Beresford vs Zhaolu as a DAC/AMP
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herandu, give it up. Go get laid or go bungy jumping. Something more exciting than banging on a dead horse.

W/ or w/o the bungy?
eek.gif
Oops, that is mean!
rolleyes.gif
I will stop now.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realise there was a forum that "digital engineers discuss repair problems with the Zhaolu"

I mean sure it's a popular DAC but didn't know it was THAT popular. I'd be interested in seeing such a forum =)

Care to share the link?

I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a "digital engineer"... and what good would they be for the 50+% of the components of a DAC that aren't digital?

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a "digital engineer"... and what good would they be for the 50+% of the components of a DAC that aren't digital?

lol don't look at me... i'm not claiming that there's a bunch of them sitting around talking about the Zhaolu's faults on a forum on the internet somewhere...

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #34 of 49
I'm about to pull the trigger on Zhaolu D2.5A with discrete headamp upgrade ($192) as an all-in-one solution, I do need both a DAC and a headphone amp. ZAPfilter is not gonna happen though.

How does the amp section of Beresford (MK-6) TC-7510 stack up?

Are these two the best options in the price range?

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I should re-phrase that. I meant digital audio engineer.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by aural1ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to pull the trigger on Zhaolu D2.5A with discrete headamp upgrade ($192) as an all-in-one solution, I do need both a DAC and a headphone amp. ZAPfilter is not gonna happen though.

How does the amp section of Beresford (MK-6) TC-7510 stack up?

Are these two the best options in the price range?

It all depends. If you want something that sounds brilliant after a few days burn in and don't fancy upgrading it internally, then the TC-7510 would be the obvious choice. If on the other hand you fancy the upgrade path before you get a brilliant sounding DAC, then the Zhaolu would be the ideal choice.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #37 of 49
Or you can get the Zhaolu and have something that sounds brilliant after a few days of burn in and fancy upgrading it internally, then the Zhaolu is the obvious choice and you can get an even more brilliant sounding DAC after modding it. So it's a win-win instead of a lose-lose.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 49
I'd say the OP would be happy with either.

I've owned the Beresford tc-7510 mk5 previously, and there was nothing wrong with the unit. At that price range, I consider it a gem. [I'm in no way endorsing the "giant killer" idea]

If however, you could see yourself spending the extra cash for upgrades anytime soon, the Zhalou would be the option to follow.

It's win-win, as long as you choose the path that suites you. And if for any reason, one of the two DAC's just strikes a discord with you, the FS forums would help you go back on your way to trying other options.

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #39 of 49
On further research it seems the amp section of the Beresford is not that good, with many reports of hissing and noise
frown.gif
I do need both a DAC and a headphone amp, the Zhaolu wins this round! Trying to get away cheap so Zap or Ori mod = ain't happening. But I found free upgrades, opamp swap and the cap bypass, simple to do too
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

On further research it seems the amp section of the Beresford is not that good, with many reports of hissing and noise
frown.gif
I do need both a DAC and a headphone amp, the Zhaolu wins this round! Trying to get away cheap so Zap or Ori mod = ain't happening. But I found free upgrades, opamp swap and the cap bypass, simple to do too
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought it was only the lower TC-7510 models that have hissing and noise?

I have the MK 3 which has a huge amount of hissing from the headphone jack, but from what I've read that was all removed in the MK 4, so anything above that should be fine?

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 49
I had a Mk 6 Beresford, the amp section is definitely not up to par. The DAC is very good standalone. As someone called it, a "gem" (and I agree, not a giant-killer).

But IMO, the D2.5C (CS DAC) with discrete amp, cap bypass and LM4562 opamps beat the Beresford hands down. Little more money at the time, but well worth it IMO.

I've never heard the stock AD DAC Zhaolu, though, so caveat my thoughts with that.....but I LOVE the two OMZ's I have based on the AD DAC. So don't discount a possible future upgrade, maybe you can afford it someday.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #42 of 49
my previous mk5, took awhile for the amp section to burn in. Previously the bass was extremely bloaty compared to the Heed Canamp (and I think, there are already those who find the heed to have bloaty bass). The bass later tightened up abit on the mk5, however it was still bloaty, and not as defined as the Heed.

I do not remember having any hiss with the amp.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #43 of 49
I'm going for the D2.5A with upgraded headamp. The cap bypass is simple to do if I want it and anyone can drop some LM4562NA samples in there. By the way I like the modular approach of this unit, that you can choose one of the two DAC boards, and combine it with one of the two AMP modules as you see fit, very nice.

Zhaolu D2.5A ($142) with discrete headamp upgrade ($50) plus shipping ($53) ends up at $245. Choosing the D2.5C ($215) pushes the total up to $318. At that point I feel it's too close to the Citypulse DA7.2xII ($343) which ends up at $396.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

I'm going for the D2.5A with upgraded headamp. The cap bypass is simple to do if I want it and anyone can drop some LM4562NA samples in there. By the way I like the modular approach of this unit, that you can choose one of the two DAC boards, and combine it with one of the two AMP modules as you see fit, very nice.

Zhaolu D2.5A ($142) with discrete headamp upgrade ($50) plus shipping ($53) ends up at $245. Choosing the D2.5C ($215) pushes the total up to $318. At that point I feel it's too close to the Citypulse DA7.2xII ($343) which ends up at $396.

I don't know if you're in the states but if you are, Audio-Magus has excellent prices and service. I bought my 2.5C from him and was very happy with the transaction.

HTH

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back