Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Sep 23, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #481 of 1,410
Can I ask if you are using the Speakon connectors for your speaker cables?

I notice on the Benchmark website they're really not advocates for expensive cables, and they much prefer the starquads. I was looking into speakon cables, but that would mean my "expensive" speaker cables become redundant..

Fwiw, I am using speakon cables with the AHB2 (4pole connector using 2) and my Zu Audio Soul Supreme speakers (8pole connector using 6). I have read a few articles saying the noise floor is a little lower with the speakon connection vs spades or banana. But not sure it’s really worth all the effort. If you wanted, just use the cables you have and likely enjoy or reterminate those cables with speakon connectors which is easy to do.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #482 of 1,410
Can I ask if you are using the Speakon connectors for your speaker cables?

I notice on the Benchmark website they're really not advocates for expensive cables, and they much prefer the starquads. I was looking into speakon cables, but that would mean my "expensive" speaker cables become redundant..
Not using speakon, just locking banana connectors and Canare starquad cable.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #483 of 1,410
Sometimes I wonder if I went overkill for my set up. I only use my HPA4 with the DAC 3 B solely for my LCD4 and nothing else. I see many people using the HPA4 in a much more versatile way, thoughts?

I had tried few high sensitive iems(andromedas, EE zeus drop, katana). The background was pitch black, no hiss. HPA4 in no way altered the frequency response of these iems. All my headphones/earphones pair very nicely.You should try your ciems.

One of the most standout feature of hpa4 for me is the driver control & bass reproduction. The bass resolution, layering, body & extension is top notch. Its like discovering new bass notes in my test tracks. Hpa4 pushes so much air that on one song I felt that my adx5000's cup lifted momentarily & I was not even listening at high volume. Experiences like this makes hpa4 very special.

Preamp functionality is supposed to be better than hp out. So much to explore. I cannot even imagine how hpa4 will pair with ahb2/sr1a(future upgrade).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #484 of 1,410
I had tried few high sensitive iems(andromedas, EE zeus drop, katana). The background was pitch black, no hiss. HPA4 in no way altered the frequency response of these iems. All my headphones/earphones pair very nicely.You should try your ciems.

I second that! With my Shure 846, the sound is still remarkably clean and, somewhat annoyingly, much better sounding than my DAP.

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #485 of 1,410
My HPA4 lets me go far deeper into my music without experiencing discomfort or pain - and this is true for both my HD800S headphones, and when used with my AHB2 monos out to speakers. the concept of "loud" has taken on an entirely different meaning. Now when listening to, say, a jazz quartet through speakers from 12 feet away, I just turn up the volume to mimic what I expect it would actually sound like in front-row seats. Same for my headphones (which I was was kinda meh with until the HPA4 came along). The reality of it all is addicting. DAC3 HGC on the front end, fwiw.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #486 of 1,410
My HPA4 lets me go far deeper into my music without experiencing discomfort or pain - and this is true for both my HD800S headphones, and when used with my AHB2 monos out to speakers. the concept of "loud" has taken on an entirely different meaning. Now when listening to, say, a jazz quartet through speakers from 12 feet away, I just turn up the volume to mimic what I expect it would actually sound like in front-row seats. Same for my headphones (which I was was kinda meh with until the HPA4 came along). The reality of it all is addicting. DAC3 HGC on the front end, fwiw.
Is the HPA4 driving the Hifiman Susvara enough or will I need to use the ABH2 speaker taps to get the most out of the Susvara?

Sep 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #487 of 1,410
Is the HPA4 driving the Hifiman Susvara enough or will I need to use the ABH2 speaker taps to get the most out of the Susvara?
the HPA4 has more than enough power to drive the susvara. I own both HPA4 and AHB2 and would never consider using the AHB2 with the susvara's. I'm quite happy with the performance and few amps have the grunt for the susvara's. however HPA4 will deliver.

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #488 of 1,410
the HPA4 has more than enough power to drive the susvara. I own both HPA4 and AHB2 and would never consider using the AHB2 with the susvara's. I'm quite happy with the performance and few amps have the grunt for the susvara's. however HPA4 will deliver.
That’s excellent news since it simplifies the amp headphone dilemma for Susvara and can also use the HPA4 to drive my Utopias and HEKse. I recently listened to my Utopias on a ZanaDeux tube amp and was shocked at the improvement in bass performance and the opening up of the sound stage. Does the HPA4 improve the sound stage of the Utopias. I am currently driving them directly from my CHORD DAVE DAC!

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #489 of 1,410
I also jumped ship from the queue on the GS-X Mini and decided to purchase the HPA4. I feel a little guilty but I have and love the THX AAA 789 and wanted the best THX technology could offer. I remember when I first started this hobby in the mid-00s and Benchmark was always on the map. I hoped to own one of their products one day. Really looking forward to using this amp for years to come :)

Any update on this comparison? No doubt the HPA4 is a winner, but I'd like to know if it's $2600 better than the 789. I want to just say screw it and buy the HPA4, but it's really hard to justify $3K for use as just a headphone amp when there are now three other THX options on the market that are all $400 or less: Drop 789, Monoprice 887, and the new SMSL SP200. All four products test off the charts. But measurements don't always equal sound.

If Benchmark offered a baby HPA4 to fill the gap, I'd be all over it. A DAC3/HPA4 combo all-in-one. No extraneous features. No touch screen. No chaff. Just a solid DAC with a solid built-in amp with XLR4 and 1/4" jack. Would need to be less than $3K though.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #490 of 1,410
Any update on this comparison? No doubt the HPA4 is a winner, but I'd like to know if it's $2600 better than the 789. I want to just say screw it and buy the HPA4, but it's really hard to justify $3K for use as just a headphone amp when there are now three other THX options on the market that are all $400 or less: Drop 789, Monoprice 887, and the new SMSL SP200. All four products test off the charts. But measurements don't always equal sound.

If Benchmark offered a baby HPA4 to fill the gap, I'd be all over it. A DAC3/HPA4 combo all-in-one. No extraneous features. No touch screen. No chaff. Just a solid DAC with a solid built-in amp with XLR4 and 1/4" jack. Would need to be less than $3K though.

I ended up going with the DAC3 B and paired it with the GS-X Mk2. Fantastic pairing, really let's your headphones shine. I considered the HPA4 but in the end I really wanted preamp functionality as well. Why not the DAC3 HGC thouguh? It only lacks a balanced headphone output.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #491 of 1,410
How do you know that the Susvara wouldn’t open up when driven by the AHB2 unless you compared it with the HPA4. This would dispel some of the ongoing debate about the Susvara needing the power of a speaker amp to reach its greatest performance!

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #493 of 1,410
Bah, confused it with the HGC that doesn’t have preamp. Apologies.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #494 of 1,410
I ended up going with the DAC3 B and paired it with the GS-X Mk2. Fantastic pairing, really let's your headphones shine. I considered the HPA4 but in the end I really wanted preamp functionality as well. Why not the DAC3 HGC thouguh? It only lacks a balanced headphone output.

It's a viable option. But yes, it lacks XLR4 and its gain controls are internal. So switching between headphones with vastly different sensitivities means you have to open the chassis and mess with dip switches. Doesn't seem convenient as far as amps go. And yes, I have multiple headphones. I think I'm going to try the DAC3-B and HPA4 for a few weeks via Benchmark's audition program. But my short list is:

DAC3 + THX 789 / Aune S7 Pro / Cayin iHA-6
Qutest + THX 789 / Aune S7 Pro / Cayin iHA-6
Cayin iHA-6 + iDAC-6MK2
Matrix Element X

For the price of the Matrix or the HPA4, I can actually get all three of the other amps together + whatever DAC I want. It's a tough decision without being able to try before I buy.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #495 of 1,410
It's a viable option. But yes, it lacks XLR4 and its gain controls are internal. So switching between headphones with vastly different sensitivities means you have to open the chassis and mess with dip switches. Doesn't seem convenient as far as amps go. And yes, I have multiple headphones. I think I'm going to try the DAC3-B and HPA4 for a few weeks via Benchmark's audition program. But my short list is:

Cayin iHA-6 + iDAC-6MK2
Matrix Element X

For the price of the Matrix or the HPA4, I can actually get all three of the other amps together + whatever DAC I want. It's a tough decision without being able to try before I buy.

Cayin iHA-6 + iDAC-6MK2
Matrix Element X

I would say if you’re looking for a $2600 price difference in regards to sound quality and you’re not interested in the difference of features between the 789 and the HPA4, save your money. Though the HPA4 measures better there are diminishing returns in cost to performance like most of high-end audio.

A/Bing the two the difference for me was slightly more imaging/soundstage, the attenuator, and the prospect of being able to drive almost all headphones to their maximum capabilities. Do I currently own the Susvara, HE5k, or the Utopias? Not yet, but I want something that will stand the test of time that I don’t need to upgrade for many years. I can’t even imagine where Benchmark would go from here and how they could improve from a sound perspective.

I also wanted a line amp when I eventually purchase speakers. 5-year warranty vs
1-year warranty (but you could just get that from an 887). Touch screen vs no touch screen. External SMPS vs built-in so only an grounded AC cable is needed (though the SMSL SP200 has that feature). Remote or no remote, etc.

I haven’t been to RMAF or any Canjam’s but from what I’ve seen the HPA4 is used at a lot of booths to test out headphones so I think that says something. I’m happy with it and immediately sold my AAA 789. If I wasn’t obsessed with chasing the best in the THX AAA technology category could I have lived with the 789? Most definitely. It just depends on what you need and what you care about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back