Beats by dre Pro Indepth review
May 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #76 of 108
You know why I hate Monster? They take advantage of the ignorance of people to push above average items (average being iBuds and Skullcandies and cheapo electronics) at horrendously premium prices. They take advantage of the weakness of people to branding and advertisement and irrelevant celebrity endorsements and shiny things.

I am not biased. I am not a sheep. I would love nothing more than for Monster to deliver a headphone that performs as well as they are marketed and designed to look like. It would be the end-all. Monster by far has the resources to do this. But, they won't do it, because they're not in it to make quality items, or improve technology, or make people happy. They're here to be a soulless parasite corporation to make the most money they possibly can off of the lack of knowledge of the general population.

This is a forum where the end goal is to find the best sound. This forum is not a soapbox for feelings and people's rights. This is a place for facts and logic and truth, and the truth is, Beats will never be good headphones compared to their price point competition. Tell me, if the Beats were so fantastic, how come so many people get them for half-off and more, sometimes even for FREE? How many other popular headphones sell for half cost or more new? How does Monster not only survive, but thrive when their product is rampantly fire-saled, if their product was actually built to cost?

May 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #77 of 108
Quote:
This is a forum where the end goal is to find the best sound. This forum is not a soapbox for feelings and people's rights. This is a place for facts and logic and truth

This should be in the main page, with quotation marks, right next to the Head-Fi banner.

If you consider that this is no longer the Medieval Age, we start distributing blame more equally. Nowadays people have access to pretty much any kind of information they might actually need. In your house with a computer and an internet access, within 30 seconds you can know the name of the last Russian Czar, or what's the scientific name for salmon. There are websites, such as this, completely devoted to people taking their free time and telling us what their opinion of a pair of headphones is, in different rigs, with various music. I wasn't born on Head-Fi, I discovered it because I was looking for headphone advice. If someone can't take 5 minutes of their day to research how good those cans are, I divide the guilt: Monster feeds on ignorance, but nowadays ignorance is a choice.

Also something to think about: certain audiophile companies do the same than Monster, they only catter to a less ignorant crowd. 1,000$ USB cables, 200$ HDMI cables, special furniture for solid state amps. How is AudioQuest any better than Monster?

May 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #78 of 108
Quote:
You know why I hate Monster? They take advantage of the ignorance of people to push above average items (average being iBuds and Skullcandies and cheapo electronics) at horrendously premium prices. They take advantage of the weakness of people to branding and advertisement and irrelevant celebrity endorsements and shiny things.

I am not biased. I am not a sheep. I would love nothing more than for Monster to deliver a headphone that performs as well as they are marketed and designed to look like. It would be the end-all. Monster by far has the resources to do this. But, they won't do it, because they're not in it to make quality items, or improve technology, or make people happy. They're here to be a soulless parasite corporation to make the most money they possibly can off of the lack of knowledge of the general population.

This is a forum where the end goal is to find the best sound. This forum is not a soapbox for feelings and people's rights. This is a place for facts and logic and truth, and the truth is, Beats will never be good headphones compared to their price point competition. Tell me, if the Beats were so fantastic, how come so many people get them for half-off and more, sometimes even for FREE? How many other popular headphones sell for half cost or more new? How does Monster not only survive, but thrive when their product is rampantly fire-saled, if their product was actually built to cost?

Well said. I try and spread the word of how beats are but people tend to argue with me on the subject very defensively.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #79 of 108
Quote:
Well said. I try and spread the word of how beats are but people tend to argue with me on the subject very defensively.

I daresay many of those people have already purchased Beats, and are loathe to admit that they wasted a significant amount of money on something that performs only as well as an equivalent pair of headphones worth less than half the Beats' price.

I actually dodged a bullet before discovering Head-Fi; I was about to buy a pair of Beats Studios a few years back, but I decided that it'd be prudent to look at other headphone brands, just to be safe. I ended up with a pair of lower-midrange Sennheisers, which lasted me all of six months. Right now, I'm hooked on AKG's house sound, and am currently using the K242 as my primary headphone, with plans to invest in a significantly better amplifier (I own a Fiio E17 amp/DAC) in the near future.

Anyway, if someone's bull-headed enough (or deaf enough) to not admit that Beats products are extremely overpriced, then leave them be. You've nothing to gain from starting unnecessary arguements.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #80 of 108
@cheapdre Not very subtle spamming!

May 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #82 of 108
I'm in high school and I'm shopping for headphones... Whenever I ask at school 9 out of 10 people recommend beats.

I was actually considering buying a pair of beats about 6 months ago when my earbuds that came with my iPod died. But I decided it would be dumb to buy $300 headphones and I bought klipsch image S4 inner earphones. And now that my turtle beach headset that I've used for gaming has died and I have a lot more money now, I've decided to buy a nice pair of headphones and a sound card.. I'm going with HD 598's and a Sound Blaster Zx. But yeah, I've been flamed at school for telling people beats really arent that good. 

May 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #83 of 108
i heard beats studio and beats pro again today. 

the studios are worse than i thought. recently my friend had beats and i thought they where fake cause they sounded bad, they distorted in really low sub-bass and where really recessed, today i heard real beats and realized his pair was actually real as well, they just sound bad.

the pros are nice though, but still aren't perfect in the bass, and should really only cost around 150$-200$ tops. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #84 of 108
Quote:
thanks for putting all that effort in reviewing this relatively new Monster headphone.(^_^)
I hope those newbies considering this headphone can understand the graphs though.

"I hope those newbies considering this headphone can understand the graphs though."

If they do not understand the graphs then the plain words of a comment from a review site should help 
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/13/audiotechinca_atha900_headphones_review/6#.UbQq3ucuO_o ]

[size=14.44444465637207px] We reviewed the Beats by Dre Studio headphones last August. The main attractions for consumers are the trendy appearance and touted bass reproduction. After listening to the A900 headphones, we can say without any doubt, that the A900 headphones put the Beats to shame in every way. The pictures below are not to scale.[/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px]  [/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px] [/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px] The Beats are made of thin, cheap plastic. The Beats paint job is shoddy and its bass reproduction is mediocre at best. For $300 and tax, we expected a lot more. The A900 headphones have much more capable and visceral bass reproduction and if you have ever considered buying a pair of Beats Studio headphones, you should consider Audio-Technica's A900 headphones first. The A900 headphones do not have the current "cool factor" that the Beats do, but the A900 construction, comfort, and sound stage are vastly superior to the Beats. If you bought Beats, you likely just got beaten and robbed.[/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px]
[/size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #85 of 108
On another topic. The beats pill.

I just saw this review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHJ8HEUmwU

which proposes that the beats pill sounds better than another equally priced speaker.

Is it only my ears that the beats pill wretched while playing that violin?

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #86 of 108
I don't post here much anymore but I have to defend the pros here. I got a pair from my brother's friend and just gave them to me for free cause his dad bought him another pair. I made sure I went through the hassle finding if these were legit and to conclusion they were.

First listen they had more bass I am use to but defiantly not over bearing and clear. It actually gave the midrange a warm tone which was like the old pair of 240 studios I had but defiantly clear and distinctive. The top and treble was unofensive and found enough there where it didn't stab my ear drums. I actually really enjoy them a lot. Very unofensive sound to them and defiantly can become better with some simple mods I personally think to tame the midbass down and make the midrange clearer. I agree that 450 is too much but I disagree that all the hate they receive and is just some cult bandwagon thing or something cause they defiantly do not sound nearly as bad people on here make them out to be. They are defiant keepers for me. Also excuse my writing and spelling since I been using this horrid touch screen on my phone untill I get my computer working again.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #87 of 108
Even my 11 yr old son asked me about beats recently and this sort of started me on head-fi and now an owner of a Q701.
I let him listen on the Q701 and then the most expensive beats pair at Fry's and asked him 3 questions :

1. which one he think sounds better.  Answer was q701
2. which one makes more sense to buy and gives better price/performance.  Answer was q701
3. which one looks cooler.  Answer was beats

:)

At least, I was glad he knew and could tell the difference and clear on the reason he would want to get a pair of beats and certainly, it's not because of sound quality.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #88 of 108

24 carat gold plated, 'Collectors Series' Beats by Dr. Dre

"This great headphones" are now available to discerning audiophiles in the limited 'Collectors Series'. "24ct Gold Plated Dr Dre Beats Studio Headphones will be delivered in a custom made walnut box, engraved with serial numbers. On purchase of each headphone, the buyer would get a certificate of authenticity relating to the individual purchase. The headphones also carry warranty and individual customer numbers, so that the item remains unique, and is never repeated." Ten pieces of this 'Collectors Series' edition have been reserved exclusively for Harrods Department store in London where the members of the royal family do their shopping. 
These supreme headphones come with two years of warranty for a price of $2,500

24ct-Gold-Plated-Dr-Dre-Beats-Studio-headphones-5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pz6nKNUYhFo
http://www.extravaganzi.com/24ct-gold-plated-dr-dre-beats-studio-headphones-by-crystal-rocked/

No further comment. I am in 'shock and awe'.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #90 of 108
I decided to take the pros apart couple days ago and the kid that gave them to my brother told they were defiantly legit cause got them off offical beats website. I thought unmodded they sounded not bad all and liked them. But i wanted to tune the midbass tad bit and make the treble bit more clear(even though I found not much issues with it when I first got them):

I decided to take the pads off and take the circular cloth in the pads out. It was easy to rip off and I ripped it where I can put them back whenever. That right there cleared up the warmness tone I heard within the midrange and brouth them closer to neutral.

I then unscrewed the baffles and looked in the enclosure and slight surprised and not of no damping material inside. Reason I'm shocked there is not much if very little knwon resonance at all. Have to give monster credit for not making razor of death drivers. I did ntoiced a slight shoutyness in midrange if I listened above normal listening levels which probably due to no damping in the enclosure and plastic material it's made of. I just ripped up some fiberglass and threw it in the enclosure,closed them up and took a listen. Bass defiantly became tad bit more tame and the midrange cleared up too. The treble as well I notice was bit more prominent and clear which probably led to a more clear sounding midrange. Still no peaking up top though even though where its stabbing my eardrums or anything.

I liked how the pros actually sounded before with its unoffensive sound but doing little clean up I actually really like them now and probably end up as my main portable headphone. I even tried amping them via my preamps and via speaker outputs with the speaker box made couple years ago to test headphones off speaker outputs. Didn't though notice too much difference going from my phone to speaker outs of my H/K 770 dual-mono power amp except bit more clarity as usual.

You guys can hate all you like on beats and monster. I still think did pretty good job with the pros not making them razor of treble death headphones. Not bad monster. Not bad indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back