Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #62 of 143
  Yes or maybe it's the USB converter as it was never meant to be ran from a usb connection IIRC.

Mine is dead silent in Win8 but it's toslink on both ends.

Yes, there is that element as well. For anyone that has owned or extensively heard R2R DAC's does the Caiman Mk2 sound like an R2R (silky smooth/deep bass / analog presentation) yet it brings the micro-details and dynamics like a modern DAC ?

Hmmm, I said smooth and micro-details...wonder if they are mutually exclusive ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #63 of 143
Yep I compared extensively the Beresford Caïman mkII and the Metrum Octave MKI  and the Beresford offer really a surprinsingly close rendering. with more resolution and dynamic but it does not provide the wonderful mids of the Octave. 

Some R2R dacs are highly resolving though. The Octave not really.  

BTW ; IMO the BM offer even more resolving capabilities and a more expansive and holographic soundstage. but the Caïman sounds more natural. 

My 2 cents. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #64 of 143
  Yep I compared extensively the Beresford Caïman mkII and the Metrum Octave MKI  and the Beresford offer really a surprinsingly close rendering. with more resolution and dynamic but it does not provide the wonderful mids of the Octave. 

BTW ; IMO the BM offer even more resolving capabilities and a more expansive and holographic soundstage. but the Caïman sounds more natural. 

My 2 cents. 

Well, if you compare the prices of Octave Metrum (including USB $1395) and CMII which is far less, I think that's a stunning achievement.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #65 of 143
  Well, if you compare the prices of Octave Metrum (including USB $1395) and CMII which is far less, I think that's a stunning achievement.

I think so...  for me the Caïman is a real Bargain for people who are after this kind of Analog like sound. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #66 of 143

My 2 cents. 

You know, the more you talk about it, the less I wanna upgrade from the BM2 lmao. 

I told Sorrodje about this, I will be buying a CM2 this thursday for the variable preamp function, new firmware and the natural sound and will post comparisons here. I can't wait. The BM truly has an incredible realistic open soundstage and doesn't even have an ounce of treble peaks with my HE-560 but maybe that's the Capella...Anyway, I will be interested to see which one is better out of the setup and to my ears.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #67 of 143
@dreamking : The BM2 has a slightly lean sound with some treble glare. With my HD800 it's really not a good match but maybe with a HE-560 it's better. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #68 of 143
Yeah, it is lean. But I don't think it would be as holographic without being lean. I don't know. Maybe the Caiman will make the midrange body stronger for the HE-560.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #69 of 143

You know, the more you talk about it, the less I wanna upgrade from the BM2 lmao. 

I told Sorrodje about this, I will be buying a CM2 this thursday for the variable preamp function, new firmware and the natural sound and will post comparisons here. I can't wait. The BM truly has an incredible realistic open soundstage and doesn't even have an ounce of treble peaks with my HE-560 but maybe that's the Capella...Anyway, I will be interested to see which one is better out of the setup and to my ears.

Nice, will look out for it as I use planars only and see you are a planars fan as well...I'm looking to combine the Beresford CM2 with Gustard H10 when I've finally saved up for both...by all accounts the H10 is a MONSTER combined with a wide variety of planars....

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #70 of 143
Keep in mind guys that CMIi as similar to BMIi has ability to mod the headphone section, look for Venom 4 mod.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #71 of 143
Keep in mind guys that CMIi as similar to BMIi has ability to mod the headphone section, look for Venom 4 mod.

Any improvements of the stock headphone section would be welcome. I'll give a look to that. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #72 of 143

Do you know a ballpark figure for this mod ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #74 of 143
  What you mean, price? Don't know. It is rather DIY job if you have some soldering skills. 

I see. I thought it might have been a ready-made insert.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #75 of 143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back