Beats Pro Vs Ultrasone Pro 900
Feb 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 88
I own both the Pro 900 and D5000 as well, for that matter.  The D5000 is a better all-rounder.  Everything sounds great on them.  But the Pro 900 hits harder and faster for certain kinds of metal and anything electronic.  I couldn't imagine parting with either.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 88
I owned the Beats Pro and now own the Pro 900. The quality of bass is better on the 900, the Beats Pro hit harder. The Pro 900 can differentiate between different types of bass and has more of a 'rumble', however, I find if you like hip-hop or dance music, the Beats Pro are more in your face. This is all based on unamped sources, through my onboard sound card and my samsung galaxy s ii. I am sure the Pro 900's will be much better amped, but unamped, the Beats Pro are easier to drive through a portable device.

I have a feeling that some people refer to the 'solos/studio' when talking about 'beats'. The Beats Pro are very different from the Solo/Studios, in that the latter have very bloated bass that cover up much detail whereas the Beats Pro have much tighter bass that do not muddy up everything else. The Pro 900 is growing on me, but the Beats Pro are very good as well (imo probably worth $250)

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 88

Quote:
I owned the Beats Pro and now own the Pro 900. The quality of bass is better on the 900, the Beats Pro hit harder. The Pro 900 can differentiate between different types of bass and has more of a 'rumble', however, I find if you like hip-hop or dance music, the Beats Pro are more in your face. This is all based on unamped sources, through my onboard sound card and my samsung galaxy s ii. I am sure the Pro 900's will be much better amped, but unamped, the Beats Pro are easier to drive through a portable device.

I have a feeling that some people refer to the 'solos/studio' when talking about 'beats'. The Beats Pro are very different from the Solo/Studios, in that the latter have very bloated bass that cover up much detail whereas the Beats Pro have much tighter bass that do not muddy up everything else. The Pro 900 is growing on me, but the Beats Pro are very good as well (imo probably worth $250)

+1

i wouldn't say worth 250 dollars though, the denon ah-d2000 will outperform the beats pro. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #19 of 88
The Beats Pro are, apart from the DT48A.00, one of the most efficient headphones I'm aware of; they're well over 100 dB/mW and have a nominal impedance of something like 18-20 ohms (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsPro.pdf). They are designed to be iDevice friendly. From my very brief time with them, I think there are better headphones available (I am not into bass-boosted presentations though). The Ultrasones would easily get that nod. Either will get ear-splitting loud from most devices. Some others to consider would be the Sony XB, and perhaps some of the other Ultrasone models. The Denon AH-D2000 is not in the same league in terms of durability or portability (with either the Beats or the PRO900), but will drive as easily as the Beats Pro (again, very sensitive and very low impedance).

And what do you mean by "I want it very LOAD" - is the word you're looking for "loud" by chance? In that scenario, perhaps Tyll's comments on the Beats Pro would indicate they're a good pick for you: "For DJs, full marks; the other half is the half of “hard core music lovers” who don’t care about the health of their ears, these headphones will do a great job of playing music loud for them while their hearing lasts."

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-pro

I would take the PRO900 over the Beats (especially when they're on sale at $100 less) - they should fit substantially better and weigh quite a bit less (and that alone sells me). The Ultrasone also isolate better, which will allow you to listen at a lower (safer) volume. In fact, just based on the fitment of the Pro (this is what cut my audition short), I'd take MANY other headphones over them. If they weren't so small and heavy they might have something.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 88
my hd 650 get louder than most of my other headphones except the denon. both really efficient. however, the hd 650 are high impedance, so they're different.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 88

Yup yup. The HD 650 are fairly sensitive, despite being higher in impedance than most modern headphones. They play nice with IEC standard 120 ohm jacks too. From my personal collection, ignoring the stats (I think Stereophile figured out that the ESP/950 can reach or approach 130 dB before the amp goes into clipping (note to self: never test this)), the HD 580s are probably the most sensitive overall apart from the Sonys (12 ohms, 99 dB/mW - and you think IEMs can wail). The D2000s were able to get a bit louder (and they can handle a lot more power) - this is all "testing until it's too loud," not putting anything on a meter. Just doing the math, the D2000s (like most hi-fi headphones) can bore your ears out - the Beats Pro can just get there "faster." Hey! There's a contest the Beats can perhaps win against other headphones: make the listener go deaf fastest.
Quote:
my hd 650 get louder than most of my other headphones except the denon. both really efficient. however, the hd 650 are high impedance, so they're different.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 88
the beats do get really loud, but the bass doesn't get stronger with the rest of the sound, the bass just kinda stops and starts sounding very thin and dry.

this is the studio version however.

i wanna hear the pro again. last time i heard them, they sounded like an hd 650 with less detail and less warmth.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 88

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. Looks like if i need an amp to use the pro 900's with my iphone then this is not an option for me.
My only source will be my iphone so i need to select what works best with that.
I am simply using them for day to day commuter listening and while i go for a jog :)

Neopac, your technical input was very useful. In real terms, will the volume be noticably different between both headphones (without any amps)?

I have seen amp add ons for the iPhone.  If that is what you mean.  Auzentech just released one awhile ago.  I have not tested it so I have no idea at the sound or power.  Have a look here...LINK

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

Yeah, I've tried the various different types of Beats back to back and they have quite different sound signatures.  The Pros are the only ones worth anywhere near their cost, though I would still put it much less than $250.  The Studios and Solos don't really sound much better than my old MDR-V150s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 88

Quote:
Quick side question which do you prefer of your D5000 and Pro 900 and why?

Pro 900. 

Because I listen to electronica and rock/ metal most of the time. D5000 has better mids and better highs, and you would imagine mids are very important for rock/ metal. Yes they are. Don't get me wrong: with the right source and amp/ dac Pro 900 will have very detailed mids and great highs. But D5000 do this better and is a better all-rounder. BUT for me a stronger and quicker bass is more important in fast metal/ rock. The bass on D5000 just can't compete with the bass on Pro 900. Both of them are amazing headphones. Both of them has their Pros and Cons, depending on what you're going to use them for.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #26 of 88
i listen to the pro 900s out of the iphone and i cant max out the volume. too loud for me...and i usually crank it. it definitely sounds better amped, but i like it out of the iphone unamped as well.

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #27 of 88

Quote:

Hi Freakflow,

As you have both headphones your opinions are very useful.
When you say that the pro 900 have more of a 'rumble' bass than the beats pro, do you mean it hits deeper (i.e. more earpad vibtaions. lol)?

Is there a big difference in the loudness between the 2 sets of headphones or is it not really noticable? As i mentioned before, other sets I have tried just sounded like halve the volume of the beats pro!!!

Also, can you even use an headphone amp with the IPHONE?

Many thanks

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #28 of 88

Quote:

So you do "need" an amp? IMO if a headphone sound much better when it's amped it's definitely a must to have an amp. It's rather to pointless to buy a headphone if you can't use it to it's potentional. You're better off going for something much cheaper.

No... That's not the point at all. It's not a "definite must" to have an amp just to have the 900s sound better. Following that logic to its conclusion, it would be a "must have" to get the most expensive amp to make the cans sound their best.

With the 900s, you do not, "need" an amp, but they sound better with one. The same can be said for just about any headphone, including earbuds.

To highlight the difference, when you consider something like a Beyer 880, you definitely "need" an amp. You can hardly hear a thing going straight from an iPod, unamped. There is no enjoyment possible if you can barely hear the music. With the 900s, you get significant volume direct from source. You can get better SQ with increasingly better amps. Again, you don't "need" an amp to drive the 900s and enjoy them.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #29 of 88

Quote:
Also, can you even use an headphone amp with the IPHONE?

Absolutely.

Though, with that combo, I recommend going from the Apple Connector (rather than the 1/8" jack) to the amp, thereby not going through the iPhone amp. The amp in the iPhone has something of a bloated sound in comparison.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #30 of 88

Quote:
No... That's not the point at all. It's not a "definite must" to have an amp just to have the 900s sound better. Following that logic to its conclusion, it would be a "must have" to get the most expensive amp to make the cans sound their best.

With the 900s, you do not, "need" an amp, but they sound better with one. The same can be said for just about any headphone, including earbuds.

To highlight the difference, when you consider something like a Beyer 880, you definitely "need" an amp. You can hardly hear a thing going straight from an iPod, unamped. There is no enjoyment possible if you can barely hear the music. With the 900s, you get significant volume direct from source. You can get better SQ with increasingly better amps. Again, you don't "need" an amp to drive the 900s and enjoy them.

That's not my point at all. I said that they sound much better when they're amped, at least when I compared them from an ipod to my regular setup. You don't need to get the best amp there is to make them sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back