Beats Studio vs. Denon AH-D2000 vs. else?
May 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

AmeerSeven30

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum :]. I have a home studio and I am currently looking for better headphones than the ones I have at the moment. At first I was thinking about getting Beats studios from Monster but read a few reviews and Monster being known for overpriced items. It is logical also that Beats would be overpriced due to the marketing it has and stuff so since i believe that a part of Beats studios price is for its name i was searching for headphones in the same price range better than studios. As i was searching i found Denon AH-D2000 and saw some graphics and compared them with Beats studio on headphone.com as well as some reviews that seemed to point towards Denon. I was wondering whats the best decision ***for beatmaking/music production*** and if there is any other model from other brands you suggest and why. THANKS !! :D:D

May 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 37
Denon are at a bit of a premium compared to other prominent headphones, but their fit and finish is astoundingly good.  Definitely worth it over Beats if your main focus is to do some recording work.

May 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 37
Nope. They are not overpriced and are a fantastic pair of headphones but there are a large number of other options available.
So, before someone advises you to use the search function, let me lend you some key words you can search for - Audio Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Sennheiser and Ultrasone. All these companies have products at D2000s price range and offer diverse sound signatures. I'm sure you'll find out more as you start your search.

May 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 37
The D2000 is a great listening headphone based on the audition I've had with it, (never owned, however) but I couldn't recommend it for professional use.  I can't recommend the Beats Studio (nor any other Beats I've heard) for either.  Prominent loose one-note bass, shrill highs, heavy distortion, slow and muddled with complex passages, and they gloss over details.  Add on the horrible build quality with obvious weak points built into the headband and an insanely disproportionate price to value ratio and they become that much more frustrating.  I know they get hated on here pretty severely and don't necessitate yet another bashing at this point, but there's just so damn little that's redeeming about them that it's ridiculous.

Honestly, the best can I've used for recording/production purposes was the AKG K271.  Clinical, flat, and honest. (if not a bit bulky and a bit intrusive at times)  I also used a Sennheiser HD600 as a point of reference on some material and they proved surprisingly helpful.  However, the AKGs lacked in low-end oomph, so if you're making "beats" they may be less than ideal.  I wouldn't recommend the HD600 for professional use either. (at least not exclusively)  I've heard/read great things about the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but still have yet to give them a go.  I was heavily considering taking the plunge until I decided to go in a very different direction with my money last night.  Not to be... for now.

May 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 37
xD its hard to shop for headphones. Actually waht i need is good music production headphones that allows me to hear the low frequencies as well. I make all kind of style from house to rap music if thats relevant information. So yea i was thinking ADH2000 but ill take a look other models. Keep making suggestions itll be helpful!

May 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 37
I just checked about all the models on headphone.com and compared graphs with the ones i was interested in and D2000 looks like a pretty good choice for a more natural sound, i guess im gna go with that! or at least try :] well thanks this research taught me quite a bit about headphones :D

May 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 37
Well for making beats I don't think there is anything better than Audio-Technica M50 BELOW reference class headphones that runs $300+ in term of the over all BASS performance. Plenty of impact, deep, very well controlled and detailed. It holds itself very well even against some BASS monster cans. You won't notice much about the strong bass unless the music demand it. It's slightly recessed on the mids which I think might not be a bad thing. The treble is kinda hot probably cz the one I auditioned is still a bit lack of burn-in. Not much sound stage, but I guess that's not that important for beats making. Vocal it's great.  It's overall a flatl head phone, however, I don't think is as neutral  as many people said. The mid-upper bass did bring out the body of vocal a bit, which is a nice thing since it make the mid range sounds fuller, Amy Lee sounds wonderful on them with her lower female voice. It sells for 150 on Amazon , or you can find around $100 on Ebay.  Strongly recommended.

May 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 37
hmm idk i need clear mids and highs too its not only bass you know, but as an example i could say that i hear the bass well enough in Beats studio and i expect the bass to be a bit lower in D2000 but how are the low frequencies in D2000 compared to Beats?

May 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
They're usually around $230 on amazon and have dropped as low as $190 a few months back... I think if you call companies like JR they will give you a deal, possibly $230-250

Edit: Oh and they're not neutral, all Denons are attuned for bass.

hmm i was lookin in amazon i couldnt find any AHD2000 lower than like 348$ (for new ones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back