Benjie Offical Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,621 of 2,126
hmmm...which do you prefer between benjie S5 or benjie X1 in terms of sound and stability (less bugs, etc.) ?

I can only speak for the Benjie X1, but my experience with it has not been pleasant. If you check out the previous posts on this thread you can find what I said about it. Long story short, the interface is quite buggy at times, sometimes it gets stuck at the screen where it says you have to hold the power button for 3 seconds to turn off the player, and when I try to play music from the internal storage or my SD card there's a very noticable buzzing sound in the background which SERIOUSLY distracts me from my music. The same noise can be heard even when the volume is set to zero (so it's definitely not my music at fault here) and I can hear a small but still notable buzzing sound every time I press a button to navigate my folders on my SD card. Soundwise it sounds a tad tinny but maybe it's because I'm using the KZ ZS5 V1's, which I hear are very source dependant.

I'm just gonna give the product the benefit of the doubt and say that it's probably defective (I just got a response this morning from my seller about my request for a refund; they don't want to give my money back apparently :frowning2:) but I love the overall feel of the UI and build quality so much that I'm willing to buy another from a different seller to see if things end up differently.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #1,622 of 2,126
I can only speak for the Benjie X1, but my experience with it has not been pleasant. If you check out the previous posts on this thread you can find what I said about it. Long story short, the interface is quite buggy at times, sometimes it gets stuck at the screen where it says you have to hold the power button for 3 seconds to turn off the player, and when I try to play music from the internal storage or my SD card there's a very noticable buzzing sound in the background which SERIOUSLY distracts me from my music. The same noise can be heard even when the volume is set to zero (so it's definitely not my music at fault here) and I can hear a small but still notable buzzing sound every time I press a button to navigate my folders on my SD card. Soundwise it sounds a tad tinny but maybe it's because I'm using the KZ ZS5 V1's, which I hear are very source dependant.

I'm just gonna give the product the benefit of the doubt and say that it's probably defective (I just got a response this morning from my seller about my request for a refund; they don't want to give my money back apparently :frowning2:) but I love the overall feel of the UI and build quality so much that I'm willing to buy another from a different seller to see if things end up differently.
I think you may have a defective unit. I've not experience any buzzing whatsoever, just a bit of a loud pop when turning it on or off.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #1,623 of 2,126
Morning folks,
I decided to buy a Benjie S5 as everyone here seems to be quite positive about them. I got one from ebay for £16, and I must admit that the sound quality for such a cheap player is very good, and I do like the radio reception. I do have a small issue though. Whenever I try to play from the memory card, it reboots the player. I can see all the albums (WAVE file) but as soon as I select a song it resets. does anyone have any thoughts on this. I've tried a card full of 320 mp3's and its OK

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,624 of 2,126
Morning folks,
I decided to buy a Benjie S5 as everyone here seems to be quite positive about them. I got one from ebay for £16, and I must admit that the sound quality for such a cheap player is very good, and I do like the radio reception. I do have a small issue though. Whenever I try to play from the memory card, it reboots the player. I can see all the albums (WAVE file) but as soon as I select a song it resets. does anyone have any thoughts on this. I've tried a card full of 320 mp3's and its OK
Are they standard resolution, i.e. 44.1kHz/16-bit wave files?

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #1,627 of 2,126
Hi eaglesgift, yes they are. I've put similar files on the internal memory, and they are OK. I've tried the card in my rockboxed sansa, and it runs. I wonder if I have to reformat the card before trying it in the S5 again.
I don't think I've got any wave files on the card in my S5 but I'll try some tonight and see what happens, just in case it's a problem not limited to your card/player.

EDIT: Tried one and it worked fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful - hope you sort the problem out.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,628 of 2,126
Hi, just in from work, so tried formatting the card, and no joy. Formatted the card in the s5, still no luck. I've sent an email of to the seller. Only problem is they are in China, I'm in Scotland, to send it back for a replacement will probably take up to the end of the year. It does work with mp3 files so not all is lost.

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,629 of 2,126
Hi, just in from work, so tried formatting the card, and no joy. Formatted the card in the s5, still no luck. I've sent an email of to the seller. Only problem is they are in China, I'm in Scotland, to send it back for a replacement will probably take up to the end of the year. It does work with mp3 files so not all is lost.
Does it work with FLAC files?

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,631 of 2,126
I haven't tried FLAC. It was only last week I was introduced to DBpoweramp as I've been using wma to rip everything. I've got FLAC file on a card somewhere, when I find it I'll give it a try.
Hunting for it will be better than watching my team get annihilated. :darthsmile:
Ooh, you're a Celtic fan, I'm not going to help you then. :)

It's very easy to convert from WAV to FLAC with dbPoweramp, or with CueTools, which is free. Just a thought - they're definitely .wav files and not .wv (WavPack) files?

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #1,633 of 2,126
Hey mate have you tried with different headphones/earphones? That is defiantly a power issue maybe try with a higher impedance can? It will be less noticeable because they are harder to drive and take more power to run thus decreasing the background noise. I know you shouldn't have to but see if it makes a difference?
Maybe that is why my X1 is okay i can hear some background hiss but not to bad to be honest.

The other issue with the popping sound while plugging headphones is a ground issue for sure.

When using my KZ ED12 i can hear the sound but when using my Yamaha can i can not hear it. I do have slight tinnitus lol

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,635 of 2,126
Hey mate have you tried with different headphones/earphones? That is defiantly a power issue maybe try with a higher impedance can? It will be less noticeable because they are harder to drive and take more power to run thus decreasing the background noise. I know you shouldn't have to but see if it makes a difference?
Maybe that is why my X1 is okay i can hear some background hiss but not to bad to be honest.

The other issue with the popping sound while plugging headphones is a ground issue for sure.

When using my KZ ED12 i can hear the sound but when using my Yamaha can i can not hear it. I do have slight tinnitus lol

I've tried it with the KZ ZS5, KZ ED9, A-Jays Five (Android) and Audiofly AF56, all of which but the ED9 have 16 Ohms, (ED9 has 18), and yeah, the background noise is very strong. But I did try them with my AKG Y50BT and Koss UR55 (Grill/soundstage mod) which had 36 Ohms. The AKGs no longer have any earcups (lol) and the Koss only works on the right ear, but I could still hear the background noise. You were right, though - the background noise significantly decreased. If I could get my hands on cheap DJ cans with even higher impendance from maybe Monoprice I'd be able to see if the noise gets even quieter...

I could consider invest in cheap (relatively speaking) amps to see if the background noise gets quieter too but I'm very new to the topic and don't know what to get for my low impedance IEMs/buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back