Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 143

Yep, good luck! Really hope it fixes your issue and I can't wait til you hear how amazing the Capella sounds.

Now I'm just figuring out what TOTL headphone I wanna buy next to make it an even better purchase. After that I might sell off the BM for a Caiman, but we'll see.

I see you started a Capella thread, I will post over there moving forward. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 143
Looking forward to any BM Mk2 vs Caiman Mk2 impressions. If the C Mk2 is a substantial improvement over BM Mk2, its a steal...as the BM Mk2 sound-staging/detail was superb.

EDIT : It's amazing to see how minimalist the BM Mk 2 is inside in post one vs something like A-gd stuff at the same price point.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #33 of 143
Hello,
Anyone is using moded BMII with Venom mod and Grado cans? Asking to see what caps and resistors values are you used around the headhone amp feedback gain? If possible anyone can post the picture or the details?

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #34 of 143
  Looking forward to any BM Mk2 vs Caiman Mk2 impressions. If the C Mk2 is a substantial improvement over BM Mk2, its a steal...as the BM Mk2 sound-staging/detail was superb.

EDIT : It's amazing to see how minimalist the BM Mk 2 is inside in post one vs something like A-gd stuff at the same price point.

Some BM II vs C II comparisons

Obviously, the Caiman has more features, for example, the Caiman II has one USB input, the Caiman II has a fixed/variable line out selector.
My BM II is black, my CII is silver, I prefer the silver finish with black lettering on my Caiman II.
My Bushmaster II has a black finish with white lettering, and a black volume control with gold highlights.  
I'm not too crazy about the gold highlights on the BM II's volume knob.

But how do they sound?
For this review: 
Source was a Little Dot CDP_II CD player via Toslink Optical SPDIF cable.

Via The Line Outs:

Line Out Comparisons were performed with both DACs driving my Stax SRS-2170 amp and headphone system.

Caiman Mk II seems to have superior transients, the drums just have more snap to them, guitars have a bit more snap and sparkle to them when the strings are plucked. Transients seem to start and stop with a bit more definition.
The Caiman Mk II also seems to sound a bit more open, and have a touch more midrange warmth. 
Bass is a bit tighter with the CII, bass can have a slight tubby sound to it with the BM II. 
The differences are not huge, they are indeed subtle, but I do find the C II to be a worthwhile sonic upgrade over the BM II.

Via The Bushmaster II's and Caiman II's Headphone Jacks:

The BM II and C II's headphone jacks both suffer the same affliction at low volume settings: the volume controls do not track very well around 7 o'clock, I can just barely get the volume control low enough for use with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones. Admittedly, these are a very sensitive pair of headphones; they do not require a lot of voltage to get them moving. But what does come out of either headphone jack is very good indeed. Either headphone jack adds a touch more treble detail to my ATH-ESW-9. But is that a good thing? And how do these headphone jacks compare to a dedicated headphone amplifier?  To be continued.....  

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 143

Started to perform some BM II vs C II comparisons today.
Obviously, the Caiman has more features, for example, the Caiman II has one USB input, the Caiman II has a fixed/variable line out selector.
My BM II is black, my CII is silver, I prefer the silver finish of my C II. 
And I'm not too crazy about the gold highlights on the BM II's black volume knob.

But how do they sound?
So far the Caiman Mk II seems to have superior transients, the drums just have more snap to them, guitars have a bit more snap and sparkle to them when the strings are plucked. Transients seem to start and stop with a bit more definition.
The Caiman Mk II also seems to sound a bit more open, and have a touch more midrange warmth. 
Bass is a bit tighter with the CII, bass has a slight tubby sound to it with the BM II. 
The differences are not huge, they are subtle, but I do find the C II to be a worthwhile upgrade over the BM II 

Comparisons were performed with both DACs driving my Stax SRS-2170 amp and headphone system.
Source was a Little Dot CDP_II CD player via Toslink Optical SPDIF cable.

Edit:
The BM II and C II's headphone jacks both suffer the same affliction at low volume settings: the volume controls do not track very well around 7 o'clock, I can just barely get the volume control low enough for use with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones. Admittedly, these are a very sensitive pair of headphones; they do not require a lot of voltage to get them moving. But what does come out of either headphone jack is very good indeed. In fact, the CM II's headphone jack is my preferred way of listening to my ATH-ESW9 'phones.

Did you notice what I found from my own experience with the BM2 as well the search I mentioned earlier? about the BM2 having a thin sound, bit of a harsh treble (at times) vs the CM2 sounding more analog. I think this is the part that makes me want the CM2 more. I'll take the overall better sound but the sound signature is more important. I'd rather be analogue sounding or more neutral.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #36 of 143
CM2 looking like it needs a lo/medium/high gain switch....a glaring design error unless I'm not getting something design-wise with that specific DAC/amp....multiple users now reporting not much volume dialabilty out of biasing phase (balancing the volume in left/right ear).

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #37 of 143
Did you notice what I found from my own experience with the BM2 as well the search I mentioned earlier? about the BM2 having a thin sound, bit of a harsh treble (at times) vs the CM2 sounding more analog. I think this is the part that makes me want the CM2 more. I'll take the overall better sound but the sound signature is more important. I'd rather be analogue sounding or more neutral.

I stil have to try the two headphone jacks with various headphones.
Gain is right where it needs to be when I use my AKG Q701, but the Qs sound better via my Matrix Quattro headphone amp.

CM2 looking like it needs a lo/medium/high gain switch....a glaring design error unless I'm not getting something design-wise with that specific DAC/amp....multiple users now reporting not much volume dialabilty out of biasing phase (balancing the volume in left/right ear).

A "glaring design error" is a bit dramatic, don't you think? :D
Both DACs are buil to a price point, best value for the money, etc.
Since I need adjustable gain, I will be picking up the Capella headphone amp.
And it's "channel imbalance", not "biasing phase"! :p
When I get somemore free time we will see that gain is more than adequate for my Q701 cans.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #38 of 143
Gain is right where it needs to be when I use my AKG Q701, but the Qs sound better via my Matrix Quattro headphone amp.
A "glaring design error" is a bit dramatic, don't you think?
biggrin.gif

Both DACs are buil to a price point, best value for the money, etc.
Since I need adjustable gain, I will be picking up the Capella headphone amp.
And it's "channel imbalance", not "biasing phase"!
tongue.gif

When I get somemore free time we will see that gain is more than adequate for my Q701 cans.

Just quoting how the designer words it..old school expression on old 70's amps vs 'balance'.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 143
Just quoting how the designer words it..old school expression on old 70's amps vs 'balance'.

Sounds like a weird excuse to cover up the fact that your typical volume control tracks very poorly at low levels.

But, at the the end of the day, if designing headphone amps and DACs was easy, everyone would do it! :wink_face:

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #40 of 143

I just mean the sound of the dac's. I'm not using the amp section on the BM2. So now I know you're basically comparing both the amp and dac sections of the BM2 and CM2 but are you not gonna compare the dac sections separately with your choice of amp? I think that's what most people do (sorry if you can't be bothered to do that too though I'd understand). 
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #41 of 143
I just mean the sound of the dac's. I'm not using the amp section on the BM2. So now I know you're basically comparing both the amp and dac sections of the BM2 and CM2 but are you not gonna compare the dac sections separately with your choice of amp? I think that's what most people do (sorry if you can't be bothered to do that too though I'd understand). :p

Hey,
The audio impressions were based on listening to the Line Outs driving a Stax SRS-2170 system, the Stax SRS-2170 is a headphone amplifier and a pair of electrostatic headphones.
Sorry for the confusion, I should have explained what the Stax system is. It is also the most transparent set of headphones that I own.
Basically I used the Stax driven by the Line Outs for a couple of hours to form my impressions, and used the headphone jacks with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for several minutes to compare the headphone jacks.

I do not think the BM II sounds thin or harsh at times with the music I was using, but I do plan on continuing the comparison with different program material. perhaps different program material will reveal some thinness and harshness.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #42 of 143
Copy/paste of what I wrote on another forum :wink: :

So : Here's my Story with Beresford Products :

First, I saw some trustable Head-fiers who lived with Beresford dacs for a  long time. That's always a good sign for  me when people keep their gear instead of selling and buying new toys every month.  So those affordable british DAC tried to interest me.  

in last september, I had a good opportunity to buy a used Bushmaster. So I bought it in order I could make my own opinion.  I plugged the dac in my current rig and listened to it.  Holy cow! The result was stunning with especially an impressive holographic soundstage. After a few days , my opinion changed a bit . Indeed Bushmaste's sound was a bit too lean overally and there was some little treble etch whitch is bothersome with the HD800. Very very good dac , expecially for the price but not well suited to my headphone. So, I ordered the bigger brother : the Caïman. I've read this one sounded more analogic. 

Caïman received in early october. This dac is still in my rig and I did extensive comparison with my Metrum Octave. Many people know well the Metrum products here so. To my ears, The Caïman mkII sounds incredibly good. its sound has the same analog sound than the metrum but with a bit less thickness , better soundstage (airy, holographic) and moreover better detail and dynamics.  I did extensive A/B , including some self organized "blind" comparison and those two dacs sounds close to my ears. I've ever thought about selling m beloved Octave. 

Considering the price of the Caïman , i'm currently thinking it's a pure bargain. 

I always doubt about my own impressions. so I organized a loan tour here in France  for my Caïman. Fortunately I have some trustable ears with Hi end headphone and speaker Rigs and I'm looking forward their impressions. Maybe I fool myself maybe not. we'll see. the loan tour begins next saturday.

I've my doubt about the amp section of Beresford DACS. tried the HO of both Bushmaster and Caïman and it didn't sound so good to my ears. I asked Stanley to optimize My Caïman's HO for high efficiency/LowZ heaphones though . But the Standard Bushmaster HO didn't sound good either. That been said , a friend of mine currently uses a  bushmaster with his headphones and he's happy. 
Stanley Beresford is very reluctant to share its technical choices and it's quite hard for me to understand how its products work. Its sounds darn good to my ears . That's all I know. 

Trust me , I'm not affiliated to Beresford by any means and I've paid my DACs at the full price  :)p13

I wrote this in last november. the Loan tour is finished and all my friends appreciated a lot the Caïman :) .

IMO this Caîman mkII is the best way to go when we're after some analog yet resolving sound. not as good as R2R for texture rendering but not far. Definitely a great dac to associate with sharp/bright headphone. I would definitely avoid the HO though. IMO it's definitely craptastic because it transforms drastiscally the sound. If you're after a very warm and upfront coloration, it can be enjoyable though. but that's not accurate by far :wink: 

my 2 cents 

I promised some comparison between the Caïman and the Meier DACCORD too. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #43 of 143

I wrote this in last november. the Loan tour is finished and all my friends appreciated a lot the Caïman :) .

IMO this Caîman mkII is the best way to go when we're after some analog yet resolving sound. not as good as R2R for texture rendering but not far. Definitely a great dac to associate with sharp/bright headphone. I would definitely avoid the HO though. IMO it's definitely craptastic because it transforms drastiscally the sound. If you're after a very warm and upfront coloration, it can be enjoyable though. but that's not accurate by far :wink: 

my 2 cents 

I am planning to post more impressions later, but I do not like the sound of either headphone jack driving my AKG Q701.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #44 of 143
Hey,
The audio impressions were based on listening to the Line Outs driving a Stax SRS-2170 system, the Stax SRS-2170 is a headphone amplifier and a pair of electrostatic headphones.
Sorry for the confusion, I should have explained what the Stax system is. It is also the most transparent set of headphones that I own.
Basically I used the Stax driven by the Line Outs for a couple of hours to form my impressions, and used the headphone jacks with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for several minutes to compare the headphone jacks.

I do not think the BM II sounds thin or harsh at times with the music I was using, but I do plan on continuing the comparison with different program material. perhaps different program material will reveal some thinness and harshness.

AH, gotcha. I know what a Stax system is, I just didn't read that part lol. Alright, interested in your possible conclusion on how they compare in sound signature.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #45 of 143

my 2 cents 

This is the EXACT forum post I had found before, explaining the analogue vs digital sound of the DACs! Was looking for it for reference again but couldn't find it.

Thanks 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back