Best amp <$2000 for K1000?
Dec 24, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #46 of 58
Well, if the Melos has the sound you like, and have enough power to push the K1000 to your normal listening volume, then there's no point in getting another amp other than experimentation.

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #47 of 58
Since your Melos has an output impedance of .5 ohms, it is extremely low, and the K1000 likes low impedance outputs. The big question is as dearkclouds stated: how loud can you drive those cans with that amp? And does it sound good at that volume level? Make sure it doesn't distort as orpheus tried running his K1000 out of his MG Head and it distorted really bad once it got loud enough.

Also, see how hot the amp runs when driving those cans for amy length of time!! Mine tended to run warm when just running some low impedance cans at low volume, which is normal!! Yours might overheat as it might be driving the amp near max capacity for long periods of time, which could burn out the tubes or MOSFET outputs!!!

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #48 of 58
I have the Melos set at about 2/3 volume and it is plenty loud. I have turned the Melos all the way up and it drives them to ear splitting levels without any distortion. The Melos doesn't seem to heat up too bad with the K1000, but the longest I have ran the K1000 with the Melos is about an hour. I will have to have them drive the K1000's for a long time and then see how hot it gets.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #49 of 58
Sounds like your search for the best tube amp for the K1000s is over!!!! And you didn't even have to spend any money to do so!!! What a deal!!! Maybe you can hook-up the K1000s to someone else's amp and see if you get any improvements over your Melos?? Might be a way to see if your incredible sounding amp is better or worse than something else. How far are you from Wallijohn?? Maybe he has something worth listening to in order to compare amps???

FWIW, I hope that the Melos you already have suits your purposes perfectly!!! Nothing like finding gold in your own backyard if you know what I mean!!!
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #50 of 58
Yes, hopefully the Melos does work out. I am actually pretty excited as my hunt for an amp for the K1000 could already be over.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am not too far away from Wallijonn and actually I am borrowing his K1000 right now. Yes, he was awesome enough to do this. Next time we hold another meet I hope to compare the Melos to Greg's SAC amp.

At our meet this last weekend we actually ran the K1000 of a Corda, which did not sound bad at all.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #51 of 58
I was wondering where you got a hold of those K1000s. I didn't remember reading that you bought a pair, so I thought I jsut missed some posts or you bought it a while ago!!

It's nice that you can get some components to check them out long-term before buying them!!! Many here, myself included, have bought stuff only to be disillusioned and dissapointed AFTER buying them. Too late, and it costs money to sell stuff that you just got and used for even a few days.

To Wallijohn & Greg, that's really nice of you guys to help each other out like that!!! That's part of what makes this community special!!!

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 58
Nope no worries I haven't purchased any K1000's, yet.
wink.gif

It was truly awesome of Wally to let me borrow his K1000's. Greg was also cool enough to let me borrow his 1/4" cable so that I can plug the K1000 in to the Melos.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #53 of 58
The question is: will Wally be getting his headphones or a check back??? Please post more of your thoughts under the amp section about the combo of the Melos and K1000s. I'm sure there are a number of people who'd love to know about another great option for running the K1000 cans well!! Especially when so many of the other options are several times more expensive!!!

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Something that is really surprising me is how good the Melos/K1000 combo is sounding. It really sounds amazing. Has anybody tried the K1000 with the Melos?

I'm curious, how are you connecting your K-1000's to your Melos? Is your extension cable terminated with a phono plug, since the Melos has no speaker wire terminals or XLR outputs.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #56 of 58
I really hate to be the guy that ups those hundred year old threads, but this is perfect for what I'm looking for.

I ditched the idea of getting a good DAP and decided to invest in some proper amplification for my K1000s instead, and my maximum budget is $1900. The thing is that it would be perfect if I could get an amp that is as good driving the K1000s as it is driving "normal" headphones. My goal is not to have to worry about a headphone amp anymore. I was considering the WA22, would that be a good choice? I became really interested in the RKV, but I couldn't find anything about it on the internet. Where is it sold, and how much does it cost?

Any ideas and suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #57 of 58
You could probably get a really nice b22.  You might also want to look into integrated speaker amps with a headphone output.  You can run the K1000 off the speaker binding posts.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #58 of 58
Thank you for the input!
The B22 is very interesting. I just found out about the Eddie Current ZDT, which is simply perfect for my needs - drives balanced headphones, normal headphones and speakers. I've read that it's supposed to be a very good match with the K1000. It's a bit over my budget, but I'll try to stretch it.
Still; thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back