Being a student audiophile...
Mar 5, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #151 of 212

Quote:
wow. after reading thru these pages it seems a lot of us are engineers. idk why but thats surprising. im also a 3rd year AAE major

It makes sense if you think about it though
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #152 of 212
maybe im missing it but only engineers like better quality music? lol i didnt think it took a more advanced (if u wanna call it that) mind to want to listen to better quality audio but thats just my opinion

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #154 of 212
Life of an engineer - lurking in the shadows hahaha. I recabled with mogami 2534. the bass seems tighter and more punchy (to me and my roommate) when I compared them to stock DT770's. I'm very happy with how they turned out but now I want to try silver wire haha. I got the ibasso t3d, not nearly as good as your d4 mamba (i waaaaant!), but I wanted the amp to be super portable.

Quote:
Hahaha I guess you are on here! Yeah, haven't seen you in ages! What did you recable your DT770s with (any difference?) and what amp did you get? And congrats on your first post.

Oh yeah, I guess I haven't really answered the OP's question... I haven't actually got out of this vicious cycle yet lol, Hopefully my new purchases would hold me over for a while, but I really want to try different headphones such as the beyer DT880 &.990, K701, and some stax. I ended up here because while I was in Japan several years ago I visited one of their many electronics stores, and I heard these really old shure IEMs blasting on max volume. I was able to hear what was playing from a couple feet away even though they were IEMs, and they sounded amazing (don't know how they didn't blow out from the volume). I ended up getting the SE210, but the cable eventually started to rip and that's how I ended up here after trying to find an upgrade.

And my purchases seemed to have increased exponentially every year since I got here... :p

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #155 of 212
Oh yea?
What If I'm just a simple pianist who wants quality music?
Yea I'm no engineer
tongue.gif
but I do want to major in Aeronautical Engineering and work with Jets.... Oh yea.. that's engineering too... Meh. Just enjoy the music
o2smile.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #156 of 212
Hm... well being 14 I understand your problem. I suggest that you try demoing any type of high-quality headphones possible! I recently bought the Shure750dj's only a few days ago, and I love them a lot. They were a resale of my birthday present money. Try looking around and see if there are any yard sales or if your parents/relatives have any audio equipment you can have. I know my dad has a Denon audio receiver downstairs from the mid 90's, and although hes using it now maybe later if I really want a good pair of phones and can afford it I could use that as an amp. Go and try out as many headphones as you can so you know what quality music sounds like and how different phones have different sound sigs, I suggest Guitar Center for monitoring/pro studio audio demoing and places like Sony/Best Buy for some generic headphones. Try aiming for a signature you like, so you don't have to run around all over the place to try the ones you like.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #157 of 212

Quote:
Life of an engineer - lurking in the shadows hahaha. I recabled with mogami 2534. the bass seems tighter and more punchy (to me and my roommate) when I compared them to stock DT770's. I'm very happy with how they turned out but now I want to try silver wire haha. I got the ibasso t3d, not nearly as good as your d4 mamba (i waaaaant!), but I wanted the amp to be super portable.

Nice! I'm surprised it actually made a difference. Lol you should get another headphone to recable to silver xD Good choice for a super portable amp. I kind of gave up trying to bring mine along with me especially since I think some of the soldering on my LOD came apart, so when it is bent the wrong way I get static.

Quote:
Oh yea?
What If I'm just a simple pianist who wants quality music?
Yea I'm no engineer
tongue.gif
but I do want to major in Aeronautical Engineering and work with Jets.... Oh yea.. that's engineering too... Meh. Just enjoy the music
o2smile.gif

Heh, I hope you like lots of programming (MATLAB), thermodynamics/fluid dynamics,  and structures... Don't want to turn you off, aerospace engineering is awesome, especially the space side
wink_face.gif
. But it definitely is challenging, I'm in my third year and I want to say around 40% of the original class I started with dropped/transferred/kicked out or are behind a year. Quite a few fourth years in my classes too. But good luck!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #159 of 212

Quote:
Heh, I hope you like lots of programming (MATLAB), thermodynamics/fluid dynamics,  and structures... Don't want to turn you off, aerospace engineering is awesome, especially the space side
wink_face.gif
. But it definitely is challenging, I'm in my third year and I want to say around 40% of the original class I started with dropped/transferred/kicked out or are behind a year. Quite a few fourth years in my classes too. But good luck!!

Ummm... I quit! Im changing my career right now!!!........ Im the laziest kid after all in my school. Maybe I will think of something else...

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #160 of 212
Feels good...kind of to be trying to get into an art school and become a video game artist if only AIOP wasn't like.....$48K a year.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #161 of 212

Quote:
Nice! I'm surprised it actually made a difference. Lol you should get another headphone to recable to silver xD Good choice for a super portable amp. I kind of gave up trying to bring mine along with me especially since I think some of the soldering on my LOD came apart, so when it is bent the wrong way I get static.

wink_face.gif

Wow, interesting how a headphone thread suddenly became a "meet the engineers" thread, hahahahaha.

I'm a sophomore student at the University of Washington-Seattle studying bioengineering and international studies; yah way to represent. XD

BioE is one of the newest additions to the engineering field and it's pretty challenging since we have to have a knowledge of ChemE, ElecE, and computer science in addition to biology/physiology. We're required to take a MATLAB course as a prerequisite and it seems like it's pretty darn useful tool for analytical stats and things of the sort.

The bioE curriculum at the UW has about 60 students in a cohort and about 20% of them stay for a 5th year to complete their pre-med requirements. I haven't heard the drop-out rates here but I know that the department is selective of who is accepted so I'm assuming the drop-out rate is pretty small.

I'm a pretty lazy person at times but when I get into something that really interests me it's hard for me to take a break from it, hahaha.

Edit: Relating back to headphones, I see a lot of students at the UW wearing Beats by Dr. Dre. I've seen a few V-Moda Crossfades and Sennheisers in the crowd as well.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #162 of 212

Quote:

wink_face.gif

truth. and thats on top of completing the core calculus, physics, and chem. Matlab is a MUST know for AAE. its definitely not for the lazy. But I was that kid in HS who glided by without studying. That changed once going to college. But if you like it and can dedicate yourself for 4 years itll be worth it in the long run.

40%? my class was scaled down probably about 60-65% lol

But headphones. I see a good split between beats and bose over ear with a few sennheisers on campus. and a lot are in the engineering labs. but hey thats where im always at :)

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #164 of 212
Quote:
truth. and thats on top of completing the core calculus, physics, and chem. Matlab is a MUST know for AAE. its definitely not for the lazy. But I was that kid in HS who glided by without studying. That changed once going to college. But if you like it and can dedicate yourself for 4 years itll be worth it in the long run.

40%? my class was scaled down probably about 60-65% lol

But headphones. I see a good split between beats and bose over ear with a few sennheisers on campus. and a lot are in the engineering labs. but hey thats where im always at :)

Yeah there's all those support classes too. Luckily I only have to take one chem class, it's definitely not my best subject.

I wanted to be generous since I wasn't exactly sure, my inital guess would have been 60%. But I do know for a fact that only 17% graduate in 4 years, I'm personally going into 5 and probably get my masters as well. They basically crammed a 5 yr major into 4, which is quite ridiculous.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #165 of 212
Optical Engineering student here. I know way too many MAE majors and I think their classes look atrocious. 

I find that I am one of very few at my university that cares about headphones. I wear my grados around campus everyday, and the most I have seen is a Sennheiser hd448 in my circuits class. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back