Beoplay E8
Jan 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #186 of 581
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #187 of 581
I never close the case without the elastic band safety on. It's a reflex now, it's almost impossible to lose them this way. Unless you misplace the whole package :))
That case design really is superb, kudos to B&0. Other cases I've seen are big and bulky and typically don't have any way you can fix a strap on, which severely reduces portability. I travel very light (oftentimes I just leave for work with a pair of headphones) and all I do is fix the case to the belt loop on my pants and off I go. You can't do that with other cases so you either have to throw them in your bag (if you're even carrying one), throw them in your pants pocket which creates an unsightly bulge, or hold them in your hand. B&O's design chops really are the best in the business.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #188 of 581
It’s not that unsightly :wink:

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #189 of 581
Speaking of design chops does anyone have a preference for color? I have a grey pair and am very tempted to return them for black. The grey does not look as rich as the black - although I have not seen the black in person - only in photos.

Then again I am also nervous as my grey pair have exhibited no problems at all - just concerned I might get a problematic pair if I change them

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #190 of 581
Speaking of design chops does anyone have a preference for color? I have a grey pair and am very tempted to return them for black. The grey does not look as rich as the black - although I have not seen the black in person - only in photos.

Then again I am also nervous as my grey pair have exhibited no problems at all - just concerned I might get a problematic pair if I change them

I toiled over gray vs black, until I saw that Amazon was getting restocked on gray. In which case I figured it would be latest made and possibly with improvements folded in. Happy it came in with none of the frustrations that have been reported.

The toiling part was how many black accessories I have and a desire to go another way. I figured gray would be the less conspicuous of a bud that's reasonably small and compact compared to what had come out around the same time. Also toiled with B&O marketing deciding to show the attractive lady sporting gray, throwing me off somewhat that it was destined to be a women's bud; and that some photography of it made it appear that the reflective ring was not silver, but a warm toned metal finish.

Having said that, the absence of issues and the buds being conspicuous enough sealed the deal upon arrival and thoughts of black buds faded. The ease of obtaining pleasing sound, even using the most basic silicone tips that never enhanced prior IEM's I've owned, let alone oft-mentioned tips known to improve sound in various ways, I'm really on a pleasure trip with these.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #192 of 581
I'm actually picking tips out of my collection to be less isolating rather than more for periodic use on my E8. Specifically in the event of phone calls.

Having both ears plugged at max isolation is good for my listening, but not for my speaking. That's where an open design such as Airpods can rule. Yet, both E8 and Airpods transmit loud ambient sounds.

Doing a test phone call with isolated E8, my wife says I am sounding similar to Lou Ferigno; as though I am hard of hearing or deaf. What improved hearing myself with E8 is removal of the left bud to take a call.

Other times total isolation is not helpful is when walking. I feel in my ears the thud of feet pounding the pavement.

This, after having for curiosity sake picked out an assortment of tips I had acquired around 2012 and selected the most isolating among them.

Some are foam, some gel, some silicone. Weird was when I discovered my Klipsch dual flange, unused for all those years, did great isolation for me, but then ultimately didn't fit into the charging case — just a wee bit too long.

Still isolating champions are my Spinfits and Comply foam, but it was fun messing around with the others, trying to discern differences.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #193 of 581
Tip update: received my order of Comply Comfort Plus (TSX-200) today. The E8 has never sounded better, and I have been really impressed by the amount of bass I now hear. If you're still looking for the perfect tip for your E8, the Comply Comfort Plus might be worth a try. Of course, YMMV.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #194 of 581
Other times total isolation is not helpful is when walking. I feel in my ears the thud of feet pounding the pavement.
This!
I have the E8 for a few days now, grey with the golden ring. Thinking about returning them for the black ones... That shiny gold ring is more shiny and golden under sunlight than I thought :p
I only had one major connection dropout that had me resetting everything.
Otherwise they work great.
Except for a strange millisecond dropout that shifts ALL the sound a millisecond to the right, then ALL the sound a millisecond to the left and the next millisecond its back to normal. Startling when it happens... but doesn't overshadow the rest for me.

But the feet thuds... I never had that with my other IEMs... I have the Sony hybrid tips and no matter what size I use the thud adds beat and base to all my songs :p
Any recommendation for a tip-kind that's better for outside walking? haven't tried comply but I don't like how long it takes to take them in.

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #195 of 581
This!
I have the E8 for a few days now, grey with the golden ring. Thinking about returning them for the black ones... That shiny gold ring is more shiny and golden under sunlight than I thought :p
I only had one major connection dropout that had me resetting everything.
Otherwise they work great.
Except for a strange millisecond dropout that shifts ALL the sound a millisecond to the right, then ALL the sound a millisecond to the left and the next millisecond its back to normal. Startling when it happens... but doesn't overshadow the rest for me.

But the feet thuds... I never had that with my other IEMs... I have the Sony hybrid tips and no matter what size I use the thud adds beat and base to all my songs :p
Any recommendation for a tip-kind that's better for outside walking? haven't tried comply but I don't like how long it takes to take them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back