Beats by dre Pro Indepth review
Jun 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #47 of 108

Quote:

Which Beats? The Studio sounded outrageously, horribly bad for their pricing. I couldn't stand listening to them extensively for more than a week.

obviously the pros considering the thread title.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #48 of 108

Quote:
obviously the pros considering the thread title.

Right. I'll see whether I can borrow a pair, see whether that they retain that Monster overpriciness...

How much are is the street price of the Pros in America? In my country, all Beats headphones are sold at MRSP...

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #49 of 108

Quote:

Right. I'll see whether I can borrow a pair, see whether that they retain that Monster overpriciness...

How much are is the street price of the Pros in America? In my country, all Beats headphones are sold at MRSP...

i never said they are as good as the price suggests but i do honestly like them more then my old shure srh750djs.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #50 of 108
Like it isn't enough frustrating seeing constantly Beats marketing exploiting business in TV was bad enough, certainly no need for spambots in head-fi spamming fake/scam BS. -_-

(As you read this the previous spampost above this post was already deleted)

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #51 of 108
Thanks deadmeat for the time and effort put on the scientific testing. Pretty sure many of us have indeed tried the Beats line of headphones, and this confirms what we've heard.

I personally got to compare them side-by-side with my Klipsch S5i and iPhone 4, with a few songs. Definitely like my S5i better. Heck, one of the models (I think it was the solo, not sure), reminded me of my cheapo Logitech 2.1 speaker setup with iTunes AND onboard soundcard on Bass boost....LOL! No wonder younger folks like them. Great for those bwooonnng-bwooonnng-bwooonnng music.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #52 of 108
pro 900s/DT1350s beat dre pros in every single turn.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #54 of 108
These work well with an iPhone.The pro version is far superior to the others. It has good dynamics and is easy to drive (no need for headphone amp). Great cans for air travel. Sound quality is very good for closed back design (gives around 17 dB of ambient noise reduction). It is built like a tank and folds easily - durable and great for travel. You can get better sound quality for less in closed back - such as the Sennheiser HD25Pro which are better controlled in the bass and slightly more dynamic but you lose a little bass extension. The studio Pro Beats cans have huge bass extension and the problem is you need to set EQ to "Bass Reducer" to get a balanced sound.

Great cans that are NOT overpriced considering build quality and how well they work with a lousy source like an ipod and how well they fold up - but those judging only sound quality will find they are NOT quite as good as similar priced cans from AKG or Sennheiser with a good amp. Some may hate these cans because they absolutely require EQ and bass can be slighty inarticulate at times.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #57 of 108
why people like the beats-

-They find it stylish at least the consumerist that buy it.
-As I know a bit about marketing monster knows what people like to listen to and have created a headphone for them. Don't you think they got the money to higher every damn good engineer and put out an unbelievable headphone.
-portable
-very good isolation
-and does not require every other gadget in the world to work. 

You guys say non audiophiles are stupid for paying 400 dollars on headphones that sound bad, but then if you think about it there are some people that have payed well over 2grand on gear here, i hate sound like an *******, but isn't that kind of ironic. I personally got into the audiophile world because of the beats. I didn't lose a penny on them sold them for the same price i bought them for, owned them for 6+ months and i enjoyed them. I can't say the same for my other headphones I've bought. I feel like people forget why they became audiophiles, its more about the headphones now than it is the music you listen to. I too have this problem. No headphone here will ever be good enough and just like any kind of activity you partake in you will get bored of it. Personally wish I got into this hobby when I was a lot older, then i probably would appreciate it more, but till that time comes stop hating on consumerist products, people don't have time to snoop around the interwebs looking for what headphones are the best for them, they got better things to do, plus shouldn't these other audiophile companies start focusing on creating consumerist products or get their products out their or would that be blasphemy to you audiophiles. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #58 of 108
It's actually sad that other people here hates the Beats line. Actually for me they are fun headphones. They are easily available in some recognized stores, even Apple market them and the sound quality is okay coming from ibuds. They look awesome like fashion accessories and boost up coolness to young people, especially kids and teenagers. I know they have their own cause.

But if someone is very serious in buying an audiophile upgrade, someone might as well go to the internet and search . From that point, you thinking critically of your purchase - your bang-of-buck purchase. In the world of many information, you should take each comments on each headphone product with a grain-of-salt. Each forums says positive to this headphone, some say it's negative. But it's your really ears (or other factors like asthetic) that will tell you if you liked it or not. If yes, then GO (you may sell them later if you like). If you have doubt, consider some headphones more, learn, hear and research more. Maybe you may encounter a cheaper alternative not too shabby looking but fun and interesting headphone for you. It's cool to be a smart consumer once in a while.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #59 of 108

Quote:
It's actually sad that other people here hates the Beats line. Actually for me they are fun headphones. They are easily available in some recognized stores, even Apple market them and the sound quality is okay coming from ibuds. They look awesome like fashion accessories and boost up coolness to young people, especially kids and teenagers. I know they have their own cause.

But if someone is very serious in buying an audiophile upgrade, someone might as well go to the internet and search. (...)

Anything from the iBuds sounds good. I respectfully disagree with that categorization. I don't think there's the stock iBuds market of people who don't care, and then the audiophile market of expensive cans, amps and cables. There's an in-between of hundreds of 32-ohm headphones that are fun to listen, easy to get and much less expensive than the Beats. They aren't an easy alternative to the iBuds, the HD-25, DT-1350, ATH-M50, SRH-750, those are the alternatives for people who don't want to care too much and have something work fine for them.

Quote:
(...) people don't have time to snoop around the interwebs looking for what headphones are the best for them, they got better things to do, plus shouldn't these other audiophile companies start focusing on creating consumerist products or get their products out their or would that be blasphemy to you audiophiles.

They what? In the XXI century, if you spend 1 hours researching any topic online you can become an expert on it. People are too lazy to take advantage of the informaion made available freely to them. Before any big purchase, and not just audio, I make, I research it online. Reviews, comparisons, technical specifications. For people who don't really care that much to spend 30 minutes of their time on Google, yes, the other brands should have a simple ad just letting them know "it's not all Beats and Bose, you can have us too!", but that is not an excuse for the average consumer to make stupid decisions by not caring enough to make the simplest research.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #60 of 108

Quote:
why people like the beats-

-They find it stylish at least the consumerist that buy it.
-As I know a bit about marketing monster knows what people like to listen to and have created a headphone for them. Don't you think they got the money to higher every damn good engineer and put out an unbelievable headphone.
-portable
-very good isolation
-and does not require every other gadget in the world to work. 

You guys say non audiophiles are stupid for paying 400 dollars on headphones that sound bad, but then if you think about it there are some people that have payed well over 2grand on gear here, i hate sound like an *******, but isn't that kind of ironic. I personally got into the audiophile world because of the beats. I didn't lose a penny on them sold them for the same price i bought them for, owned them for 6+ months and i enjoyed them. I can't say the same for my other headphones I've bought. I feel like people forget why they became audiophiles, its more about the headphones now than it is the music you listen to. I too have this problem. No headphone here will ever be good enough and just like any kind of activity you partake in you will get bored of it. Personally wish I got into this hobby when I was a lot older, then i probably would appreciate it more, but till that time comes stop hating on consumerist products, people don't have time to snoop around the interwebs looking for what headphones are the best for them, they got better things to do, plus shouldn't these other audiophile companies start focusing on creating consumerist products or get their products out their or would that be blasphemy to you audiophiles. 

No, Monster doesn't know what people like to listen to. They know what makes them the most profit and they know that there are millions of people who never heard anything other than their stock ibuds.  Then, they put 2 and 2 together and decided that there was a market they could exploit by making cheap, crappy headphones and few people would ever know that they could get something far better for far less money. They decided that all they had to do was pay off a bunch of celebrities and create a lot of buzz.

Yes, they have the money to hire every engineer and make a really good headphone. They decided not to.  They spent far more in hiring PR firms, advertising, marketing and celebrity endorsements than they did for audio engineers. The results are obvious.  Had they made a really good product, it would have cut into their marketing budget and, therefore, their profits.  That, for Monster, is untenable.

You are correct that other companies should focus more on mass marketing, but that doesn't mean they have to make junk. There IS such a thing as a good quality consumer product.  The two are not mutually exclusive. There are hundreds of better quality headphones out there that cost less and sound far better without extra amping or "every other gadget in the world".  Quality sells just as PR does. The only thing is, a reputation for quality takes longer to achieve and to produce the massive profits.  Monster chose to take the shortcut and buy a reputation. But, you can't buy a reputation for quality.  That's why they'll never have one. They'll forever be known only for fashion and trendiness.  It's a short-sighted strategy that pays off now but it's very hard to maintain long term.  But Monster doesn't care about long term.  It is concerned only with next quarter's earning statement, typical for modern corporations.  It's reflected in their products. They will treat their headphone line just like they did their cable line, as a cash cow.  Fifty years from now, Sennheiser and Sony will still be respected brands.  Monster will be a bad joke, as they should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back