John Grado mold. It is very similar in soundsig to the grado lineup of Sr60 through Rs-1, but a bit darker. If an amp is known for synergy with grados, it will do well with the hf-2.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hf-2 is definitely a grado out of the John Grado mold. It is very similar in soundsig to the grado lineup of Sr60 through Rs-1, but a bit darker. If an amp is known for synergy with grados, it will do well with the hf-2.

I suppose I am skeptical as I have just gone from listening to an SR-325is non-stop to the HF-2 which appears to be way darker, in my opinion. This could be due to the fact that I have only listened to it for approx. 10 hours at moderate volume and the bass has yet to tighten up, but I think there will still be a significant difference between the HF-2's and any Grados/Alessandros I've previously heard. I would imagine that "warming" the sound further with tube amps may be the wrong way to go (although I'm not against making the sound signature more "musical"). Also, as Uncle Erik said, you would generally have to go above $500 for a tube amp that isn't output transformerless, so there would be difficulty matching impedance values. I'm sure that I don't get the entire picture, however.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 32
^ I agree that the HF2 is quite different from all other grados. Tintin47 I think you might need to spend some more time with them, although it me it's not been a subtle difference at all.

To the op's question, I recommend one of the solid state diy amps mentioned. The PPA v2, and pimeta are two other excellent choices. One of the those diy amps should show up on the fs forum soon if they are not already there.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 32
Thanks for the input, rds! I did a bit of searching and it appears that you have built a PPA v2 from scratch, as described in the DiY forum. If you don't mind divulging, apart from time spent, how much would I expect to pay for the parts (including chassis) to build this myself vs. buy it pre-built used? I am actually in the process of moving and just realized that my new roommate and good friend is an electronics engineer. As he also loves his Grados, perhaps we should whip one up!
normal_smile .gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 32
I am now wondering what is better, the Audio-GD Compass amp/DAC or the C-2C amp? I wouldn't mind a DAC, but I take it, because the Compass is relatively cheaper (ºÎÇ컪Ô*´´ÒôÏì) it may not be as good as an amp. However, it looks like the Compass is still on sale at their site, so I'm hoping it may be a good match for HF-2's. Hmmm?

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 32
I listened to my HF2's with the pico slim at a recent meet, and thought the pairing was really amazing. Seemed to work with the headphones strengths and against it's weaknesses in every way, and balanced out the signature, brought the mids forward, tighter bass, smoother treble, more seperation. Not sure about the bigger pico, didn't listen to it. But the slim was an outstanding pairing. I should say it was under meet conditions though.

Oct 26, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now wondering what is better, the Audio-GD Compass amp/DAC or the C-2C amp? I wouldn't mind a DAC, but I take it, because the Compass is relatively cheaper (ºÎÇ컪Ô*´´ÒôÏì) it may not be as good as an amp. However, it looks like the Compass is still on sale at their site, so I'm hoping it may be a good match for HF-2's. Hmmm?

I've tried my hf2 via my compass. At the moment I dont have anything else to compare it to, but I hear the amp on the c2c is heaps better. I too have been thinking about getting a c2c (after my new dac gets here). My only concern is it'll be too powerful as right now with the compass I'm at 8 o'clock and that about 10% on low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back