Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Nov 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #2,072 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon O2 has a USB/ TV out port. Does it mean it is also a digital out port, and hence, can be used with the DAC1 pre?

i just had a look at the O2 specs for you, and the only audio output it has is a 3.5mm headphone jack, there is no digital out.

but you could in theory link it to your dac1 pre with a mini to RCA analogue cable, but the sound may not be too impressive!

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #2,073 of 3,058
Quote:

Cowon O2 has a USB/ TV out port. Does it mean it is also a digital out port, and hence, can be used with the DAC1 pre?

I looked at their website, but I couldn't find anything indicating a digital audio output.

As Quaddy mentioned, you could connect the analog output to the analog input of the DAC1 PRE, but you will be at the mercy of the internal D/A converter of the Cowon 02.

Thanks,
Elias

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #2,075 of 3,058
lol - yes, i was saying this some posts back that i use the Q5 via spdif through the DAC1 pre, and its fantastic sound, the quality of the Pre turns the Q5 into a high quality transport and fed with lossless its very good IMHO - its compatible!

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #2,076 of 3,058
Quote:

Found that Cowon Q5 and Q5W have digital out: SPDIF. Do you think it will be of any help?

Otherwise, have you (or any one else) checked the sound quality of Q5W and DAC1 (pre) combo?

Oxophone,

Any device with SPDIF digital output will be compatible with the digital inputs of the DAC1 PRE.

There can be no better answer for you then the testimony of a user of these products. Apparently Quaddy has used the Q5 and DAC1 PRE with great success.

Thanks,
Elias

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #2,077 of 3,058
Nice DAC. Impressive sound, i have heard it for few minutes and... OMG
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #2,078 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Thank you for all the help and advice you give on this forum. I wonder if you can answer this query for me.

I have a meridian power amplifier connected directly to my DAC1. My speakers allow for 2 stereo power amplifiers to be used i.e Bi-amped, no pre-amp needed. I am considering adding a second stereo power amp. Can I split the feed from the DAC1 to the 2 stereo power amplifiers. I am using the unbalanced RCA outputs.

Many thanks

John

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #2,079 of 3,058
^ John you can use the XLR connections on the back of your DAC1 and terminate the other end of the cable with RCA for your second amp. Just make sure you leave pin 3 of the XLR connection floating as explained in the manual. This way you can leave your first amp as is, and feed the second with an XLR to RCA cable.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2,080 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

Thank you for all the help and advice you give on this forum. I wonder if you can answer this query for me.

I have a meridian power amplifier connected directly to my DAC1. My speakers allow for 2 stereo power amplifiers to be used i.e Bi-amped, no pre-amp needed. I am considering adding a second stereo power amp. Can I split the feed from the DAC1 to the 2 stereo power amplifiers. I am using the unbalanced RCA outputs.

Many thanks

John

John,

You can use the XLR outputs (as 'Poo' indicated above), or you can use a splitter on the RCA outputs. The benefit of using the splitter on the RCA's is that the two amplifiers will be receiving identical input signal levels, whereas the XLR outputs will be at a significantly different level.

The RCA outputs of the DAC1 should have no problems being double-loaded, depending on the input impedance and capacitance of the amplifiers (the high-current output drivers of the DAC1 USB and DAC1 PRE would be better suited for this).

I recommend testing, though. Connect splitters to the RCA and connect one pair of RCA outputs to your current single-amp setup. Connect the other RCA pair to the second amp without connecting that amp to the speakers. Then, simply compare the sound of the single-amp setup with the RCA's connected to the second amp versus without the RCA's connected to the second amp. The single-amp setup should sound no different with or without the second amp being connected to the RCA's.

Let us know what you find!
L3000.gif

Thanks,
Elias

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #2,081 of 3,058
elias: can one use an rca input output from a digital source into an rca cable through an adapter on the other end into an xlr into the the aes/ebu input on th back of the dac1? will this work ok? I have two spdif inputs both w/o toslink and only one spdif input on the dac1

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #2,082 of 3,058
Dec 7, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #2,084 of 3,058
Hi Elias, I have some synchronization issue with my DAC1 USB to my HTPC. Every now and then, my HTPC is having trouble synchronizing with my DAC1 USB. On my DAC1, I can see the LED blinking for awhile and later the lights are off.
I need to unplug and replug in the USB cable in order to make it work again. Is there anything I missed here? Any XP settings needed to be done? Does anyone have the same problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back