Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #466 of 1,410
It may be this weekend I finally get to try the ahb2 with my new speakers. So can’t describe how exciting this will be. I an oddly pairing a set of zu audio soul supreme and undertone mk2 with the AHB2. And using Spring2 KTE and Azure preamp. But will consider using the HPA4 for the preamp as well. However for now I expect the first watt of the ahb2 to be incredibly clear and clean to use with the soul supreme. But will be experiment with a 25ohm loading resistor on each speaker. I don’t know how this amp will respond to the 16ohm impedance speakers, but would like to know if I should bother with loading resistors or not.
I’ll be using a special wired cable from zu audio. They recommend the event mk2 speakon to speakon cable. Which is oddly 4pin speakon at the amp side and 8pin speakon at the speaker side. Zub3 wiring is what they call it, but only 6 of the 8 pins are used. Seems 3 go to one pin and 3 go to the other at the amp side. And they recommended to run some cables from the speaker 5way poles on each speaker and run them to the speaker level stereo input to the undertone mk2 sub (sled powered of course) . Seems like a lot of extra cabling, but will give it a go.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #467 of 1,410
However for now I expect the first watt of the ahb2 to be incredibly clear and clean to use with the soul supreme. But will be experiment with a 25ohm loading resistor on each speaker. I don’t know how this amp will respond to the 16ohm impedance speakers, but would like to know if I should bother with loading resistors or not.
There is no need to add resistors in parallel with the speakers.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #468 of 1,410
There is no need to add resistors in parallel with the speakers.
Good to know. They included some as they didn’t know how the amp would react.
I definitely would prefer not to use them. What power output would be avail @16ohms ? I think there is mention of it when running in mono, but I could be mistaken. These speakers are kinda odd.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #469 of 1,410
Good to know. They included some as they didn’t know how the amp would react.
I definitely would prefer not to use them. What power output would be avail @16ohms ? I think there is mention of it when running in mono, but I could be mistaken. These speakers are kinda odd.
50 W into 16 Ohms Stereo. 200 W into 15 Ohms bridged mono.

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #470 of 1,410
Anyone else patiently waiting for their HPA4 to arrive? Currently Benchmark’s website says there is high demand and to “reserve yours today.” I’m guessing this is because of orders during and after RMAF.

Sep 23, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #473 of 1,410
Not an HPA4, but I've been waiting on an AHB2 to ship for about three weeks now...

Oh.. I ordered mine just over a week ago. Looks like it's going to be a long long wait for me.. :frowning2:

Sep 23, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #474 of 1,410
I’m two weeks in (ordered Monday after RMAF ended). I’m guessing it could easily be a few more weeks then :/

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #475 of 1,410
Sometimes I wonder if I went overkill for my set up. I only use my HPA4 with the DAC 3 B solely for my LCD4 and nothing else. I see many people using the HPA4 in a much more versatile way, thoughts?

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #476 of 1,410
Sometimes I wonder if I went overkill for my set up. I only use my HPA4 with the DAC 3 B solely for my LCD4 and nothing else. I see many people using the HPA4 in a much more versatile way, thoughts?

That's a good excuse to set up a speaker system!

I use the hpa4 for my headphones and as line out pre amp to amp for my bedroom speaker setup. Using audiolab integrated amp in power amp mode, waiting on ahb2 to arrive to replace the audiolab.

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #477 of 1,410
That's a good excuse to set up a speaker system!

I use the hpa4 for my headphones and as line out pre amp to amp for my bedroom speaker setup. Using audiolab integrated amp in power amp mode, waiting on ahb2 to arrive to replace the audiolab.
Same here. Preamp for my 2 channel rig. As a preamp, it is even better.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #478 of 1,410
Can the HPA be used as an AMP for speakers or is the main use of it for speakers preamp only? Please excuse my ignorance.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #480 of 1,410
Same here. Preamp for my 2 channel rig. As a preamp, it is even better.

Can I ask if you are using the Speakon connectors for your speaker cables?

I notice on the Benchmark website they're really not advocates for expensive cables, and they much prefer the starquads. I was looking into speakon cables, but that would mean my "expensive" speaker cables become redundant..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back