Beats Studio vs. Denon AH-D2000 vs. else?
May 3, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #32 of 37
What i have read from the M50 is that yea sounds good the bass is there and all that but that the bass is actually coloured and unnatural, liek lets say i make a beat alright and i throw some 808's and i want to play with the pitch to make a catchy melody with pure bass, i would need headphones that makes me able to see waht im doing you know what i mean. Not just barely id need to clearly and loudly hear the frequencies im playing with in order to see waht it would sound like in the sub in my car for example. that being said, i dont think coloured and unnatural bass is good for that.. but im not an expert either so im just basing that on logical assumptions

Quote:
You can't go wrong with the M50s imo. I'd recommend you give the Samson SR850 a check out(which are actually a bit of a visual "clone" of your K240, but should sound quitedifferent), as imo they sound better than the M50s and are much cheaper($60 or less). Your K240s are excellent studio monitors, but I understand you want more bass.

Although they hit with a bit less authority in the bass than the M50s, the relative linearity of the SR850s is better for mixing. If your headphones have too much bass, then your listeners are going to end up having too little unless you are really careful about adjusting between differences in your headphones frequency response. However, I'd still probably say go with the M50 as it is the safest route if youre worried about your own enjoyment of the beats in the music, plus the convenience of isolation and portability.

Actually since they are so cheap, you could even buy both the M50s and the Samsons, and keep whichever you feel is best and still stay under $200 US dollars + Shipping, which is less than the Denon would cost you anyway. I'd also recommend the Superlux HD681 as it is only 40 dollars, which I haven't heard but seem to have great bass extension, but their signature seems too V-shaped for proper mixing. If you do happen to buy the Samson, keep in mind that they are particularly succeptible to burn-in and need 100-300 hours before the the bass hits as quick as it can and the mids come into balance with the rest of the frequency.

The HD25-1 II are extremely competent, and very well built. They look kinda retro, but they say I MEAN SERIOUS BUSINESS, imo. They are alot more attractive in person imo, isolate like crazy for something that's not an IEM. I haven't worn them for hours, but I don't find them uncomfortable. I actually prefer their looks to the M50s lol. They are understated yet still have character the M50s don't.

May 3, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 37
I mean, how many people have you read say that? And more importantly, the bass is coloured and unnatural relative to what? I mean, I could apply that statement to pretty much any headphone, especially under the 200 dollar range without a good amp. Most reviewers seem to praise the bass on these. Likewise, my impressions of its bass were quite positive, though I still think that of the Samson is better presented though perhaps not as deep.

Quote:
What i have read from the M50 is that yea sounds good the bass is there and all that but that the bass is actually coloured and unnatural, liek lets say i make a beat alright and i throw some 808's and i want to play with the pitch to make a catchy melody with pure bass, i would need headphones that makes me able to see waht im doing you know what i mean. Not just barely id need to clearly and loudly hear the frequencies im playing with in order to see waht it would sound like in the sub in my car for example. that being said, i dont think coloured and unnatural bass is good for that.. but im not an expert either so im just basing that on logical assumptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back