Beginning to think all this high end stuff is a con.
Feb 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #91 of 174
How could you have owned the HD 800 for many years? They are 2 year old at best.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Saw a thread similar to this on DIYAudio yesterday. Maybe coincidence, maybe straight up troll. Same old thing about once a year.

And everyone bites on it. Including mods.

There is no comparison between the HD650 and HD800, from many years of owning both. Also no comparison in the cost to properly amp either, so it really is a game of affording not only the phone, but the infrastructure that befits it.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #92 of 174
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #96 of 174
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #97 of 174
The Orpheus isn't worth it. My Orion3 will outperform it for less than half the price.

And, yes, I could afford the HE90.

The responsible me will put that cash towards buying a house outright later this year.

The irresponsible me would use HE90 cash to buy a used Hayabusa. Slightly more exciting than a headphone rig. Though I have a feeling that would decrease my life expectancy. I'll stick with the Nighthawk for now.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #98 of 174

Quote:
The Orpheus isn't worth it. My Orion3 will outperform it for less than half the price.

The responsible me will put that cash towards buying a house outright later this year.

The irresponsible me would use HE90 cash to buy a used Hayabusa. Slightly more exciting than a headphone rig. Though I have a feeling that would decrease my life expectancy. I'll stick with the Nighthawk for now.

Haha, Erik I love you right about now. I'm gonna have to cast my vote for the Hyabusa. And honestly man, life is meant to be lived! Go big or go home!

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #100 of 174

Quote:whats the orion3

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #102 of 174

don't worry ever since the hd800 was announced all the cool kids on head-fi have started referring to the hd-650 as mediocre mid-fi gear. meanwhile everyone in the real world still realizes that it is one of the finest current production headphones in the world.
Quote:
Quote:
Where is the high-end stuff you're complaining about? I only see mediocre mid-fi, put together without much thought.

Aren't HD 650's high end in the headphone market?

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #103 of 174
[size=x-small]At the same time the classifieds have been playing HD800 ping pong for months. Due to a unique recable it's been clear that one in particular has been bought and sold continually for a good while now. [/size]

[size=x-small]Each time it's sold, it pops up again a few weeks later.[/size]

[size=x-small]I smell an epic backlash against these phones in the not-too-far future...[/size]

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #104 of 174

Quote:
Anyone else scared by how young head-fi sounds, as well as how few long-standing members are still here?

that's because 75% of the content of this forum is people looking for recommendations on cheap gear that has been covered ad nauseum. How many threads are started every single day that are "recommend me a headphone/amp/source/etc... under x dollars?" 15% of the content is people over exaggerating their uninformed opinions, and the remaining 10% is people carrying on rational useful conversations about headphone related audio gear. It gets tiring sifting through the crap to get to something useful.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #105 of 174

Quote:

Why do all headphones sound poor?  I thought a pair of £280 Senn HD 650 is suppose to mimic the sound quality of a £2000 set of speakers?  It struggles to surpass the £100 Tannoy Mercury's.  Also there is very little difference between the HD 650 and HD 595.  In fact there is not much difference to my iPhone 4-CX 300II combination and the HD 650- Little Dot- Shanling combo. 

Could be that what you're missing is the physical sensation of sound waves hitting parts of your body other than your ears. If so, sadly, there will never be a set of headphones that sounds as good as speakers.*

*failing a science fictiony future set of headphoens with electrodes that send signals directly to your brain replicating the physical, bodily sensation of rumbling bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back