Benelux Meeting Impressions, Feb 4th.
Feb 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #91 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillmetoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking of the CD: by dropping the binaural item from our meeting I also didn't have the opportunity to explain why I recorded what I recorded.

Ah, that explains it. I initially thought that the first tracks were a mistake, as they weren't binaural recordings.
smily_headphones1.gif

In that respect, you put a lot of thought into compiling the tracks.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #92 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillmetoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that ain't a shame, a pity maybe. I never came to listen to your IEM which seems more like a shame. You don't get the opportunity to listen to IEM's and compare them to fullgrown cans everyday.

You must confuse me with someone else, I have no IEM's. I was the weirdo with the K-1000 setup in the corner. Not quite an IEM.
k1000smile.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #93 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More pics for those who couldnt get enough. And sorry guys if I am to often on pictures. Blame my buddy on this one...
wink.gif

Speaking of Ilya, did he get anything out of the meet? I had a little chat with him and it seemed he's more into speakers?

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #94 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on a great looking meet!

Hey! Good to see you in this thread. The review you and Miguel did was the reason my first portable amp was the Go-Vibe. Thanks for that.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #95 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must confuse me with someone else, I have no IEM's. I was the weirdo with the K-1000 setup in the corner. Not quite an IEM.
k1000smile.gif

I think only Hans and I had IEMs at the meet? But I can see us three are easily confused.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #96 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by
I'm glad the Go-Vibe found a home where it is appreciated. It was clear you could hear the difference. Also, I was surprised you started talking about disappearing noise levels, clarity of sound, improved bass response. I couldn't have wished for more. You [i

deserve the amp.

Just don't come crying to me when your wallet is hurting from upgraditis. If you do, I will mercifully throw your own words in your face
very_evil_smiley.gif
:

By the way, was using Ultrasone Blue for your eyeshadow a coincidence?
biggrin.gif
[/i]

The vibe is being good taking care of. I found a great bag today where both my ipod and the amp nicely fit in without disturbing the cables.
The difference was so obvious that I knew I was gonna buy me one. Till you came up
biggrin.gif

My wallet will be safe for a while now I think. Altough I feel the vibe in checking out different amps in order to discover improvement. But that's for later
biggrin.gif
I do have more things on my wanna-have-list and it has nothing to do with audio.
First gonna burn in my 750s properly
eggosmile.gif

I always wear that eyeshadow, they were a silent hint for me to buy headphones that match the color..
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #97 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wallet will be safe for a while now I think. Altough I feel the vibe in checking out different amps in order to discover improvement. But that's for later
biggrin.gif

Smart move. You need to get used to something before you can really appreciate a difference.

Quote:

I do have more things on my wanna-have-list and it has nothing to do with audio.

Wanna buy my Nikkor 85mm f/1.4?
icon10.gif

Quote:

I always wear that eyeshadow, they were a silent hint for me to buy headphones that match the color..
tongue.gif

Yeah, trust your feelings. I tell that to everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #98 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wanna buy my Nikkor 85mm f/1.4?
icon10.gif

Oeww Nice one!! But I am looking for the 17-55 f2.8 for my d200 and a 70-200 f2,8 (my 80-200 had been stolen some time ago
mad.gif
)
But that is something my wallet doesn't allow me to buy at the moment.
A Lot of patience will get me there someday
orphsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #99 of 198
For the first time he heard RS1, back when we were at the mini-meet at Digitalmind home, he want it them badly.
But after last meet, K1000 is on his list. No wonder, cos like you said, he is in the speaker world, kind of.
wink.gif

Quote:

Speaking of Ilya, did he get anything out of the meet? I had a little chat with him and it seemed he's more into speakers?

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #100 of 198
hey guys,
Sorry that I wasn't there saturday, my girlfriend's grandma was literally dying that day... so I had to stay with my girl
I'm now gonna drool threw the pages, seeing what I could've been hearing.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #101 of 198
Quote:

I think only Hans and I had IEMs at the meet? But I can see us three are easily confused.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Exactly. Couldn't tell you apart from the start.
No my mistake. I thought you posted the remark about my DIY-in-an-equalizer, so I meant your IEMs.

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #102 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys,
Sorry that I wasn't there saturday, my girlfriend's grandma was literally dying that day... so I had to stay with my girl
I'm now gonna drool threw the pages, seeing what I could've been hearing.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that.
There are things in life more important than cans, I'm affraid. Hope to see you some other time.
And yes, I think you missed a great opportunity to meet fellow patients and listen to their awesome stuff. Sorry for that too.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #103 of 198
Here are some of my delayed impressions. I learned quite a bit.

The highlights for me were the Omega II, the PPX Slam, the W1000, and the Aspen 823. The Heed Monoblocks were dead sexy aswell, beautiful in appearance and sound. Of course, the balanced HD-650, the HE60, the JVC/Victor, and the Prolines were great as well, but I had heard these before.

BigEar brought a beautiful Omega II setup, and it was great. I could very well live with this headphone instead of the K-1000, if I could afford it. I'm not sure if I would give up the spaciousness that the K-1000 offers, but the extra thump in the bass was a welcome thing. A very nice setup, being run on a CEC top loading transport and Benchmark dac. Over all a very nice sounding setup, but the open presentation of the K-1000 still has something that the Omega II can't offer. If I was to need a more closed headphone, it would be either this or the HE60. I can't decide, because they both sound great and I'm having a hard time telling differences in the "high end" section.

The PPX3 Slam that Chimpie brought was brilliant. On a source that I wouldn't recommend with the RS-1, the Slam made the RS-1 sound awesome. I'd have a hard time choosing between this and the Mapletree that I have, but in the end I might just opt for the Slam. There's a fullness to the sound that the Mapletree doesn't provide. And that on a lean source! I think it might become too much for a warm source, but right there and then it was brilliant. Chimpie bought the RS-1's from me on the spot and I would've done the same in his position, a very synergistic setup!

The Audio Technica W1000. I heard some negative comments about them on the meet, much to my surprise. I don't recall what the comments were about, but to my ears they sounded very nice. Not lacking in detail, punch, or soundstage. This is the best closed headphone I have heard (ok, I haven't heard that many....).

The Aspen that Blackmore brought is a very unknown amp. I don't why, because it sounds great. Two headphone outputs mean two people with RS-1's on rocking off. Good times! Sergei, if you didn't like my music, sorry.
biggrin.gif

A very enjoyable amp that I would gladly use with any headphone.

The Heed monoblocks looked and sounded great. Combined with the 2 box preamplifier, it is a very nice combo. Driving the K-1000s, they did a fine job. Had a hard time picking differences between the Heed and my Aleph. Besides these goodies, Dex brought a very nice source, a Njoe Tjoeb modified Marantz. Great cd player.

The Hornet. I didn't hear it because I'm not in the market for a portable amp, but my god is it small. I had no idea, was expecting it to be atleast twice as big. Tiny tiny thing, can't imagine how small the Tomahawk is.

The things that I did not like:

The K-701. It just doesn't do anything for me, and apparently it's VERY hard to drive. Chimpies Slam had to be turned up very high, and the Aria needed allmost 3/4rd of the volume sweep to provide a nice volume for me. I don't listen loudly. I'm not sure what was wrong with the K-701's sound, but it just didn't work. I couldn't enjoy music on it. I'm not an HD-650 fan, but I'd take the HD-650 over the K-701.

Something that struck me as odd was that I heard an echo in allmost every headphone. Maybe this is just a trait that all headphones have since the drivers are closed in, and one adjusts to that. After 4 months of K-1000 though, it was annoying. The Ultrasones, while sounding good, had this the most.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things. Oh yeah, I am! The binaural cd that Ton had, I still haven't listened to it. Going to do that now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #104 of 198
Digitalmind: Did you find *all* of the Ultrasones to have echo, or only the closed ones? B/c I've been listening to my new 2500s and I hear *no* echoes.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #105 of 198
Actually, it was with the 2500 that I noticed it first. I'm not saying it's a characteristic trait that the Ultrasones have -- but rather something that all headphones that are slightly closed, or closed have. Very open headphones like the RS-1, HE60, HD-650, Omega II, didn't have this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back