Beginning to think all this high end stuff is a con.
Feb 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #122 of 174

Quote:
While the Denons might have more bass, I find the HD650 - even the HD600 -  to have a "meatier" sound because of the combination of mids and bass that gives it a thick milkshake-like sound.

Quote:
Eh? Now it's meat and milkshakes together. I'm getting confused.

This is why we have a generally agreed upon collection or audiophile terminology, so as to avoid the comparison of headphones to milkshakes...

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #126 of 174
I'd give it back if I were you.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #127 of 174

Quote:
The thing about FOTM phones like the M50 is that they come and go - I believe several of the fullsize Shures were all the rage here just a short time ago. For all that 'bright openness', the lower-end Grados have been consistently popular during my short time on HF.

the m50 may be experiencing some recent surge in popularity but I'd hardly call them a FOTM. they've been around for a long time, and have been recommended for a long time. w

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #128 of 174
I've heard people saying the M50 are FOTM for over a year now...
rolleyes.gif

They are recommended because they are the best closed portable circumaural phones in their price range, and that is the price range most people come here asking for recommendations (almost always recommendations for closed portable phones) want to spend.

They will keep on being "FOTM"
rolleyes.gif
 until a decent competitor appears at the same price or lower.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #130 of 174

Quote:
Quote:
Grados are really bright and not everyone is going to like them because of that, and they're open.  etc, etc.

The thing about FOTM phones like the M50 is that they come and go - I believe several of the fullsize Shures were all the rage here just a short time ago. For all that 'bright openness', the lower-end Grados have been consistently popular during my short time on HF.

I don't think M50's get recommended to people who are looking for headphones and use words like: open, bright, detailed, airy, aggressive, fun, etc., I think they get recommended grados or AD700, etc.

There certainly is a FOTM with the M50, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.  There's a reason for it with the M50.  I have heard a lot of headphones and I recommend them to noobs because unless they know what they want and they're describing a sound that is not what the M50 offers- if they're the kind of person who just wants something that sounds "good"- I think there's a much higher chance they'll be happy with the M50 than the AD700 or a pair of grados because they are more balanced and versatile.  The SRH840 is great as well, but it costs more and doesn't have the bass punch a lot of noobs are looking for.  Also, if someone is new and just wants a "good" headphone I think chances are they're going to use the phones portable-y so open phones are not as good in that situation and they'll appreciate closed phones when they use them on the bus.  The M50 is not going to be the best for everyone of course, but it is a great choice for the majority of people who just sign up so they can post a recommendation thread and then never post again.  Which seems to be a large number of people. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #131 of 174
The m50s were the first "real headphones" I bought (last summer) and thought they were amazing. I also bought MS1s, DBA-02s, and my pair of hd600s just arrived today! Haven't had much time with the 600s yet, but (to me) I greatly preferred the m50s to the MS1s. I also really like the DBA-02s, moreso than the m50s, but they're iems so I still used the m50s far more when I was at home. 

Back to the point of the thread; I find the difference from cheapo headphones and ibuds to the m50s/ms1s/other entry level phones is rather large. But going from the m50s (amped with a MSSH from a fubar II) to the hd600s is not as noticeable. It's hard to describe, there's a very noticeable difference, but comparatively it's not as large. 

I'm not that great at describing audio, so I'd liken it to a computer processor. The change from a core2duo to an i7920 quad would be very noticeable, but then going from the 920 to a 980x (the hexacore) would be very noticeable in certain situations, but in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't change your overall experience much.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #132 of 174
Whoa guys - I take your point re the M50s - simmer down :)

Here in Oz, the M50 is more expensive than both the closed ATs I have owned - the ES7 and the A500. I enjoyed both headphones, but they dont come close to my AD900s (or SR325is ..) in the detail stakes - granted, they are cheaper than both the open ATs and the Grados, so that may not be a fair comparison. If I had to nominate a truly portable closed can with plenty of bass oomph, the ES7 are hard to beat at the price they go for here in Oz - YMMV.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #133 of 174
I really liked the ATH ES7 too. I recommend them when I get the chance, but the fact that it's not "full size" makes it difficult to recommend at the price. I still prefer the ES7 over the M50 though.

Quote:
Whoa guys - I take your point re the M50s - simmer down :)

Here in Oz, the M50 is more expensive than both the closed ATs I have owned - the ES7 and the A500. I enjoyed both headphones, but they dont come close to my AD900s (or SR325is ..) in the detail stakes - granted, they are cheaper than both the open ATs and the Grados, so that may not be a fair comparison. If I had to nominate a truly portable closed can with plenty of bass oomph, the ES7 are hard to beat at the price they go for here in Oz - YMMV.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #134 of 174
I have seen reports from folk with small ears who claim that the ES7 is circumaural for them - IMO, that would make for a fantastic pair of budget cans. For me, especially with glasses on, I could only wear the ES7 for short periods - the AD900 are at the opposite end of the comfort spectrum, albeit with a trend to sweaty face on hot days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back