Beginner audiophile needing help...
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KraziEarss

Head-Fier
Hello audiophiles, this is my first post here at head-fi and I want to say wow! Such a vast wealth of knowledge that has helped me realize I want to dive further into this world. I thank everyone for all the knowledge shared but I have a few questions.

First, I am entry level. I am looking for best iem for office and some home use. I currently listen to flac classical, chill out, and jazz.. New to this genre and loving how it mentally eases me so my days of hip hop are slowly becoming a memory. I purchased a sansa clip+ because of recommendations from this site. I only have the factory earphones though. I'm newly married and have a child on the way so budget will be a little on the light side for Christmas, $150. Here's the tricky part, I soon plan to purchase a fiio x3 idk when but its a goal of mine. I would like a good flat sounding IEM for my musical preference that will sound decent with the clip+ but really shine with the fiio x3. (I'm saying the x3 because Ive read great things about it and it seems like a good reputable company. Any other suggestions for my music taste are welcome, must play flac and be able to hold at least 64gb card at same price range)

All files will be flac, finding awesome collections on cduniverse and Amazon, btw any recommendations to good music/artist are appreciated as well. I'm loving the Beethoven and Bach, but I'm hungry for more!

Thank any and everyone in advance and if you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 16
Yep, I'd say a visit to Joker's thread is a great place to start. The first IEM that comes to mind for classical and jazz under $150 would be the Brainwavz B2. You may also be able to find some Etymotic ER-4 used around that price, but they do require a good amp to sound their best as I understand it. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of them so I can't help much more than giving names to consider, but congrats on the new kid and the new hobby. Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Jokers thread has been a huge help and I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices.

Ety hf5
Yamaha eph100
Rock it r50
Brainwavz
Re262

Questions on these, the impedance will run fine on the clip+ I currently own, will the fiio x3 improve the sound of each one since it does have an actual built in amp, or would I really need to upgrade immediately to a hi-res player?

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 16
It's a slow forum, patience is a must here.

But in regards to your question at hand, I would go with the 262's out of those you selected, they are wonderful earphones at their price point and the only glaring issue I can feasibly complain about is the build is slightly sub-par. Changing to the X3 would be an improvement, but not something imperative, I feel as if you could pair the clip with a decent portable amp and get similar, if not superior results, although that is simply my opinion. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Joker's list is pretty nice but he hasn't added some Chinese IEM's he just recently reviewed.

http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-vsd3s-ostry-kc06-havi-b3-pro/

If you plan on getting the x3, I would recommend the Havi B3 Pro1
It has a LOT of VERY strong reviews backed by a strong group of people.
The quirk is that it needs a good amp to sound good. And if you plan on getting the x3, I don't think you can get a better pair of headphones under $150. They have been described as bass shy but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you don't want that the TTPOD T1 and the Ostry is a good choice as well with the T1 at $40 and the Ostry at $55

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Ok, this was not in the included list but the Black Friday sale of the hifiman re-400, would this highly rated iem suit my taste?

I'm reading on the Chinese manufacturers and while great reviews on sq, would the customer service of the company be an issue with me being in the US. just as far as warranty concerns...

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 16
RE-400 is a very good pair of headphones, if you buy from an reputable seller you will be fine.

Forgot that since your budget is 100, you should definitely consider the GR07, and GR07 BE. Widely regarded as the best earbuds for their price.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Ok, I was under the impression that the gr07 would be too bass heavy, while i was looking more neutral with flat fr for my classical and jazz. I'm hoping i'm not misunderstanding the gr07 sound. I actually ordered the re-400 hoping it was a good call, but now the durability concerns everybody is mentioning has me concerned.

Now in two weeks I will be looking for a good player, hopefully the x3 is the right choice, but i'm hearing the x5 would be better for my music taste.  I've read hundreds of threads on the players but i'm still conflicted.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 16
  Ok, I was under the impression that the gr07 would be too bass heavy, while i was looking more neutral with flat fr for my classical and jazz. I'm hoping i'm not misunderstanding the gr07 sound. I actually ordered the re-400 hoping it was a good call, but now the durability concerns everybody is mentioning has me concerned.

Now in two weeks I will be looking for a good player, hopefully the x3 is the right choice, but i'm hearing the x5 would be better for my music taste.  I've read hundreds of threads on the players but i'm still conflicted.

I would hardly consider the GR07 bass heavy. The BE is, but not the classic. It's got a very lean and tight bass register with absolutely no boom or bleed. 

Measurements here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VSonicGR07Classic.pdf  

and here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANIE400.pdf

As you can see, on paper the RE400 has a very tiny bit less bass with more forward mids and a slightly more rolled off and smooth treble. GR07 has more neutral mids and a little more treble extension. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Ok, running on my current clip+ wouldn't the higher ohm load work the battery faster because it requires more power to reach the same volume than the re-400. My reason for asking is because the clip+ cannot charge and play music so I kind of need it my whole 9 hour work shift in the office. I can charge on lunch but I also plug it into my car USB port as well. Maybe this is a moot point because I hope to upgrade to a true player, fiio x3 or now looking at ibasso x50

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Update: I ordered the hifiman RE-400 and I'm in love. My classical music sounds pretty darn good coming from my sansa clip+. I went ahead and rock boxed my clip (not for the eq because I like it flat, but for the supposed ext battery life). I am very pleased sitting at my desk at work and the beautiful thing is all the included tips. Luckily the medium bi-flange seal perfectly for me. This very small portable rig sounds so good I'm now even more intrigued by what an ibasso or fiio dap(?) can do for my music. Now I understand why you all say "Sorry about your wallet!"

Ok, I'm wandering have many had actual success connecting an amp to the sansa because the way I understand it is that there is no true line out so would I get the same effect? Guess I'm trying to upgrade sound quality the cheap way but I may have to pull the trigger on the now 139.99 fiio x3 but the warm sound people talk about worries me with my classical. I hope it doesn't alter the sound too much or will it still sound as clear and detailed as my pretty flat sounding clip?

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 16
I went ahead and rock boxed my clip (not for the eq because I like it flat, but for the supposed ext battery life).

Just so you know, I used Rockbox on my iPod classic for months, and realized that even on the default setting, Rockbox applies its own EQ with significantly more distortion. The stock firmware is more neutral and clear. Not sure if it's the same situation with what you have, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back