Bass, single cable, closed: what headphone to get?
Jul 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

leokennis

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I am looking for a new full sized headphone and am looking for suggestions.

Necessary:
  1. I like "thumping" bass, I for example like the Denon D2000 but it has "flubby" bass. The ATH-ES7 has better bass, but it could be even punchier :)
  2. It should be suitable for outside use. So preferably a plastic headphone with a reasonably sturdy build.

What would be nice:
  1. A single cable to the left or right earcup instead of two.
  2. Closed, so as not to bother others when on a commute for example.
  3. Amp not absolutely necessary. I have a Vivid V1 amp for home use, but my iPod classic should be able to power it.

My price range is pretty flexible, but I'm not looking for something exotic so preferably under $250.

Full size headphones I have (had) and liked: ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD485, Denon D2000.
Full size headphones I had and disliked: Grado SR60.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 6
wasn't there a sale on the Ultrasone 650's a little while ago? You could definitely try those out or re-visit the m50's.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 6
If you want headphones with bass that is strong down to the sublevels, closed headphones are way to go usually.

I really like Ultrasone Proline 750 / PRO750 bass. It is strong and it goes insanely deep, yet it is surprisingly defined. Not tightest out there, but really good. Probaply because it doesnt pronounce mid-upper bass much unlike DT770 Pro and such do. Too bad rest of the sound has some problems, midrange is bit hollow and treble is bit bright. Not unbearable and not spiky, just bright. Comfort is also bit bad for bigger ears. But overall I like this headphone.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I would suggest getting a darth beyer version 4 or 5 or any of the darth beyer deeps. Fixes some of the problems of the 770 and they have a lot more bass. They are sold used  on these forums all the time at decent prices.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm not sure if the Sennheiser HD 25-I II count as full sized (I don't think they do), but they tick some of your boxes (price range, single cable, closed). They're robust, very well made and the bass is probably the best I've ever heard from headphones; not over the top but solid and well defined (hopefully these descriptions are correct, I'm new to this). I've not heard the D2000 or ATH-ES7 to compare.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi! A small update. I went looking for the Ultrasone Proline 750, but found it a little too expensive. I'm now rocking the Ultrasone HFI-780 and loving them! I'm nearly drowning in their sound. Knowing with burn in their bass will get deeper and more defined is an excellent prospect so I'm very happy with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back