Bass on the HFI-780 just a wide spread rumor or what?
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

boy2671

Head-Fier
Hi,
I recently bought the HFI-780s from an ebayer who says that he bought it from a headfier and was burned in for about 10 hours. I know thats not near the recommended burn in time for these headphones but I heard that these headphones are really bassy out of the box, but to me there seems to be a lack of bass. I am running these unamped but I heard that these wouldn't need to be hooked to an amp to run good. Should I just hope the burn in brings more bass or should I just buy an amp? preferably a cheap one. Or if someone has an explanation that would be great.
Thanks

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 31
I feel you. I bought M50 and they say it's a basshead phone too. Surprisingly, it doesnt sound bass heavy at all. Warm, yes. Bass cans, no. And i'm not a bass head (i guess so, since i cant stand the bass of IE8 and UM2)

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 31
Right? People say that HFI-780 was bass heavy but from what I am hearing I feel as if there is barely any bass, the only thing I can clarify is that the highs on these headphones are very very sharp and is somewhat fatiguing. I'll probably give these headphones a week and if there is still no solution or if they don't produce the bass I want with the "burn in" then I'm most likely going to sell them. Haha.... Any suggestions for some bassy headphones anyone that reads this?

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 31
mmm never heard of the Sony XB700 first time i saw it being mentioned actually. I did start having an interest in headphones about 2 months ago so its not a surprise that i hadn't heard about much headphones. Anyone mind giving some impressions on the Sony XB700?

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 31
Search function is just at the top of this page :)

But anyway,
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/395231/sony-mdr-xb700-headphones-any-reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472371/sony-mdr-xb700-impression

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 31
Yes that is true but I want some people to feel happy that they helped someone today. So I say thank you. One thank you can make even the worst days better
normal_smile .gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 31
Doesnt sound bloated to me but overall warm sound. Bass doesnt go firing all the time but do sound a bit loss; lacking tightness and definition. Midrange a bit distance but i wont consider it veiled or blurry at all. Mine still burn-in, close to 60 hours mark.

P.S: Run un-amped through eeePC 701, 5800XM and Nano 3G via foobar.

Quote:
Are they bass bloated? I heard that the bass is as much, that you cant hear the midrange. 

LOL
Quote:
Yes that is true but I want some people to feel happy that they helped someone today. So I say thank you. One thank you can make even the worst days better
normal_smile .gif

And i had to add, listening to Da Vinci Code OST by Hans Zimmer is breathtaking on M50.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
Doesnt sound bloated to me but overall warm sound. Bass doesnt go firing all the time but do sound a bit loss; lacking tightness and definition. Midrange a bit distance but i wont consider it veiled or blurry at all. Mine still burn-in, close to 60 hours mark.

Oh, i didnt know that you own them! But still, it remains my impressions on them....just wait till i have them. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back