Basshead IEM Comparisons
Jul 11, 2021 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bgpolyhistor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I've been growing my collection of IEM's over the past year or so and wanted to share some thoughts and opinions. Just for a bit of a background- I'm not a professional. I am an amateur musician and lover of music. I do prefer musical signatures over flat/analytical models, and I appreciate bass in particular- I've made all of my purchases with this in mind. I lack the expertise to crank out multiple in-depth reviews but at this point I've heard enough to offer basic impressions to other enthusiasts as far as basshead IEM/s go. I'm in an area with no hi-fi retail stores- all of the IEM's I'm about to share my thoughts on were purchased online without auditioning. I have not been loaned any units or asked by manufacturers to share reviews. My sincere motivation for posting is the understanding that many audiophiles are dependent on the thoughts and descriptions of others to guide their purchases.

Without further delay, here's the current lineup I'm enjoying:

stable.jpg

I'll be describing and ranking the following:

64 Audio Nio, Unique Melody MEST, Campfire Audio Mammoth, Empire Ears Bravado (OG), and finally the Empire Ears Legend X Special Edition. I alternate between the following tips: Symbio W (silicone/foam hybrid), SednaEarFit Xelastics, Spinfit CP 100's, and Comply foam comfort tips. I generally end up favoring the Xelastics across all models.

My primary sources are a Klipsch Heritage desktop DAC/Amp and an iBasso DX300. The majority of songs were FLAC, and played through JRiver Media- others are streamed from Amazon HD Music or Spotify. I am using stock cables- in the case of the two Empire Ears models a 2.5mm balanced termination and a 3.5mm single ended termination on the remaining units. Here's a base playlist I'm going through with each set:

We Used To Know - Jethro Tull
Whipping Post (Studio Version) - Allman Brothers Band
Blue Sky - Allman Brother's Band
What Can I Say - Brandi Carlisle
Thursday - Jim Croce
I Got a Name (Stereo Version) - Jim Croce
Malibu Man- Dan Auerbach
Quick Musical Doodles - Two Feet
Cradles - Sub Urban
White Satin - Zeds Dead Remix

Campfire Audio Mammoth

Starting with the most recent release we have the Campfire Audio Mammoth. Please note that I have around 20 hours of burn in completed on the Mammoths at the time of writing, whereas Campfire Audio recommends around 150 hours of burn in. Make of that what you will- if my impressions change after further burn in I will update them accordingly. From the Campfire Audio Website:

Specifications​

5Hz–20 kHz Frequency Response

94 dB SPL @ 1kHz: 18.16 mVrms

8.1 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Features​

Machined Aluminum Body

‘Frozen Tundra’ Anodized Finish

Single Custom Balanced Armature (High)

Single Custom Balanced Armature (Mid)

Single Custom 10mm Bio-Cellulose Diaphragm Dynamic Driver

Custom Beryllium / Copper MMCX Connections

Black PVD Finished Stainless Steel Spout

‘Smoky Glow’ Silver Plated Copper Litz Cable – 3.5mm Stereo to MMCX connectors

ca-mammoth.jpg

As you can see these are pretty sharp looking. As with all Campfire Audio products, I love the aesthetic, packaging and cable included with Mammoth- I also felt like the glow-in-the-dark cable connections were both unique and practical. Below is a picture from the unboxing:

mammoth_2.jpg

Within seconds of first hearing the Mammoth one notices that it is bass dominant. Bass is large and in charge, with nice texture and a good mix of speed and quantity. Mids and treble come through at a very similar volume to my ear and are rather dramatically recessed compared to the lows. Their soundstage is of average width for an IEM, however on the synthesized drop around the 57 second mark in "White Satin" gave me very little sense of depth. On the other sets mentioned today, the sound seems to drip down your ears from top to bottom. These performed better on modern music- although they seem to have boosted midbass over subbass they were at their best on tracks like "Quick Musical Doodles" by Two Feet and "Cradles" by Sub Urban- my default test tracks for bass slam and rumble. Unfortunately, I found mids and highs to be lacking given the price point. Compared to the rest of my collection, I would note two shortcomings based on my preferences: Firstly, that everything other than bass sounds a bit too recessed on many of the tracks I sampled-to the extent where you miss a lot on busy recordings. Interestingly, when I listened to the Aretha Franklin compilation “Soul Queen” her voice was very much in the foreground and it felt harsh to my ears- not due to the volume of her voice. It to the tone. Secondly, that female vocals and some instruments- really anything other than the bass- sound nasally to me. It's a "tubey" sort of sound I also noticed when I owned the CA Polaris II, my first audiophile IEM. Maybe it's the Campfire Audio "house sound," maybe its the elevated midbass, or maybe I'm mistaken.

Considering that these were only released a few days ago, there has already been much speculation that Mammoth would be a Polaris version 3. I sold my Polaris II's last year but as they were my first significant audio investment I remember them well enough. I don't consider the Mammoth to be a Polaris remake. Both models had bombastic bass and were at the same price point, but the Polaris II had intense and at times harsh treble, and even more bass impact and quantity than the Mammoths. Whereas the Polaris II was a very aggressive V-shaped signature, the Mammoth is more L-shaped and was perhaps a step back as far as mids go- definitely a step back in treble quality. Whereas the Polaris was deliberately bold the Mammoth is a much safer but somehow less fulfilling tuning in my opinion, despite the Polaris II's imperfections. I actually prefer L shaped signatures- this one is not the best executed I've heard. The overall tone of Mammoth seems very different to me than that of Polaris II- but perhaps other reviewers or further info from CA will prove me wrong.

EDIT- Campfire Audio has apparently revealed on Reddit that the Mammoth is a W shaped signature, not an L tuning as I had initially thought. Furthermore, CA has stated that the Mammoth was a Polaris project that went in another direction. While Mammoth isn’t a Polaris remake it is apparently a variation on the Polaris.

In summary, there's a lot to love about Mammoth: The look, the build quality, the premium packaging, or the awesome bass. They are also not tip dependent, which I consider a plus. Unfortunately sound wise the powerful and articulate bass isn't enough to make up for the unnatural sounding middle and high frequencies. I haven't posted a review yet because I've only had Mammoth for a few days- not enough time to use extensively or to burn in per manufacturer recommendations. I still felt they were worth including in the lineup and as with any impression, my opinion may not align with yours. Personally, I expected more given the retail price of $549.

Empire Ears Bravado

Next we have the Empire Ears Bravado. On one hand, this may be a silly time to bring attention to the Bravado's with the recent release of the Bravado MKII. On the other hand, the MKII led to a price drop on the OG Bravado and I can personally confirm that the original Bravado's still deserve your respect. From the manufacturer web page:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

• Proprietary Drivers, Hybrid Design
  • 1 W9 Subwoofer, 1 Mid-High
  • 4-Way synX Crossover System
  • A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology
  • Impedance: 22 ohms @ 1kHz
  • Frequency Response: 8 Hz – 40kHz
  • Sensitivity: 98dB @ 1kHz, 1mW
  • 26AWG UPOCC Litz Copper Cable, Handcrafted by Effect Audio

DESIGNER'S NOTES

“Pairing a single W9 subwoofer with a balanced armature counterpart, Empire Ears sets the tone for achieving perfect coherency between the best of both worlds: the naturalness of dynamic driven bass, complemented with the clarity and precision up top of a well-placed balanced armature. Designed for perfect neutrality, the Bravado's signature is intent on equality, providing perfect balance between the bass, midrange, and treble. Its entry-level position might be deceiving, for when it comes to performance the Bravado boldly holds its own; the precise imaging and separation one comes to expect from Empire Ears, yet at a friendlier cost.”

IMG_1299.jpg

One thing I love about Empire Ears is that the unboxing experience always feels special whether you've purchased their entry level Bravado ($599 original retail) or their flagship Odin. Between their awesome customer service, the wide appeal of their varied lineup and their typical Effect Audio premium cable pairings, these products deliver. Another L shaped tuning, the Bravado's are genuine bass cannons. They have a bit of slow decay which gives an incredible sense of space in certain recordings. Mids and highs are somewhat recessed but remain detailed and engaging. They are more than capable of creating that subwoofer sound that some modern tracks call for but also pair well with classic rock and other genres- acoustic guitars have a textured and shimmering quality that reminds me somewhat of the HD6XX. On John Mayer Trio's live recording of the slow blues jam "Out of My Mind" Pino Palladino's plodding bass guitar line is crystal clear and contrasts nicely with the crisp snap of Steve Jordan's snare drum. By the time Mayer is playing his lengthy guitar solo Bravado's easy going treble prevents any fatigue or harshness while allowing a fair amount of instrumental detail. The soundstage has good width and depth in fairly equal measure. In summary, I'm a big fan of the Bravado and I feel that it offers an excellent value- even more so once it went on sale with the release of the MKII. Compared to other IEM's in my collection the Bravado lacks the detail, separation and imaging of more expensive models. All the same, it was a nice upgrade when first purchased and also got me hooked on L shaped tunings.

64 Audio Nio

This was my first purchase from 64 Audio. I was drawn in by the reputation of the manufacturer, the versatility of the Apex modules and naturally, the amazing abalone faceplates:

nio.jpg

From the 64 Audio website:

SPECIFICATIONS​

Driver Type/CountEight precision balanced armature drivers and one dynamic driver
Driver Configuration1 tia high, 1 high-mid, 6 mid, 1 dynamic low
Frequency Response10Hz – 20kHz
Sensitivity105db dB/mW
Impedance6Ω @1kHz
CrossoverIntegrated 4-way passive crossover
Isolation-10db w/ mX module, -15dB w/ m15 module, -20dB w/ m20 module

DESIGNER'S NOTES

"64 Audio's first high driver-count hybrid, Nio is a universal-fit earphone featuring a 9mm dynamic driver and a striking blue-abalone faceplate. With a sound signature characterized by extended lows and a rich 3-dimensional soundstage, Nio’s smooth treble and natural warmth will provide hours of enjoyable listening for all genres of music."

At a retail price of $1699 These were a major step up for me. I found the M20 module to cause bass bloat, and I found the MX module to be a much more reference style tuning. The latter is not something I personally enjoy but it certainly makes Nio one of the most versatile options in my lineup. I found the M15 module to be the sweet spot for my tastes. This module places the Nio as our third L shaped signature- one reason I feel it belongs with the rest of the group despite their varying costs. Unlike the Mammoth and Bravado, however, the Nio really takes detail and soundstage to the next level. Some have described the Nio as dark (but not veiled). I certainly wouldn't call it bright by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it to sound very natural and immersive. While the bass is very solid and present, it doesn't slam and rumble like Mammoth and Bravado but offers bass texture previously unreached in my personal audio journey. What I love about the Nio is its laid back presentation and softer treble. Listening to Lou Rawls' "Bring It On Home," one of my favorite bass lines, one effortlessly enjoys James Jamerson hammering out the funk on his bass guitar, but without the spirited brass section causing any harshness or listening fatigue. It has solid technicalities and 64 Audio's technology for releasing air pressure from the shell is the real deal when it comes to preventing fatigue. Along with Nio's small size and excellent design I can listen to these longer than any other IEM in my collection. While there's nothing these do poorly, they also don't seem to win first place in any category. They are a significant investment and while I enjoy them greatly they aren't anywhere near the best value on the list.

Unique Melody MEST

From the manufacturer:

Frequency response range: 20Hz-55KHz
Sensitivity: @1KHz 118dB
Impedance: 14Ω
Driver Count: 8
Crossover: 5-way crossover system
Driver Configuration: 1Dynamic low+2BA Mid high+2BA High+2EST Ultra high+1Bone Conduction

No pictures or introduction needed, right? Most people reading this will be familiar with MEST and there's not much for me to say about them that hasn't already been said. Although they originally retailed around $1700 I purchased mine at $1400 and was blown away. With the exception of my old AKG N40's (a mid tier hybrid set tuned to the Harmon target)and some CA Andromeda 2020's I had already sold, MEST was my first set that I didn't consider a basshead choice, and also my first set over the kilobuck mark. I would not be exaggerating to describe their sound as jawdropping my first few listening sessions. So if they aren't widely considered basshead IEM's, why have I included them in this shootout? Because- anyone who loves bass will love MEST. Bass takes a very slight edge in this W shaped signature (also a first for me at the time of purchase). It is not the quantity of the bass that makes the MEST a winner for me, although the quantity is adequate for all but the most militant bass lovers. It is the bass quality of its 10mm dynamic driver that has the power to astound. Nevermind that the remaining frequencies were tuned in such a way to reveal previously unheard details in some of my favorite songs. That bass.......listening to the subtle and surgical pluckings of the bass guitar in Dusty Springfield's classic "Son of Preacher Man" on MEST is like being cut from head to toe with a bass laser. Pairing these with the Cayin N3Pro in triode tube mode made the hair stand up on my arms. In short, MEST has the technicalities and otherwise uncanny ability to make you question the price of other high end IEM's. With the release of the MEST MKII these have become an even greater value- at the time of writing they are on sale at MusicTeck for $999. Look, I don't have the collection or the knowledge to rival some of the better known members of the audiophile community- but if you have to sell your dog to buy these while you can, I would at least seriously consider it.

Empire Ears Legend X Special Edition

I have read reviews on the EE Legend X for over a year. I planned a trip to CanJam to audition some of these warlocks and considered buying custom versions. Retailing at $2400 this was quite a jump for me which involved a long period of saving money and an obligation toward certainty in my purchase. CanJam was cancelled so I sat on my money and watched longingly from a distance. And then came the announcement of the Legend X SE- only 50 units made worldwide in this release. Virtually the only negative thing I've read about the Legend X is Crinnacle perceiving the bass as poorly controlled. So what differentiates the Legend X from the SE? According to the designer's notes on MoonAudio, "Originally a Hong Kong exclusive, this Legend X Special edition comes replete with a brushed silver faceplate and a storm colored shell and upgraded internal wiring from Effect Audio. The sound signature is still very much a Legend X, but with slightly more present mids and cleaner bass."

Well I still haven't heard the original, but mids are good, right? And MEST taught me that while bass quantity is good, bass quantity combined with quality is glorious, right? So clean bass doesn't sound so bad. And then I saw the pictures......the translucent shells, the brushed silver faceplate. It was all more than I could resist. Feast your eyes:

lxse_1.jpg

lxse_2.jpg

Technical Features​

Driver Design- 7 Proprietary Drivers, Hybrid Design
2 W9 Subwoofers, 2 Mid, 1 Mid-High, 1 High, 1 Super High
10-Way synX Crossover System
A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology
Impedance: 14 ohms @ 1kHz
Frequency Response- 5 Hz - 40kHz
Sensitivity- 102dB @ 1kHz, 1mW
Cable26AWG UPOCC Litz Copper
Handcrafted by Effect Audio

My pictures don't do the faceplates justice- but in fairness, neither do the pictures from the manufacturer. Enough about the aesthetics though, on to the important stuff. Where to start? On one hand mine were $2399 with a 2.5mm balanced Alpha cable. On the other hand it took me less than an hour to decide it was worth it, as I listened to the acid-driven percussion duel of The Allman Brothers Band's "Whipping Post." Other vendors offered the LX SE at $2599 with Effect Audio's Cleopatra cable included. I was pleased to find upon first listen another W Shaped signature, and even more pleased to hear the sound of Empire Ears' W9 subwoofers which first caught my interest in the Bravado. The LX SE has a dedicated subwoofer for both subbass and midbass and remains true to the tenacious reputation of the OG Legend X bass as far as impact, detail, and texture from what I can tell. Other's report more rumble in the OG LX. The treble extends well and has a tiny bit of sparkle amid lots of detail. The mids are very much placed at the forefront of things which likewise presents the listener with tons of detail and resolution. The bass is tight, controlled, but powerful and prominent in the tuning. Much like the MEST, nothing is left out- it's only a matter of great and even more great when you try to decide what the LX SE do well. How they have managed to produce such incredible bass without detracting from the other frequencies or the technicalities is a mystery to me. Soundstage is very wide for an IEM but also much deeper than all but perhaps the MEST. Imaging is on par with MEST as well. As all of Empire Ear's universal IEM's seem to share the same shell design, these are just barely large for my ears just like the Bravado. As long as I choose the right tips I don't have issues or notice discomfort until well over an hour of listening. And that's literally the only thing I can count against these. MEST is a slightly brighter presentation with less natural mids, but if you can imagine the tuning and technicalities of MEST coupled with the wallop of dual EE subwoofers, you're pretty close to understanding what the Legend X SE have to offer. Seriously gang, I think I'm done with the endless search for ever more expensive upgrades. Regardless of the price tag I have no regrets.... and Crinnicle- if you're out there- you need to hear these, dawg. Without further delay, here are my final rankings based on what makes the music its most enjoyable for me.

1. Empire Ears Legend X SE. Forget Harmon- EE tuned these to the bgpolyhistor target. It was preordained that I would find the ultimate bass lover's fix with these
2. MEST- A refreshing addition to the bass cannons but also a new standard of clean, precise bass and high end value
3. 64 Audio Nio- Premium inside and out but less exciting and revealing than LX SE and MEST. Very laid back and smooth sound- if you're sensitive to higher frequencies, check these out.
4. Empire Ears Bravado- Powerful bass and tasteful L-shaped tuning. Forever grateful that they sold me on Empire Ears
5. Campfire Audio Mammoth- similar in price to Bravado with impressive bass- but mids and treble are too far recessed and unnatural at this price point.

I hope this post is enjoyed by other IEM enthusiasts. I welcome your comments and feedback- also your favorite basshead IEM's and how they rank in your collection. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello everyone! I've been growing my collection of IEM's over the past year or so and wanted to share some thoughts and opinions. Just for a bit of a background- I'm not a professional. I am an amateur musician and lover of music. I do prefer musical signatures over flat/analytical models, and I appreciate bass in particular- I've made all of my purchases with this in mind. I lack the expertise to crank out multiple in-depth reviews but at this point I've heard enough to offer basic impressions to other enthusiasts as far as basshead IEM/s go. I'm in an area with no hi-fi retail stores- all of the IEM's I'm about to share my thoughts on were purchased online without auditioning. I have not been loaned any units or asked by manufacturers to share reviews. My sincere motivation for posting is the understanding that many audiophiles are dependent on the thoughts and descriptions of others to guide their purchases.

Without further delay, here's the current lineup I'm enjoying:

stable.jpg

I'll be describing and ranking the following:

64 Audio Nio, Unique Melody MEST, Campfire Audio Mammoth, Empire Ears Bravado (OG), and finally the Empire Ears Legend X Special Edition. I alternate between the following tips: Symbio W (silicone/foam hybrid), SednaEarFit Xelastics, Spinfit CP 100's, and Comply foam comfort tips. I generally end up favoring the Xelastics across all models.

My primary sources are a Klipsch Heritage desktop DAC/Amp and an iBasso DX300. The majority of songs were FLAC, and played through JRiver Media- others are streamed from Amazon HD Music or Spotify. I am using stock cables- in the case of the two Empire Ears models a 2.5mm balanced termination and a 3.5mm single ended termination on the remaining units. Here's a base playlist I'm going through with each set:

We Used To Know - Jethro Tull
Whipping Post (Studio Version) - Allman Brothers Band
Blue Sky - Allman Brother's Band
What Can I Say - Brandi Carlisle
Thursday - Jim Croce
I Got a Name (Stereo Version) - Jim Croce
Malibu Man- Dan Auerbach
Quick Musical Doodles - Two Feet
Cradles - Sub Urban
White Satin - Zeds Dead Remix

Campfire Audio Mammoth

Starting with the most recent release we have the Campfire Audio Mammoth. Please note that I have around 20 hours of burn in completed on the Mammoths at the time of writing, whereas Campfire Audio recommends around 150 hours of burn in. Make of that what you will- if my impressions change after further burn in I will update them accordingly. From the Campfire Audio Website:

Specifications​

5Hz–20 kHz Frequency Response

94 dB SPL @ 1kHz: 18.16 mVrms

8.1 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance

Features​

Machined Aluminum Body

‘Frozen Tundra’ Anodized Finish

Single Custom Balanced Armature (High)

Single Custom Balanced Armature (Mid)

Single Custom 10mm Bio-Cellulose Diaphragm Dynamic Driver

Custom Beryllium / Copper MMCX Connections

Black PVD Finished Stainless Steel Spout

‘Smoky Glow’ Silver Plated Copper Litz Cable – 3.5mm Stereo to MMCX connectors

ca-mammoth.jpg

As you can see these are pretty sharp looking. As with all Campfire Audio products, I love the aesthetic, packaging and cable included with Mammoth- I also felt like the glow-in-the-dark cable connections were both unique and practical. Below is a picture from the unboxing:

mammoth_2.jpg

Within seconds of first hearing the Mammoth one notices that it is bass dominant. Bass is large and in charge, with nice texture and a good mix of speed and quantity. Mids and treble come through at a very similar volume to my ear and are rather dramatically recessed compared to the lows. Their soundstage is of average width for an IEM, however on the synthesized drop around the 57 second mark in "White Satin" gave me very little sense of depth. On the other sets mentioned today, the sound seems to drip down your ears from top to bottom. These performed better on modern music- although they seem to have boosted midbass over subbass they were at their best on tracks like "Quick Musical Doodles" by Two Feet and "Cradles" by Sub Urban- my default test tracks for bass slam and rumble. Unfortunately, I found mids and highs to be lacking given the price point. Compared to the rest of my collection, I would note two shortcomings based on my preferences: Firstly, that everything other than bass sounds a bit too recessed- to the extent where you miss a lot on busy tracks. Secondly, that female vocals and some instruments- really anything other than the bass- sound nasally to me. It's a hazy, "tubey" sort of sound I also noticed when I owned the CA Polaris II, my first audiophile IEM. Maybe it's the Campfire Audio "house sound," maybe its the elevated midbass, or maybe I'm mistaken.

Considering that these were only released a few days ago, there has already been much speculation that Mammoth would be a Polaris version 3. I sold my Polaris II's last year but as they were my first significant audio investment I remember them well enough. I don't consider the Mammoth to be a Polaris remake. Both models had bombastic bass and were at the same price point, but the Polaris II had intense and at times harsh treble, and even more bass impact and quantity than the Mammoths. Whereas the Polaris II was a very aggressive V-shaped signature, the Mammoth is L-shaped and was perhaps a step back as far as mids go- definitely a step back in treble quality. Whereas the Polaris was deliberately bold the Mammoth is a much safer but somehow less fulfilling tuning in my opinion, despite the Polaris II's imperfections. I actually prefer L shaped signatures- this one is not the best executed I've heard.

In summary, there's a lot to love about Mammoth: The look, the build quality, the premium packaging, or the awesome bass. They are also not tip dependent, which I consider a plus. Unfortunately sound wise the powerful and articulate bass isn't enough to make up for the unnatural sounding middle and high frequencies. I haven't posted a review yet because I've only had Mammoth for a few days- not enough time to use extensively or to burn in per manufacturer recommendations. I still felt they were worth including in the lineup and as with any impression, my opinion may not align with yours. Personally, I expected more given the retail price of $549.

Empire Ears Bravado

Next we have the Empire Ears Bravado. On one hand, this may be a silly time to bring attention to the Bravado's with the recent release of the Bravado MKII. On the other hand, the MKII led to a price drop on the OG Bravado and I can personally confirm that the original Bravado's still deserve your respect. From the manufacturer web page:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
2 Proprietary Drivers, Hybrid Design

1 W9 Subwoofer, 1 Mid-High

4-Way synX Crossover System

A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology

26AWG UPOCC Litz Copper Cable, Handcrafted by Effect Audio

DESIGNER'S NOTES

“Pairing a single W9 subwoofer with a balanced armature counterpart, Empire Ears sets the tone for achieving perfect coherency between the best of both worlds: the naturalness of dynamic driven bass, complemented with the clarity and precision up top of a well-placed balanced armature. Designed for perfect neutrality, the Bravado's signature is intent on equality, providing perfect balance between the bass, midrange, and treble. Its entry-level position might be deceiving, for when it comes to performance the Bravado boldly holds its own; the precise imaging and separation one comes to expect from Empire Ears, yet at a friendlier cost.”

IMG_1299.jpg

One thing I love about Empire Ears is that the unboxing experience always feels special whether you've purchased their entry level Bravado ($599 original retail) or their flagship Odin. Between their awesome customer service, the wide appeal of their varied lineup and their typical Effect Audio premium cable pairings, these products deliver. Another L shaped tuning, the Bravado's are genuine bass cannons. They have a bit of a delay which gives an incredible sense of space in certain recordings. Mids and highs are somewhat recessed but remain detailed and engaging. They are more than capable of creating that subwoofer sound that some modern tracks call for but also pair well with classic rock and other genres- acoustic guitars have a textured and shimmering quality that reminds me somewhat of the HD6XX. On John Mayer Trio's live recording of the slow blues jam "Out of My Mind" Pino Palladino's plodding bass guitar line is crystal clear and contrasts nicely with the crisp snap of Steve Jordan's snare drum. By the time Mayer is playing his lengthy guitar solo Bravado's easy going treble prevents any fatigue or harshness while allowing a fair amount of instrumental detail. The soundstage has good width and depth in fairly equal measure. In summary, I'm a big fan of the Bravado and I feel that it offers an excellent value- even more so once it went on sale with the release of the MKII. Compared to other IEM's in my collection the Bravado lacks the detail, separation and imaging of more expensive models. All the same, it was a nice upgrade when first purchased and also got me hooked on L shaped tunings.

64 Audio Nio

This was my first purchase from 64 Audio. I was drawn in by the reputation of the manufacturer, the versatility of the Apex modules and naturally, the amazing abalone faceplates:

nio.jpg

From the 64 Audio website:

SPECIFICATIONS​

Driver Type/CountEight precision balanced armature drivers and one dynamic driver
Driver Configuration1 tia high, 1 high-mid, 6 mid, 1 dynamic low
Frequency Response10Hz – 20kHz
Sensitivity105db dB/mW
Impedance6Ω @1kHz
CrossoverIntegrated 4-way passive crossover
Isolation-10db w/ mX module, -15dB w/ m15 module, -20dB w/ m20 module

DESIGNER'S NOTES

"64 Audio's first high driver-count hybrid, Nio is a universal-fit earphone featuring a 9mm dynamic driver and a striking blue-abalone faceplate. With a sound signature characterized by extended lows and a rich 3-dimensional soundstage, Nio’s smooth treble and natural warmth will provide hours of enjoyable listening for all genres of music."

At a retail price of $1699 These were a major step up for me. I found the M20 module to cause bass bloat, and I found the MX module to be a much more reference style tuning. The latter is not something I personally enjoy but it certainly makes Nio one of the most versatile options in my lineup. I found the M15 module to be the sweet spot for my tastes. This module places the Nio as our third L shaped signature- one reason I feel it belongs with the rest of the group despite their varying costs. Unlike the Mammoth and Bravado, however, the Nio really takes detail and soundstage to the next level. Some have described the Nio as dark (but not veiled). I certainly wouldn't call it bright by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it to sound very natural and immersive. While the bass is very solid and present, it doesn't slam and rumble like Mammoth and Bravado but offers bass texture previously unreached in my personal audio journey. What I love about the Nio is its laid back presentation and softer treble. Listening to Lou Rawls' "Bring It On Home," one of my favorite bass lines, one effortlessly enjoys James Jamerson hammering out the funk on his bass guitar, but without the spirited brass section causing any harshness or listening fatigue. It has solid technicalities and 64 Audio's technology for releasing air pressure from the shell is the real deal when it comes to preventing fatigue. Along with Nio's small size and excellent design I can listen to these longer than any other IEM in my collection. While there's nothing these do poorly, they also don't seem to win first place in any category. They are a significant investment and while I enjoy them greatly they aren't anywhere near the best value on the list.

Unique Melody MEST

From the manufacturer:

Frequency response range: 20Hz-55KHz
Sensitivity: @1KHz 118dB
Impedance: 14Ω
Driver Count: 8
Crossover: 5-way crossover system
Driver Configuration: 1Dynamic low+2BA Mid high+2BA High+2EST Ultra high+1Bone Conduction

No pictures or introduction needed, right? Most people reading this will be familiar with MEST and there's not much for me to say about them that hasn't already been said. Although they originally retailed around $1700 I purchased mine at $1400 and was blown away. With the exception of my old AKG N40's (a mid tier hybrid set tuned to the Harmon target)and some CA Andromeda 2020's I had already sold, MEST was my first set that I didn't consider a basshead choice, and also my first set over the kilobuck mark. I would not be exaggerating to describe their sound as jawdropping my first few listening sessions. So if they aren't widely considered basshead IEM's, why have I included them in this shootout? Because- anyone who loves bass will love MEST. Bass takes a very slight edge in this W shaped signature (also a first for me at the time of purchase). It is not the quantity of the bass that makes the MEST a winner for me, although the quantity is adequate for all but the most militant bass lovers. It is the bass qualityof its 10mm dynamic driver that has the power to astound. Nevermind that the remaining frequencies were tuned in such a way to reveal previously unheard details in some of my favorite songs. That bass.......listening to the subtle and surgical pluckings of the bass guitar in Dusty Springfield's classic "Son of Preacher Man" on MEST is like being cut from head to toe with a bass laser. Pairing these with the Cayin N3Pro in triode tube mode made the hair stand up on my arms. In short, MEST has the technicalities and otherwise uncanny ability to make you question the price of other high end IEM's. With the release of the MEST MKII these have become an even greater value- at the time of writing they are on sale at MusicTeck for $999. Look, I don't have the collection or the knowledge to rival some of the better known members of the audiophile community- but if you have to sell your dog to buy these while you can, I would at least seriously consider it.

Empire Ears Legend X Special Edition

I have read reviews on the EE Legend X longingly and for over a year. These were my planned endgame. I planned a trip to CanJam to audition some of these warlocks. Retailing at $2400 this was quite a jump for me which involved a long period of saving money and an obligation toward certainty in my purchase. CanJam was cancelled so I sat on my money and watched longingly from a distance. And then came the announcement of the Legend X SE- only 50 units made worldwide in this release. Virtually the only negative thing I've read about the Legend X is Crinnacle perceiving the bass as poorly controlled. So what differentiates the Legend X from the SE? According to the designer's notes on MoonAudio, "Originally a Hong Kong exclusive, this Legend X Special edition comes replete with a brushed silver faceplate and a storm colored shell and upgraded internal wiring from Effect Audio. The sound signature is still very much a Legend X, but with slightly more present mids and cleaner bass."

Well I still haven't heard the original, but mids are good, right? And MEST taught me that while bass quantity is good, bass quantity combined with quality is glorious, right? So clean bass doesn't sound so bad. And then I saw the pictures......the translucent shells, the brushed silver faceplate. It was all more than I could resist. Feast your eyes:

lxse_1.jpg
lxse_2.jpg

My pictures don't do the faceplates justice- but in fairness, neither do the pictures from the manufacturer. Enough about the aesthetics though, on to the important stuff. Where to start? On one hand mine were $2399 with a 2.5mm balanced Alpha cable. On the other hand it took me less than an hour to decide it was worth it, as I listened to the acid-driven percussion duel of The Allman Brother's Band's "Whipping Post." Other vendors offered the LX SE at $2599 with Effect Audio's Cleopatra cable included. I was pleased to find upon first listen another W Shaped signature, and even more pleased to hear the sound of Empire Ears' W9 subwoofers which first caught my interest in the Bravado. The LX SE has a dedicated subwoofer for both subbass and midbass and remains true to the tenacious reputation of the OG Legend X bass as far as impact, detail, and texture from what I can tell. Other's report more rumble in the OG LX. The treble extends well and has a tiny bit of sparkle amid lots of detail. The mids are very much placed at the forefront of things which likewise presents the listener with tons of detail and resolution. The bass is tight, controlled, but powerful and prominent in the tuning. Much like the MEST, nothing is left out- it's only a matter of great and even more great when you try to decide what the LX SE do well. How they have managed to produce such incredible bass without detracting from the other frequencies or the technicalities is a mystery to me. Soundstage is very wide for an IEM but also much deeper than all but perhaps the MEST. Imaging is on par with MEST as well. As all of Empire Ear's universal IEM's seem to share the same shell design, these are just barely large for my ears just like the Bravado. As long as I choose the right tips I don't have issues or notice discomfort until well over an hour of listening. And that's literally the only thing I can count against these. MEST is a slightly brighter presentation with less natural mids, but if you can imagine the tuning and technicalities of MEST coupled with the wallop of dual EE subwoofers, you're pretty close to understanding what the Legend X SE have to offer. Seriously gang, I think I'm done with the endless search for ever more expensive upgrades. Regardless of the price tag I have no regrets.... and Crinnicle- if you're out there- you need to hear these, dawg. Without further delay, here are my final rankings based on what makes the music its most enjoyable for me.

1. Empire Ears Legend X SE. Forget Harmon- EE tuned these to the bgpolyhistor target. It was preordained that I would find the ultimate bass lover's fix with these
2. MEST- A refreshing addition to the bass cannons but also a new standard of clean, precise bass and high end value
3. 64 Audio Nio- Premium inside and out but less exciting and revealing than LX SE and MEST. Very laid back and smooth sound- if you're sensitive to higher frequencies, check these out.
4. Empire Ears Bravado- Powerful bass and tasteful L-shaped tuning. Forever grateful that they sold me on Empire Ears
5. Campfire Audio Mammoth- similar in price to Bravado with impressive bass- but mids and treble are too far recessed and unnatural at this price point.

I hope this post is enjoyed by other IEM enthusiasts. I welcome your comments and feedback- also your favorite basshead IEM's and how they rank in your collection. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.
Nice job!

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Great comparison! As a happy owner of EE Legend X I am very happy with your ranking.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Great write up and great gear! Hope to demo the Legend X someday.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Great comparison! As a happy owner of EE Legend X I am very happy with your ranking.
It wasn’t a hard decision based on my tastes, or at least not when I could directly compare them all side by side. I will say the MEST and Nio are really close- could have been a tie, and I paid the same amount for both.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 9
It wasn’t a hard decision based on my tastes, or at least not when I could directly compare them all side by side. I will say the MEST and Nio are really close- could have been a tie, and I paid the same amount for both.
I do not know Nio and Mest, I hope to be able to listen to them sooner or later. I can say that the bass of the Tia Trio 'is very nice, impactful and fast. The Legend x are still my favorites for me today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back