Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Aug 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #436 of 1,410
Has anyone compared hpa4 to Beta 22 , RJM audio sapphire & "Whammy" pass DIY amps ?
All these amps measure very well & do not cost a lot. DIYers swear by the above amps.

Any info...

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #437 of 1,410
Benchmark HPA4 - THE ULTIMATE HP AMP

20190829_205714.jpg

With Audeze LCD i4 ....

20190828_153959.jpg Drives HD540 Ref-1 600 ohms 93db with authority...

20190828_155234.jpg With EE ZEUS(drop)... pitch black background, no FR change...119db/1mw 10ohms

20190829_230717.jpg

With Audiotechnica ADX5000 and Metrum Acoustics Pavane NOS R2R dac... Perfect Synergy...

HPA4 will stay for a long time...:)

Thanks @jsiau @M Siau

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #438 of 1,410
I am looking for an amp that will drive all of my headphones to their greatest potential. I have the HEKse and Utopias. I have been considering the Susvara and Abyss TC as upgrades and know the latter two need a good amp. My source is CHORD DAVE with HMS. Before I upgrade my headphones I was curious if the Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier would be way too much for the HEKse/Utopias. I read that a few people found the HEKse better in many ways than the Susvara (more dynamic) but that was driven direct from DAVE. Would adding the AHB2 make a significant difference? I would also consider the HPA4 but this would not be powerful enough to drive the SUSVARA from what I’ve read and don’t want to buy another amp just for Susvara or Abyss in the future. I also wanted an amp to be as transparent as possible so as not to sacrifice the purity of the DAVE alone.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #439 of 1,410
Tunes, I would think it is really risky running those utopias on the AHB2 amp(I have both amps). It doesn't take much to drive the Utopia headset so you would yourself open to overpowering them and damaging them if you are not super careful. I do not think the risk is worth it IMO. With the free return policy I would try the HPA4 first with the power hungry headphones. It truly is an end-game headphone amp.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #440 of 1,410
Hey @tunes, I just got the Utopia for a second time, specifically to connect to the Mscalar/Dave, as it looks like you're doing as well. And I'm really liking it -- much more so than the first time around, when I had the Utopia connected to all manner of other DACs and headphone amps.

So I find it interesting that you have a curiosity about driving the Utopia through one of the Benchmark amps when you currently have the Dave. On the other hand, I've grown to love the sound of the Benchmark amps and actually have an AHB2 on the way (for use with the Susvara and SR1A), so I think I get it :).

That being said, I'd agree that using a 100-watt speaker amp for the Utopia is living on the edge a little bit (and this coming from someone who's pretty highly biased towards using speaker amps for headphones). I have connected the Utopia to a couple speaker amps in the past, but only as a test, not with the intention of doing so regularly. So were it not to do double-duty for a hard-to-drive headphone like the Susvara, I'd opt for the HPA4 route for the Utopia as well if I could...

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #441 of 1,410
I am looking for an amp that will drive all of my headphones to their greatest potential. I have the HEKse and Utopias. I have been considering the Susvara and Abyss TC as upgrades and know the latter two need a good amp. My source is CHORD DAVE with HMS. Before I upgrade my headphones I was curious if the Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier would be way too much for the HEKse/Utopias. I read that a few people found the HEKse better in many ways than the Susvara (more dynamic) but that was driven direct from DAVE. Would adding the AHB2 make a significant difference? I would also consider the HPA4 but this would not be powerful enough to drive the SUSVARA from what I’ve read and don’t want to buy another amp just for Susvara or Abyss in the future. I also wanted an amp to be as transparent as possible so as not to sacrifice the purity of the DAVE alone.
Benchmark will have the Susvaras, HE1000, Utopia, LCD4z and many other headphones at RMAF next weekend. I've had the Susvara on my desk for several weeks prior to shipping them to RMAF. The HPA4 drives them beautifully and it stays clean all the way up the volume range. Come visit us at RMAF and try it for yourself!

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #442 of 1,410

Just get the HPA4...30 day trial....I have not directly compared HMS/DAVE & HPA4 headphone out but from memory my ADX5k, LCDi4 are so much better driven by hpa4 right throughout the freq spectrum.

HPA4 is the most transparent amp that I have ever heard. With my DAC the sound is full bodied, analogue like with TOTL extensions & no loss of micro details, transparency. The texturing & instrument timbre is superb.

HPA4 is differentiating between redbook & hires files, RCA vs XLR cables(diff brand), slight change in PMEQ is readily heard.

I have vintage AKG K240DF & K240 sextett EP 600 ohms 88 db/mw. HPA4 drives them with ease & authority & a lot of headroom.

HPA4 has transformed my listening experience. The bass control & delivery is out of this world....perfect balance b/w quantity & quality.

Cheers

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #443 of 1,410
Benchmark will have the Susvaras, HE1000, Utopia, LCD4z and many other headphones at RMAF next weekend. I've had the Susvara on my desk for several weeks prior to shipping them to RMAF. The HPA4 drives them beautifully and it stays clean all the way up the volume range. Come visit us at RMAF and try it for yourself!

Beat me to the punch. :)

I have heard the Susvara on the HPA4 and loved it. I also own the Phi TC, Rosson Audio RAD-0, LCD-4/4z, Meze Empyrean, Utopia, PS2000e, HD800S and the HPA4 drives them brilliantly as well! So glad I picked up the review unit...truly endgame territory to my ears!

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #444 of 1,410
Awesome, I will stop by to say hello :)

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #445 of 1,410
Beat me to the punch. :)

I have heard the Susvara on the HPA4 and loved it. I also own the Phi TC, Rosson Audio RAD-0, LCD-4/4z, Meze Empyrean, Utopia, PS2000e, HD800S and the HPA4 drives them brilliantly as well! So glad I picked up the review unit...truly endgame territory to my ears!
So it seems that the HPA4 May be a better solution for Susvara and Abyss TC as it can be used with any headphones and not limited to low efficiency cans. I wonder how much improvement on Susvara sound the ABH2 gives it over the HPA4? If we are splitting hairs then the HPA4 is a no brainer.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #446 of 1,410
I've only owned both amps for a short time (slightly longer with the WA22).

So far.. the hpa4 sounds extremely clean and transparent. It feels like it can handle anything you throw at it, and it gives u this impression that it is scalpel accurate and clinical. I think the meze empy are a really good match with the hpa4. But I feel it is still really too early on for me to make a sound judgment on this amp as I've only had it for a few days now.

The WA22 in my opinion has more character. I do enjoy how changing the tubes also changes the way music is presented. Yep on my unit there is a little bit of hum, but it is almost inaudible when music is playing, unless you really try and listen for it. I do prefer my Utopia with the wa22 as I feel it takes a bit of the edge off the utopia highs, and gives it more fullness and low down punchiness.

The other thing u have to consider is, whether you are going to invest in more tubes. So far I've spent close to a further usd2.5k on tubes.. It is so addictive and at the same time such a painful chase for better sound. And I'm still googling and reading up on more tubes!

If you don't feel like tube rolling, the Wa22 stock tubes are actually quite decent. But I can tell u now that if u do purchase a tube amp, curiosity of how tubes change the sound will eventually get the better of u..
In my experience you can change the sound signature with rca/xlr interconnect cabels for solid state amps. Usually different cabel companies have there sound sig. But always demo before you buy.

At the moment i am deciding to buy either Tellurium Q rca Silver Diamond cable which i demoed for 2 weeks or Atlas Mavros Grun rca with grun power adapter. These are the most expensive cabels ive tried and the best 2 cabels i have heard.

Tellurium Q Silver Diamond is more lush and warm musical sounding and smooth with less grain and reduces harshness that ive heard before in my system, more natural. Still with extended highs. So i recommend these to anyone that want to reduce harshness in there system. Or i am sure Tellurium Q dont ever make bright sounding cabels based on costumer and expert reviews ive read for there different cabels. And also from when trying a cheaper step down cable the ultra black 2 rca cabel which i thought had to little treble information.

Atlas Mavros Grun rca cabel is more analytical and articulate. I here this especially with lyrics where i here everyword they sing more easily which i like. This cabel is more bright and edgy but to not bothersome imo. More punch in the bass.

But it doesent have to be this expensive. Also cheaper cabels you try have sound sig differences if you buy from dedicated hifi cabel companys. Ive tried some in the $130 price range and $510 range but was never satisfied. I think the really good cabels start at around $1000. Although have you spent really much money for everything else in the system it might be worth it. HPA4 wont hold anything back in hearing the improvement and sound sig different cabels can bring i think.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/tellurium-q-silver-diamond-rca-interconnect

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-grun-ultra-2-rca-to-2-rca-audio-cable

I think you have a different cabel market in the US compared to Europe so maybe they dont sell these above in the US i dont know. I read good things about Nordost Vallhalla V1.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/nordost-valhalla-v1-vs-v2-interconnect-review-2019/

Also analogue interconnect cabels have around 150 hours burn in time. They usually sound brighter in the begining and settle down later with more details . Something to be aware of.

https://nordost.com/blog/what-is-cable-burn-in/

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #447 of 1,410
In my experience you can change the sound signature with rca/xlr interconnect cabels for solid state amps. Usually different cabel companies have there sound sig. But always demo before you buy.

At the moment i am deciding to buy either Tellurium Q rca Silver Diamond cable which i demoed for 2 weeks or Atlas Mavros Grun rca with grun power adapter. These are the most expensive cabels ive tried and the best 2 cabels i have heard.

Tellurium Q Silver Diamond is more lush and warm musical sounding and smooth with less grain and reduces harshness that ive heard before in my system, more natural. Still with extended highs. So i recommend these to anyone that want to reduce harshness in there system. Or i am sure Tellurium Q dont ever make bright sounding cabels based on costumer and expert reviews ive read for there different cabels. And also from when trying a cheaper step down cable the ultra black 2 rca cabel which i thought had to little treble information.

Atlas Mavros Grun rca cabel is more analytical and articulate. I here this especially with lyrics where i here everyword they sing more easily which i like. This cabel is more bright and edgy but to not bothersome imo. More punch in the bass.

But it doesent have to be this expensive. Also cheaper cabels you try have sound sig differences if you buy from dedicated hifi cabel companys. Ive tried some in the $130 price range and $510 range but was never satisfied. I think the really good cabels start at around $1000. Although have you spent really much money for everything else in the system it might be worth it. HPA4 wont hold anything back in hearing the improvement and sound sig different cabels can bring i think.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/tellurium-q-silver-diamond-rca-interconnect

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-mavros-grun-ultra-2-rca-to-2-rca-audio-cable

I think you have a different cabel market in the US compared to Europe so maybe they dont sell these above in the US i dont know. I read good things about Nordost Vallhalla V1.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/nordost-valhalla-v1-vs-v2-interconnect-review-2019/

Also analogue interconnect cabels have around 150 hours burn in time. They usually sound brighter in the begining and settle down later with more details . Something to be aware of.

https://nordost.com/blog/what-is-cable-burn-in/

This was bound to happen.

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #448 of 1,410
...cheaper cabels you try have sound sig differences if you buy from dedicated hifi cabel companys. Ive tried some in the $130 price range and $510 range but was never satisfied. I think the really good cabels start at around $1000.../
yikes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back