Beoplay E8
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #196 of 581
Amazon has Comply tips. 2 days from order to delivery.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #197 of 581
My E8s shift left about every other outdoor walk I take. The shift happens immediately after a drop-out. The soundstage shifts from centered to the 10am position (if a watch face was parallel to the ground). I've been able to quickly fix this by turning off bluetooth on my iPhone, then turning it back on, then starting the song again.

I wonder if some of the E8s faults are temperature or humidity related. The temperature on my walks has been between 30-45F. There's a thermal coefficient of resistance that affects most electronic components that might be changing the parametric performance of the circuitry. Also, if the components are mounted on polyimides such as Upilex or Kapton, these materials absorb about 2-4% by weight of moisture. Since water has a strong dipole behavior, the dielectric constant of the substrate under the high frequency components and antennas might be changing, as well as the loss tangent of the material. In this case, signal loss and transceiver efficiency might be changing with increased moisture absorption. Redesign with more tolerance margin or switch materials to an ABF or LCP substrate. Some disruption may also occur if the NFMI circuit is supplied by a DC/DC buck converter with an insufficiently sized storage capacitor. In this case, voltage droops during times of high magnetic field energization may be causing circuit reset behavior; if so, (1) switch to a DC/DC converter with a lower RDSon resistance and (2) bump up the storage capacitor value or (3) increase the working switching frequency. Ensure adequate isolation between the NFMI drive supply and the rest of the audio chain to minimize Power/Ground Distribution Noise (PDN) that could be amplified by the output drivers. (A few thoughts for the next design spin.)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #198 of 581
My E8s shift left about every other outdoor walk I take. The shift happens immediately after a drop-out. The soundstage shifts from centered to the 10am position (if a watch face was parallel to the ground). I've been able to quickly fix this by turning off bluetooth on my iPhone, then turning it back on, then starting the song again.

I wonder if some of the E8s faults are temperature or humidity related. The temperature on my walks has been between 30-45F. There's a thermal coefficient of resistance that affects most electronic components that might be changing the parametric performance of the circuitry. Also, if the components are mounted on polyimides such as Upilex or Kapton, these materials absorb about 2-4% by weight of moisture. Since water has a strong dipole behavior, the dielectric constant of the substrate under the high frequency components and antennas might be changing, as well as the loss tangent of the material. In this case, signal loss and transceiver efficiency might be changing with increased moisture absorption. Redesign with more tolerance margin or switch materials to an ABF or LCP substrate. Some disruption may also occur if the NFMI circuit is supplied by a DC/DC buck regulator with an insufficiently sized storage capacitor. In this case, voltage droops during times of high magnetic field energization may be causing circuit reset behavior; if so, (1) switch to a DC/DC converter with a lower RDSon resistance and (2) bump up the storage capacitor value or (3) increase the working switching frequency. Ensure adequate isolation between the NFMI drive supply and the rest of the audio chain to minimize Power/Ground Distribution Noise (PDN) that could be amplified by the output drivers. (A few thoughts for the next design spin.)

Yeah, I was thinking that too! Just kidding, but interesting nevertheless.

Actually, I’ve noticed that when my iPhone is connected to more than one Bluetooth device, the dropouts are much more frequent. For instance, if I have the E8s on in a car that my iPhone has been connected to, dropouts happen frequently. Also, If I simply open the AirPods case, the E8s start dropping out.

By the way, on the underside of the E8, on the ring around the connectors/chargers, paint is starting to peel off. Anyone else have this issue? I’m guessing it’s from taking them in and out of the case. I don’t know if I should ask for a replacement because of it.

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #199 of 581

I wonder if some of the E8s faults are temperature or humidity related. The temperature on my walks has been between 30-45F. There's a thermal coefficient of resistance that affects most electronic components that might be changing the parametric performance of the circuitry. Also, if the components are mounted on polyimides such as Upilex or Kapton, these materials absorb about 2-4% by weight of moisture. Since water has a strong dipole behavior, the dielectric constant of the substrate under the high frequency components and antennas might be changing, as well as the loss tangent of the material. In this case, signal loss and transceiver efficiency might be changing with increased moisture absorption. Redesign with more tolerance margin or switch materials to an ABF or LCP substrate. Some disruption may also occur if the NFMI circuit is supplied by a DC/DC buck regulator with an insufficiently sized storage capacitor. In this case, voltage droops during times of high magnetic field energization may be causing circuit reset behavior; if so, (1) switch to a DC/DC converter with a lower RDSon resistance and (2) bump up the storage capacitor value or (3) increase the working switching frequency. Ensure adequate isolation between the NFMI drive supply and the rest of the audio chain to minimize Power/Ground Distribution Noise (PDN) that could be amplified by the output drivers. (A few thoughts for the next design spin.)

I have a similar issue, not infrequently. I normally have my iPhone in my right greasy pocket of my suit. Once in awhile when I turn my head I bet a drop out, and once in those whiles I get that left channel soundstage movement. But mainly the vocals....... a quick pause (either through the remote control on the Apple Watch or the phone itself) and it is all good

I thought it was because I was a fat person and the signal had so much body mass to go through. But yours sounds far more logical (even though I don’t understand any of it)

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #200 of 581
How do these sound compared to the Samsung iconx 2018? Are they better, explain in detail?

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #201 of 581
Tip update: received my order of Comply Comfort Plus (TSX-200) today. The E8 has never sounded better, and I have been really impressed by the amount of bass I now hear. If you're still looking for the perfect tip for your E8, the Comply Comfort Plus might be worth a try. Of course, YMMV.

And to add to this:
I received a set of Mandarine tips and a set of Comply Isolation T200 without the wax guard.

The Mandarine tips were to me a bit strident and lost some of the bass

My experience with the Comply Isolation tips mirrored Jazzi's comments above - absolutely spectacular! Crystal clear, superb bass and very nice isolation. I am going to test these out on an airplane flight this week and also bring my H9's with me. If the E8's can more or less do the job on the plane then the H9's will be gone. The E8's are so much more transportable.

I fully expect them to be able to compete with the H9's on the plane as the ANC of the H9's was not a full blown version capable of matching something like the QC35's or the Sony 1000X's. Its ANC capabilities were tempered to increase its sound quality so I am hoping that the E8's can accomplish a similar feat with Comply Isolation Tips.

I actually think the E8's with Comply tips sound a bit better than the H9's

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #202 of 581
So anyone else having those frequent connection drops? I don't mean a full connection drop... The left one goes silent for a split second and right plays both L and R in mono. Happens in less than a second and immediately goes back to normal.
Really distracting from a song and happens every third or second song or so...
Kinda off putting and making them less fun for me...

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #203 of 581
So anyone else having those frequent connection drops? I don't mean a full connection drop... The left one goes silent for a split second and right plays both L and R in mono. Happens in less than a second and immediately goes back to normal.
Really distracting from a song and happens every third or second song or so...
Kinda off putting and making them less fun for me...
I do too, but it`s more like once in 3 songs or so. Try a total reset, maybe uninstall and reinstall the app, unpair, re pair them. It helped me with other problems like sound shifting to the left. Come back and tell us if it made a difference. Try them on other devices or PC too, might be related to the source BT power

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #204 of 581
I do too, but it`s more like once in 3 songs or so. Try a total reset, maybe uninstall and reinstall the app, unpair, re pair them. It helped me with other problems like sound shifting to the left. Come back and tell us if it made a difference. Try them on other devices or PC too, might be related to the source BT power

I get only when there is a magnetic field. For example when you walk pass those supermarket beeping things or London Underground train doors. Other times no.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #205 of 581
A specific fluorescent light switch in my house causes a split second hiccup in E8 when I throw the switch.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #206 of 581
Im sorry but this is unacceptable for me, i run the iconx 2018 with zero drop outs, i tried alot other truewireless and many had drop out problems, i cant stand that, not even for a split second, i took them all back.

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #207 of 581
Iconx 2018 an all around panacea?

Amazon reviews show iconx similarly spotty as E8. This guy experienced dropouts +

Pros - Sound quality is pretty good - Nice app interface - Great looking design ...
ByEitan Sabanon February 7, 2018
Verified Purchase
Pros
- Sound quality is pretty good
- Nice app interface
- Great looking design

Cons
- Fit is mediocre and really hurts to get used to
- Sound cuts out occasionally
- The tap controls rarely ever work
- I've owned two pair of these earbuds (one bought and one replaced) that have both had one earbud stop working almost completely and have had to return both of them within the first week of owning each!
Read less

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #208 of 581
I'm still very happy with mine. Very few dropouts and I got them in early December.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #209 of 581
I'm still very happy with mine. Very few dropouts and I got them in early December.
I can only confirm. Very happy. Very few drop outs, most of those related to magnetic fields. And only for a split second. Try to reset all. The E8 remembers settings! So maybe also the “bad stuff”.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #210 of 581
Well, my room must be a magnetic field then haha
I use them on three devices one of them is a Mac and while not moving or switching anything on I get those split second drop outs...
Every third song is already too much for me ...
I haven’t tried one thing, resetting them completely. I will try that. Otherwise I have tried everything I think. Forget the device in iOS and Mac settings. Uninstalling app. Using on three different devices. Guess those are easily disturbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back