Bassiest $30ish Headphones?
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
true this, and if you don't like them you can send them back and only lose about $5

I just ordered the pair of the pannies, I hope i have the same experience you did.

Am sure you will not be disappointed, let us know what you think of them after approx. 30 hours of burn in. Only thing i will say about these phones is they leak sound like open phones although they are classed a closed back.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #20 of 30
The mono's have detachable cable which is nice, but I can't comment on the durability. I would put both in a headphone bag either way while traveling.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
The htf-600 has good bass impact and slam for $30. I owned the hd428 and the bass was pretty darn good with out the mod the wje described, so with the mod it would be quite impressive I'd imagine. 

gL!!

Actually, I revised my "mod" last evening.  The revisions included:

-> Covering the two outers bass vent holes on the rear of the driver casing with "micropore" medical tape.

-> Leaving the center hole open to provide the bass enhancement.

-> Used a small layer of plasticine (non-hardening clay that we use for the Fostex T50RP mods) around the sides and rear of the speaker / driver enclosure.  The plasticine layer is about 1/8" thick and was not applied in the area where the bass holes and the side headband mounts are applied.

The bass?  Solid, slamming and fantastic!!  Not sloppy at all.  Others have commented on sloppy bass resulting in opening the vent holes, but I think that using the micropore tape and the thin layer of plasticine was key at damping things to tighten them up a bit.  At the moment, the bass I'm getting is stronger than my modified Fostex T50RPs and my HifiMAN HE-400s.  Also, I commented that the mid-range was a bit thin.  However, that apparently was a result of my source gear at the time.  Using an iPod classic and no external amp, these headphones simply rock.  Also, when used in conjunction with my Yamaha stereo receivers, they also rock.  With the better quality headphone amps, they don't fare as well.  Well those amps do great at driving the higher demands of the ortho headphones, they seem to work against the quite-efficient Sennheiser HD-428 headphones.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Actually, I revised my "mod" last evening.  The revisions included:

-> Covering the two outers bass vent holes on the rear of the driver casing with "micropore" medical tape.

-> Leaving the center hole open to provide the bass enhancement.

-> Used a small layer of plasticine (non-hardening clay that we use for the Fostex T50RP mods) around the sides and rear of the speaker / driver enclosure.  The plasticine layer is about 1/8" thick and was not applied in the area where the bass holes and the side headband mounts are applied.

The bass?  Solid, slamming and fantastic!!  Not sloppy at all.  Others have commented on sloppy bass resulting in opening the vent holes, but I think that using the micropore tape and the thin layer of plasticine was key at damping things to tighten them up a bit.  At the moment, the bass I'm getting is stronger than my modified Fostex T50RPs and my HifiMAN HE-400s.  Also, I commented that the mid-range was a bit thin.  However, that apparently was a result of my source gear at the time.  Using an iPod classic and no external amp, these headphones simply rock.  Also, when used in conjunction with my Yamaha stereo receivers, they also rock.  With the better quality headphone amps, they don't fare as well.  Well those amps do great at driving the higher demands of the ortho headphones, they seem to work against the quite-efficient Sennheiser HD-428 headphones.

Nice. Any chance of some internal pics?

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 30
+1 for Panasonic HTF600

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:
Nice. Any chance of some internal pics?

I didn't get any internal pics at the time as the last time I had the drivers out, it was about 1:00 a.m. However, either this evening, or tomorrow evening, I will take them apart again when I perform the recable procedure.  I'll take pictures of the rear of the driver so all can see where the "work" spots are.

These headphones are freakin' amazing with the iPod Classic.  I never thought I'd find a headphone that I could run straight off the iPod without involving some sort of separate amp and EQ.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

I didn't get any internal pics at the time as the last time I had the drivers out, it was about 1:00 a.m. However, either this evening, or tomorrow evening, I will take them apart again when I perform the recable procedure.  I'll take pictures of the rear of the driver so all can see where the "work" spots are.

These headphones are freakin' amazing with the iPod Classic.  I never thought I'd find a headphone that I could run straight off the iPod without involving some sort of separate amp and EQ.

Nice, that will be great.

Does the classic have more output power than the iPhone? I am near max volume on my 4S to get a good level.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 30
I thought the Pannies sounded just fine without modding.

I removed the foam for the lil' bit of extra clarity and with a couple more hours of burn in I actually prefer them over my old Superlux HD681 which broke, but I do miss some of the clarity those had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back