Bay Area Meet (California): February 19th, 2011
Feb 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #496 of 527
Told you guys that O2 is a different ball-game than the Lambdas. 
evil_smiley.gif

Still, looks like everyone had a blast! Looking forward to the impressions. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #497 of 527
I wanted to wait until the meet...er, met expectations and it seemed as if everyone had a great experience...

The Bay Area Meet would like to Sincerely Thank:

Veterans whose spirit and advice made the meet possible and successful:
  1. jp11801 impetus/advice/paved the way
  2. Voltron paved the way...

Members and attendees:
  1. renlute- support/advice/maps to dinner/original interest thread
  2. mkubota- signs/raffle fishbowl/sleep deprivation to make signs so nice
  3. migsmack- Power Strip and Extension Kit!
  4. KevinBrown- my great friendship with him inspired me to organize
  5. Susan- my co-worker saved the day by checking everyone in

Couldn't make it to the meet but gave great moral support (better see you next time):
  1. mikemalter- hope you feel better!
  2. FLACvest- hope you feel better too!

Members
Vets
Vendors...

All showed up in FORCE.

In the rain & from as far as:
  1. Seattle
  2. New York
  3. Nevada
  4. SoCal

You packed your gear, you arranged time off with significant others, you braved the roads, the weather, the lack of hairnets...what can I say?

I only listened to a few things but some of them just had me laughing because I didn't know it was possible to hear that in a headphone.  And you were all so nice.  Thanks for that!

Thank you to Ultimate Ears...you brought FIVE raffle prizes (including a Squeezebox Touch), an Audiologist, and 25% off custom orders (with free impressions).

Thank you to Doc B. of Bottlehead who donated a Bottlehead Crack DIY Amp Kit...

Thank you to Fang of HeadDirect/HIFIMan who donated TWO RE262's to the raffle.

Thank you to my friend Robert Rich who donated (3) of his latest album, "Ylang" to the raffle.

Thank you to NuForce for loaning some gear.

Thank you to Schiit for the sneak peek at LYR.

So What's Next???
  1. Need a Fall Date for the next Bay Area Meet
  2. Need the next Organizer (I will help!)
  3. Don't need a Deposit!  (Paying it forward from this meet!!!)
                              ...and even contributing $150 to H.E.A.D.!!!

I will start a new thread for Meet Impressions and put that link in BLUE and large font in the first posts of this thread and a post here to end this one.  

(Please post pictures, impressions, hints for the next meet, thoughts about the next date, and if you are game to be the Next Bay Area Meet Man.  I can tell you that it is TOTALLY rewarding.  I had no idea where Head-Fi was going to take me but I am so glad...we've got ourselves a fun hobby and a great community.)

Pleasure to meet you all and hope it is just the beginning!
CEE TEE

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #498 of 527
epocs, thank you!!  

Here's the impressions thread courtesy of epocs:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540576/amazing-bay-area-meet-2-19-11-impressions-thread#post_7289787  

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #499 of 527

Quote:
Thank you to Ultimate Ears...you brought FIVE raffle prizes (including a Squeezebox Touch), an Audiologist, and 25% off custom orders (with free impressions).

That noise you just heard was those people who couldn't make it slapping their foreheads... 
eek.gif
  ..folllowed by a huge sigh of relief from their wallets!

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #500 of 527
Awesome meet.  NorCal Head-fiers are cool crowd as always
beerchug.gif
.    Thanks to CEE TEE for organizing this great event.

My first time auditioning of LCD-2.  Very impressed by its performance in vocal and tonality.  Bass is tight and textured like most reviewers stated.  Sound stage is closed in especially comparing to HD800.

Again,  Ironbut's  rig impressed everybody who listened it just like this future Head-fier: 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #501 of 527
I think I win bragging rights in one category. I made it even though I live in france... Actually a very remote far from anywhere region of france.
wink_face.gif

Great meet and thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Quote:
I wanted to wait until the meet...er, met expectations and it seemed as if everyone had a great experience...

Members
Vets
Vendors...

All showed up in FORCE.

In the rain & from as far as:
  1. Seattle
  2. New York
  3. Nevada
  4. SoCal

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #502 of 527
CEE TEE, thank you very much for putting together such a fun, and enlightening event! And that goes to everyone else who made this happen. This was my first meet. I haven't ever compared so many systems in one day before, let alone anything capable of such high quality playback, as the stuff people shared yesterday. This really does a lot for helping one to finding out what it is that they're looking for. Linguistic descriptions can only do so much. Everyone looked like they had a good time. And why wouldn't they? This was great! And I can't wait to do it again.

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #503 of 527

Quote:
On my way....

It was great meeting finally meeting you Paul, even it was only for a few moments (too bad we couldn't talk more, since there was so much gear around us!)  GL in London and keep me updated!

Quote:
Wow!!!  It was so awesome!!  I've learned so much... and it was sweet to meet to many of you face-to-face.

Walfredo -  what a coincidence it was for us that we both own Polk LSi series loudspeakers (you HAVE to upgrade to the LSi15 sometime in the future), although mine are back at home, so I'm making use of my Energy RC-10s at the moment.  Feel free to PM anytime about speaker/amplifier discussion, if you need any advice.  Best of luck to you on your journey to a great setup! (and also, looking forward to having lunch with you someday!

Quote:
Thank you CEE TEE for getting this wonderful meet together. Thanks also to all who helped. The maps, lists, milk crate of cords... none of those things brought themselves.
Thanks foe Susan's help in keeping things organized at the front.

Richard - thanks again for hooking us up with a ride to the meet (thanks Renee!), and also for allowing us to experience your DT880s//D7000s and the ever-wonderful Benchmark DAC1 Pre.  Which'll be my next DAC, hopefully.

Quote:
I had an amazing time. I got to hear a lot of awesome setups, and talk to some really cool people. I've found some inspiration to get back to work on my Chu Moy, and then move on to bigger and better things!

Mad props to Cee Tee for setting this awesome event up.

I took quite a few pictures, but I think this one is especially good. I couldn't let Cee Tee get all the pictures!

There's some more on my Flickr, and I'll be sure to get my film scanned in once I get it processed.

Kevin - glad I could have a fellow dorm-mate share this incredible hi-fi experience (both of us being new to the bay area), and may I usher you into Head-Fi with the standard traditional words of welcome: "Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet!" 
smily_headphones1.gif

-I'll be checking whether you finish the CMoy soon. Serious.  And to CEE TEE, sorry about reposting your soon-to-be infamous shot =/.

@CEE TEE, or rather, Christian - what can I say?  You truly exemplify and bring the level of being a true "Head-Fier" to another new level.  Props to everything that happened yesterday, and the days leading up towards in.  Even though I'm new to the SF bay area, hope we can work together in the future, and continue to bring Head-Fi syndrome to the bay area en masse.  Thank you.

Final thought?  MUST GET the HD800.  MUST---   And also, we'll get our batch of photos up soon (Matchstix's covering that).

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #504 of 527
CEE TEE, 
Very nice to meet you.  Thank you for putting it together.  I had loads of fun.  :)

I want to Thank everyone for being so kind in letting me try out your gear.  You guys are AWESOME!  

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #505 of 527
Thanks CEE TEE for putting tremendous effort into making this event possible and the fact that you lended me a power cord really saved my day!!!

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #506 of 527
Thank you CEE-TEE, for an epic event! We look forward to your next hosted event for sure. I would also like to extend my heart felt thanks to Amb of the venerable Amb Laboratories for hosting me and my wife to help me cut costs this time. Highlight of the show for me was to listen (after hours) to my new diy towers utilizing the mighty Beta24. I was astonished at the sheer power and clarity that such a beautifully designed fully differential amplifier can attain. My speakers, being a first build had me a bit worried, but the Beta24 carried them through and then some with rich tubey(while of course being 100% solid state) sounding renderings for the demo/characterization. This has given me the desire to eventually build a Beta22 as my budget allows to run these speakers. Laptop > Gamma2 > Beta22 > My diy speakers would finally give me the audiophile sound I have been working towards.

It was good to see you again Rockcod! And I enjoyed our discussions about the Beta22 and all things in the audio world and beyond. I had a great Chinese dinner afterwards with Amb, Linuxworks, and my wife Kathi. It was great to see what Linuxworks brought to the event demonstrating the awesome abilties of the Arduino utilized to its maximum capabalities in an audio scenario, as well as the hard drive controller, which controlls an array of drives to deliver their multimedia content. Kudos on such an ingenious implementation! Thank you Frank Cooter, Ironbut, RythmDevils and everyone who attended this highly enjoyable event!

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #507 of 527
(This has been moved to the correct thread LOL. I was a little tired after the long drive)

Thank you CEE-TEE, for an epic event! We look forward to your next hosted event for sure. I would also like to extend my heart felt thanks to Amb of the venerable Amb Laboratories for hosting me and my wife to help me cut costs this time. Highlight of the show for me was to listen (after hours) to my new diy towers utilizing the mighty Beta24. I was astonished at the sheer power and clarity that such a beautifully designed fully differential amplifier can attain. My speakers, being a first build had me a bit worried, but the Beta24 carried them through and then some with rich tubey(while of course being 100% solid state) sounding renderings for the demo/characterization. This has given me the desire to eventually build a Beta22 as my budget allows to run these speakers. Laptop > Gamma2 > Beta22 > My diy speakers would finally give me the audiophile sound I have been working towards.

It was good to see you again Rockcod! And I enjoyed our discussions about the Beta22 and all things in the audio world and beyond. I had a great Chinese dinner afterwards with Amb, Linuxworks, and my wife Kathi. It was great to see what Linuxworks brought to the event demonstrating the awesome abilties of the Arduino utilized to its maximum capabalities in an audio scenario, as well as the hard drive controller, which controlls an array of drives to deliver their multimedia content. Kudos on such an ingenious implementation! Thank you Frank Cooter, Ironbut, RythmDevils and everyone who attended this highly enjoyable event!

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #508 of 527
Wow, all this typing and I posted to the wrong thread!!  I'll see if I can't get it moved over!

What more can I say?  CeeTee put on a world class event.  MOT were out in force showing off awesome gear and offering almost irresistible deals.  Most of all it was just great fun to meet some folks from Head-Fi!

I guess you could say the meet didn't end for me on Saturday.... I went to the meet wanting the chance to hear a few things that I had my eye on.  Offerings from Woo Audio were on the top of my list to check out.  Thanks to a few folks I got to do just that, including being able to A/B a 6 and 6SE right next to each other with my own headphones (thanks to SanJoseCanJunkie).  My impressions made it clear that I preferred the SE.  I left knowing that a new amp was in my future, but happy enough with my current gear to take my time making a purchase.  Ha, well that lasted until Sunday morning when I was casually reading the for sale forum.  Seems wind016 was at the meet too and decided he was looking to go in a new direction and was willing to part with his WA SE6.  Here we are on Monday night and I'm listening to my new to me Woo!  In spite of the damage to my wallet I'm glad I was able to make this (significant for me) purchase after being able to audition it, something that would not have been possible without a meet like this.  If you have the chance to make it to a meet in the future the opportunity to try before you buy is priceless.

I got beat to the punch on some great pictures, but I'm going to put a few up anyway!!

LCD-2's were out in force!

Plenty of great headphones to try with some Woo goodness in the background...

Why did they stop making K1000's?

First listen for me... nice...

I was really impressed with the HE-5... for sale forum??

Side by side comparison anyone?  Where else can you do that?

In search of comfort for our Grado's!

Can't resist another shot of Franks beautiful work!

Let the geek times roll, I mean good times!!  Cool stuff!!

Thanks again SanJoseCanJunkie for sharing your gear so I could make an informed purchase!

Looking forward to the next meet!  How about a mini meet before the next big one??

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #509 of 527
Anybody remember the username of the guy in the last picture and the younger guy in the 2nd to last picture?  I remember talking to a bunch of people in these pics but can't remember any usernames.  It's bugging the heck out of me. :p

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #510 of 527
Anybody remember the username of the guy in the last picture and the younger guy in the 2nd to last picture?  I remember talking to a bunch of people in these pics but can't remember any usernames.  It's bugging the heck out of me. :p

The last is SanJoseCanJunkie, Dustin. I saw the other guy but didn't catch his name...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back