Benjie Offical Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #991 of 2,126
I haven't used either the X3 or Fiio so couldn't definitively say, there's nothing exceptional about the S5 other than value though, as you say it can be had considerably cheaper than the X2 and much less than X3 or Fiio players and the bundled phones are nice. It's not going to win any awards for sound or UI but likewise it won't disappoint for the money either.

I bought it cause I can't afford a Shanling. :frowning2: I hope the Benjie S5 does me okay. I also have a Walnut v2 on order though, but that's not going to be a daily player or will it?

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #992 of 2,126
The Walnut will probably be ur daily player between the 2. Only bad thing is there isnt a screen.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #995 of 2,126
It sounds like all those people saying the Benjie S5 is better than the Xduoo X3/Fiio 3II etc., might be wrong? The X2 is around $50, and the Benjie is only about $20. less. Maybe they're feeling the Placebo effect from reading all the messages on this thread? (I've read every one!)

I have AGPtek M20 and while it is very good for its price, my Fiio X3ii is still better sounding

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #996 of 2,126
I have AGPtek M20 and while it is very good for its price, my Fiio X3ii is still better sounding

I'd hope so too, considering the X3ii is around 8-10x the price of the S5. I believe those who think the S5 challenges the likes of the X3 or even the X1 for that matter are being somewhat naive. The S5 is a very good sounding budget player, it's cheaper than a couple of packs of cigarettes in the UK, for value it's hard to beat but let's not kid ourselves suggesting this is some sort of premium device, it just punches above its weight in the budget market.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #997 of 2,126
I have an iPod Nano 2nd gen, how would the S5 fare against the iPod? My iPod is over 10 years old now and the battery is kinda wonky recently, and I'm thinking to get a new DAP altogether (changing the battery takes so much work plus I'm stuck with 4GB)

If it's so much worse than the iPod then I'll skip the the S5, else, I'm kind of interested..

Not even comparable....S5 is way better

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #999 of 2,126
  How much better sounding is it? 25%? Or...

I am not sure how to rate the differences in percentile, so let me put it this way:

If I don't compare them side by side, then I am perfectly happy with the sound of the S5/M20, but doing a side by side comparison, the difference is noticeable.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,000 of 2,126
  I am not sure how to rate the differences in percentile, so let me put it this way:

If I don't compare them side by side, then I am perfectly happy with the sound of the S5/M20, but doing a side by side comparison, the difference is noticeable.

Which is what you should expect
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,002 of 2,126
The player is actually far away from the SQ of the sansa clip+. I have to say, that I'm disappointed. It is "ok" on lower sound levels but it gets very messy as the volume goes upper (I'm using VE monk+). Now I feel like I wasted 20 euros, as this player doesn't meet my standards:S

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,004 of 2,126
After about ~15 in volume the dynamics are start to decrease and the sound get somewhat distorted -you no loger able to separate the insturments. If you have any other device as a reference you should hear that too ( I have an x-fi hd->cyrus 1->mission 760 as my desktop, and a sansa clip+ as my portable). Other than that the player has its values (like its not noisy, and it looks and feels great), but it just doesn't deliver the sound of the clip+ that i used to.

Maybe it is not the players fault its just that I have to pay a lot more to get the successor of the clip+:) (xduoo x2 maybe?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back