Benelux Meeting Impressions, Feb 4th.
Feb 5, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #61 of 198
hey charles thanks for the welcome and no
you don't have to be sorry about the wallet you were a big sponsor to my gf thanks for that. today was the first day she had her cans on coming home and teh first thing she mentioned: what a difference!!!

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #63 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by heubie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
today was the first day she had her cans on coming home and teh first thing she mentioned: what a difference!!!

Wow. You have no idea how that makes me feel. Thanks!

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were into headphones, too. There was another goodie in my bag (not another amp, though
tongue.gif
) which was actually intended for someone I was hoping to see, but he didn't show up.

And Dex was saying it's €55 cheaper.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #64 of 198
you're welcome! really,cause all this talk about closed or open headaphones sometimes makes you forget that head phones are just like peuople and you're one of the most open and friendly sounding I've ever heard.
you never change it has been a real treat to meet you and thank you for that more than anything else!

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #65 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by heubie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can u get the ule 2200 for 55 euro's???

I think we both noticed that a little late...Nice wine and beer haha
eggosmile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #69 of 198
Hard to beat you guys (and girl) in putting reactions on this forum. Don’t you have jobs to do?

What a day it was.
I really didn’t know what to expect, but then again, I guess nobody did. My biggest fear was that nobody would show up. It turned out we ended up with a group of 14 dedicated head-fiers. It was really nice to meet people I only knew by their handle on the forum. From most of them I didn’t even know their age. A little asking around proved that only a few of us knew each other in person. One thing is sure: there’s no such thing as a typical head-fier. Our group consisted of people of all ages and professions.
As for the gear, I must admit I was not able to listen to all the stuff I planned to.
But I still had a few surprises. I found the Ultrasones in general not comfortable. I’m interested in some other closed cans, so I especially paid attention to the Proline 750. I found them way too bassy. For the same reason I listened to the AT W1000. I think I can really grow to like these, but to be honest, I think they’re too expensive. That’s why Hans (hoosterw) was so kind to let me listen to
ATH-A700, which are more in my league. Unfortunately I think they can’t keep up with the W1000 (more squeaky mids).
And then the Grado’s. On another occasion I had the opportunity to compare the SR60 (their cheapest model) to the Stax SR-303. I was positively surprised of both the comfort and the sound of the SR60. On our meeting I had a listen to other Grado cans, for instance the RS-1’s. I think they’re nice and I can understand why so many head-fiers love them, but I find them highly overrated (sorry, my opinion) for what you have to pay for them. Furthermore, I’m not comfortable with the larger, but harder surrounds.
I also listened to the Stax SR-404, which I didn’t directly compare with the SR-303, but from memory they have more or less the same signature. I very well could get used to it, but again, they’re both way out of my league.
AKG K701’s were a real letdown. Maybe it was the amp they was connected to, but I found them to be scratchy and light. Procreate later told me he thought they sucked too, but he listened also to the K701 on another amp (I forgot which one) and then he found them to be very nice.
I could have listened to the baby Sennheiser Orpheus HE60/HV70 all day. They are very easy to live with, comfortable, very neutral but still nice. Sad but true; this combination is also out of my league. All applies also for the balanced version of the HD 650. On the meeting I couldn’t tell them apart. Of course, I listened for a limited amount of time and the music that played at that time was not my favourite.

All listening experiences I compared to my faithful Beyerdynamic DT 880 for reference. I know them well and they have their shortcomings (a tad too little mids, too optimistic in the highest region) but they held well to all cans mentioned above. I find them too analytical at times and especially compared to the W1000, they sound too dry. Furthermore, they are with the exception of the K701, the most power hungry of the lot.
The cans I missed the most on this meeting are AKG K271, Sennheiser HD 280, but most of all the models 2005 Beyerdynamics. I think I must organize a new meeting …
Thank you all for a wonderful experience.

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #70 of 198
Looks like it was a nice meeting with loads of gear. It was a bit too far away for me (sold my car on feb. 4th so I couldn't make change my mind on the last minute either haha
biggrin.gif
). I hope the next meet is near Amsterdam, but then it would be too far away for the people from Belgium. Every place sucks I guess
biggrin.gif

Anyone have more pictures? I can't get enough of the pics of the gear *drools*
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #71 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Land /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like it was a nice meeting with loads of gear.

Not only that, but the people were very nice too. Also, having the meet in a hotel meant enough drinks and food, and, of course, gezelligheid!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Land /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have more pictures? I can't get enough of the pics of the gear *drools*
biggrin.gif

I know more people took pictures. But it takes some free time to be able to post them somewhere.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #72 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having heard the K-701, the balanced HD650, all the Grados, a nice woody JVC, the Baby Orpheus, the Stax Omega, the Beyer DT990, etc., nothing even approached what I get from the PROline 2500, with the singular exception of the K-1000s, which had a spacious presentation similar to the Ultrasones. And even if I one day get a pair of those, it still wouldn't be able to muster the slam of the 2500s for heavier rock and electronic music.

The Ultrasones do give a similar presentation as the K-1000. Not as big a soundstage, but a very spacious sound compared to most of the other gear at the meet indeed!

The Heed monoblocks sounded great with the K-1000. To be honest, I doubt I could hear differences between your setup and mine, maybe if I could hear it in a more quiet enviroment, but at the time, they sounded pretty much the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesinc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were for sale but they were sold before I knew it, according to this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223241

I might be wrong and if I am I'm really interested.

That was fast! Hon-Cheung, I hope you enjoy the RS-1's!

Ton, I just realized I never got to hear your amp/equalizer combo. That's a shame.
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #73 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesinc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were for sale but they were sold before I knew it, according to this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223241

I might be wrong and if I am I'm really interested.

Sorry... Sold both in 34 minutes.
blink.gif

And the toll booth girl... Hahahahaa... Rik, you evil person!
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, still haven't found any time to write down the impressions. Been busy at work. And all the free time I have will be shared with the RS1 for the time being! Sorry about that (apologies to my gf as well)...
rs1smile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #74 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, still haven't found any time to write down the impressions. Been busy at work. And all the free time I have will be shared with the RS1 for the time being! Sorry about that (apologies to my gf as well)...
rs1smile.gif

Egotistical person!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #75 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brussel, here we come!! We are going of to bed..Good night to all of you

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new purchase in this thread! Did Heubie get something, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back