Beats Studio or Denon AH-D7000
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 45
Dude are you serious?
This is like apples to thermonuclear weapons. The only responses you'll get will be from people who have only posted a couple times.
Any serious headfi'er won't go near this thread.
It's a joke
Denon D7000 is at least 10 million times better than the Beats.
Additionally how much an amp can drive in terms of watts has nothing to do with the overall synergy and performance once paired with the headphones. Think about it. Why do people spend thousands on equipment when they can just go to a garage sale and buy a vintage amp that can drive upwards of 800 watts.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 45
The D7000 is among the better cans out there. I love mine and have been finding it difficult to listen to anything else for acoustic music.

But as has been said earlier, for Deadmou5 and the like, these really are a waste of money (IMHO). Sure the D7000 is incredible, but they provide almost no isolation. For 'similar' sound, the M50 (at a fraction of the cost) might provide you with all you need for electronica. They provide excellent, impactful bass, crystaline highs and great isolation. I find them very comfortable and they fold into a provided sack.
You might also want to look at the SRH840. Excellent, more neutral sound, but the bass is not as powerful as with the M50's.

Yes, the D7000 will be a huge improvement to the Beats, but what makes it so good will be lost with electronica.

Dec 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
The D7000 is among the better cans out there. I love mine and have been finding it difficult to listen to anything else for acoustic music.

But as has been said earlier, for Deadmou5 and the like, these really are a waste of money (IMHO). Sure the D7000 is incredible, but they provide almost no isolation. For 'similar' sound, the M50 (at a fraction of the cost) might provide you with all you need for electronica. They provide excellent, impactful bass, crystaline highs and great isolation. I find them very comfortable and they fold into a provided sack.
You might also want to look at the SRH840. Excellent, more neutral sound, but the bass is not as powerful as with the M50's.

Yes, the D7000 will be a huge improvement to the Beats, but what makes it so good will be lost with electronica.

That too. There is a pair of srh840 selling for 100 dollars. Might want to look into that.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 45
how about the A100 vs beat ..

i just picked up a A100 2 days ago,
and the insolution is really good
althought the sound is not as refine as the d7000
to be it sound like a D5000 with abit less bass
( both D7000 and D5000 are sold.)

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 45

Quote:
Errm I never stated what amp I had.

I have a Zero 09' 24bit/192Khz DAC/Headphone AMP which can drive upto 600ohms i'm lead to believe.

WIth the Denons being 25ohms should be able to drive no problem.

So would the Denons with the AMP give a noticeable difference from the Beats Studios with the AMP ?

FYI impedance does not tell the whole story about amping.  Some cans have low impedance but still require a monster amp.  You also need to factor in the current.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of amping headphones is still rather limited but the what I said is still correct.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

No way, the soundstage on the Denons are amazing for electronica. The slightly recessed mids on the Denons is also a plus for that genre making the bass impactful and greater a greater ambient feeling in trance genres. Ultrasone is another choice, ie Pro 900, but their mids are much more recessed and overall sound is not as refined as a D7000. Beats are highly specific towards pop and hip hop genres with their upfront soundstage.

Quote:
Dude are you serious?
This is like apples to thermonuclear weapons. The only responses you'll get will be from people who have only posted a couple times.
It's a joke
Additionally how much an amp can drive in terms of watts has nothing to do with the overall synergy and performance once paired with the headphones. Think about it. Why do people spend thousands on equipment when they can just go to a garage sale and buy a vintage amp that can drive upwards of 800 watts.

I agree. It's almost a redundant question.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 45
No idea what Deadmau5 is but if you like detailed highs, you'll like the Denon D7000s, a lot.  Though there's only a $350 dollar difference between the two the Beats, if priced by Head-fi'ers would fall around $70-80, considering the venerable $100 M50s status.  To amplify, it's like asking if you'll gain a performance advantage buying a pencil vs. a laptop.  

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 45
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
Get the M50 first, then come back again if you itch for an upgrade.

I actually did this exact thing, the M50's are really great and i don't plan on selling mine so if you don;t want to jump so high with the D7000's the M50's are definitely a great alternative

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 45
The D7000 are an absolute dream to listen to and from a music perspective alone I would say they would pants the Beats to DEATH. But they are not portable, and offer almost no isolation. So the M50 on a budget, or the A100 if your in love with the look of wood and want a similar sound to the D7000 but with portability and isolation would both be good options.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 45
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I will only be using the Denons at home anyway, need to get some decent IEMS for portability.

I think I'll get them won't be for a while though.

Anyone know if my AMP will be able to drive them sufficently.

Again it is a Zero 09' 24bit/192Khz DAC/Headphone AMP.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 45

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I will only be using the Denons at home anyway, need to get some decent IEMS for portability.

I think I'll get them won't be for a while though.

Anyone know if my AMP will be able to drive them sufficently.

Again it is a Zero 09' 24bit/192Khz DAC/Headphone AMP.

This is going to really depend. You won't have any idea how well your amp can drive the 7ks until you get them.
I wouldn't go for such a high-end can so fast. Work on upgrading each part of your setup and start small.
Trust me, Even if you have a couple thousand dollars you'll end up spending it all- and always be striving towards sonic perfection afterwards. It's not going to be easy.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
Dude are you serious?
It's a joke

You found a 400 W/channel Mcintosh/Krell/Levinson at what garage sale?!?!?

Okay, I know it was just hyperbole...

I do want to try my various stereo amps' speaker outputs though - I've just got to get a headphone extension cable and then split it for the speaker terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back