Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

cyberridz

100+ Head-Fier
My new Beresford Bushmaster MKII has just arrived.  It is currently set up and connected to a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amplifier. I am now trying to compare the Bushmaster MKII to the Schiit Modi which I had purchased before - to run with the Asgard 2. Will post some initial thoughts on how it compares with the Modi - and also the HRT Music Streamer II.

Anyone here care to comment on the Bushmaster MKII?

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 143
What I found is that the DAC runs on a Wolfson WM8524 DAC chip by Wolfson Microelectronics.

My initial reactions to the Bushmaster (compared to the Modi) are as follows.

Beresford Bushmaster MKII

• Full bodied sound
• Bass is clean and punchy
• Non-fatiguing midrange
• Laid-back highs
• Voices sound more full-bodied
• Pleasant to listen to for a long period of time
• Excellent soundstage (not as wide as the Modi's, but still pretty decent)
• A more laid-back DAC
• Warm sounding
• Very transparent and "uncolored" (but at times a bit tame - as there doesn't seem to be much contrast between vocals and instruments, as both sound equally loud)

Schiit Modi:

• Very detailed
• Expansive soundstage
• Bright
• Punchy midrange
• Detailed highs
• Vocals sound sparkly, punchy and clear and beautiful to listen to, but can be thin at times - especially male vocals
• Can be a little bit thin sounding at times
• Great for classical music
• fast and dynamic, upfront performance
• Transparent but not "cold"
• Not as loud as most DACs using the same equivalent (amplifier) volume

HRT Music Streamer II

There is actually not a lot of difference between the Bushmaster MKII and the MSII. There are some slight differences, but generally the two DACs are pretty much similar. The most noticeable difference being, that soundstage is slightly smaller with the MSII. Another difference would be the fact that voices sound a tad more realistic and some things are slightly more detailed on the MSII (the MSII is also the most "musical" sounding of all the three DACs - as it is the most punchy and "bassy" DAC of the group, sounding very warm and pleasant to listen to). But the two DACs are very close and sound very much similar. Voices also sound a little closer with the two DACs when compares to the Schiit Modi. If it weren't for the Modi's amazing soundstage, the MSII would easily beat the other two DACs.

Some thoughts on the Beresford Bushmaster MKII:

The only main gripe I have with the Beresford Bushmaster MKII is probably on the build quality. The whole thing is constructed pretty solidly; but the only thing I would like to be improved on would probably be on the volume knob - as it is a little cheap feeling. I guess it can be modded and replaced with a different one - if one so wishes to do so. Another would be a little too much clutter on the faceplate design. Minimizing labels on the faceplate would make it look much nicer and maybe even positioning the power button on the back of the unit would be nice too. Other than that, it is an amazing DAC for the price.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 143
I have only had the modi for a small bit of time because I preferred my iMac headphone out to the modi. That was an old memory though but I didn't like it. It had a roll off in the sub bass and the instruments weren't as smoothly separated.

The bushmaster IMO is an excellent sounding DAC. It has a noiseless background, Its not bright, but a pretty smooth sounding piece of kit. I totally agree with the build quality. But the sound makes up for it. 

Actually the best budget piece of kit I have owned thus far.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 143
I have the Beresford Bushmaster MKII and it sounds outstanding IMO. I have purchased an Anker Astro Pro external battery and I believe it sounds even better. I do not feel the build quality is sub-par and find it sounds smooth, musical and able to extract maximum detail. Excellent DAC.

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 143

i'm just in the middle of starting to listen to my new Beresford Caiman Mk II.
When I get some spare time, I'll try comparing the Bushmaster II to the Caiman II.
I basically got the Caiman as I needed a USB input, BTW.
Initial impressions are that the Caiman II headphone jack has great synergy with my Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 'phones.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 143
Please let me know your impressions of the Caiman when you have had the time to evaluate it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 143
Please let me know your impressions of the Caiman when you have had the time to evaluate it.

Sure thing, so far I'm really liking it.
I bought mine in silver, I prefer this colur over my black Bushmaster II.
CD transport sounds excellent via a Toslink connection.
More later...

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 143

More Caiman II impressions:
Lately I've been comparing the Optical input with the RCA coaxial input from the same CD transport.
Oddly enough, the Toslink sounds smoother, the RCA sounds very slightly brighter and harsher.

So far, the Caiman II sound is very addictive via Toslink.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 143
I still think my Bush 1 has astonishing bang for the buck. I'd also like to hear more impressions about the Caiman. That USB input might be useful soon.

Chris,
Can I bother you to post some random thoughts once in a while about both DACs and a bit of a comparo between optical and USB?

Happy New year all!

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 143
  I still think my Bush 1 has astonishing bang for the buck. I'd also like to hear more impressions about the Caiman. That USB input might be useful soon.

Chris,
Can I bother you to post some random thoughts once in a while about both DACs and a bit of a comparo between optical and USB?

Happy New year all!

Sure, no problem!
A friend of mine says his Bushmaster Mk I is just as good as some DACs he has that he has paid more for.
He prefers his Bushmaster over his Schitt Bifrost.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 143
Easily the best DAC price to performance piece. The guy who told me about it was using his resonessence labs concero as an optical converter to the much cheaper bushmaster. The volume knob is far from smooth in use and it could use more ins and outs. The owner needs to go and help Schiit out in sound and schiit needs to help him out in design.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 143
I've read some talk on build quality but I find my Bushmaster MKII is built really well, my volume knob also turns smooth with no changes in resistance. Maybe they are talking about internal build quality and I am not qualified to comment on that. Never even opened my unit, no need to. 
Anyone have any info on the new Capella amp? That looks interesting...

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 143
The build quality is fine, I can only guess people are referring to the casework.
The cases are simple and functional.
Sure, the case is not as attractive as Schiit, for example, but if you open one up, the build quality is quite good.
And if it sounds good......

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 143
I don't mind being in the minorty on the build. I am specifically talking about:
-the volume knob meeting resistance at certain increments
-the ring around the volume knob's face having an odd color
-the overall build just felt a bit cheap to me and thin even if it was standard
-not a fan of the leds and somewhat dated look
(All black version)

However, even so the sound at that price is an absolute steal. You reading what I am writing of those things that are contrary to my taste seems like I am making a bit deal but this amp/dac is like going to your favorite restaurant that is in a whole in the wall. You simply don't care what it looks like, or the stupid bell on the door. Only that its clean and has the best food around with the plaques to prove it, and you can afford to eat there everyday if you wanted.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 143
My Bush 1 never had any problems. On the looks side I guess those devices could use a bit of work. But... Stan has stated several times that cases are expensive for the volume he sells so to keep costs down he puts his best efforts on R&D and components. He knows his business better than I do :).

I wouldn't mind paying more for a cleaner look and better casing materials though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back