Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #362 of 621
Quote:
I just did some testing with the XB700 with no amp, with a not so powerful amp (the D10), and a powerful amp, the Marantz. 

I have come to the conclusion that the XB700 is indeed quite sensitive to amping. This makes sense since bass is the first thing to go when you don't have enough juice. The difference between ampless and the Marantz is like night and day, the Marantz makes the bass so full and powerufl at the same volume level. To get to the same volume level you'd have to raise the volume on the DAP to treble ear-splitting levels, and the bass is muddy to boot. 

It does seem like the way to listen to the XB700 is through a beefy amp and at low listening levels -- which coincidentally is how I listen to them anyhow.

Using the Cobra, the bass improves a smidgen but I still miss the really deep, powerful extension a bigger amp like the MP5 or the Marantz provides.

Cool.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to do some more testing on my end to try and confirm this for sure, but it looks like the hypothesis is solidifying.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #363 of 621
I did a little more testing with between my different amps and have come to the conclusion the the XB700s definitely need MOAR POWER!

I like them on my Indeed G2 hybrid the best, followed by my Maverick D1, and then Bithead.  They don't sound very good straight out of my D2+ at all, which I hadn't actually tried before.  With out any current behind it, the bass loses most of its impact and definition, becoming rather boomy.  I don't know how much more it may tighten up, but more power can't be a bad thing can it?

I wonder how these would sound on balanced on a b22, or other similarly powerful HP amp.  They are rated at 3 watts after all.  If I manage to find one at a meet, I'll report back.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #364 of 621
how about if i could only spend 150 dollars?
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #365 of 621
I'd probably say the ATH M50s or used Beyer DT770 Pro 80s unless you've got an old school reciever to power the XB700/XB500.  Maybe the HFI 580s if your source has a good EQ.

I'm assuming the 500s need as much current as the 700s but I don't know for sure.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #367 of 621
After reading this thread, the Ultrasones sound like their the ones for me, but I'll just be using my iPod touch and computer to listen with (computer has no designated soundcard other than what came installed with it) and I wanted to get a portable amp with it too because i hear  lot of people say these specifically need more power than just an iPod. The FiiO E5 looks really small, is cheap, and seams to be just what i need, but iv heard that it's not too great (its small and cheap, so wouldnt be surprised) but I wanted to know if it would be sufficient for someone who doesnt need THE BEST just so i get a fuller, cleaner sound?

I guess this could have gone in the "amps" section, but im getting these headphones, so i figured it'd be ok:)

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #368 of 621

Quote:
I'm assuming the 500s need as much current as the 700s but I don't know for sure.

They don't, XB500 is like among the easiest headphone to drive in my experience, the pure output volume you get speaks for it, it goes significantly louder than XB700. Bass is punchy and big without amp too, well bigger than that of any other headphones I'd say, yet it does a great job at providing clean audible mids.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #369 of 621
well the xb700 is easy to drive and can be listen without an amp, but like most headphones, amp will make it sound better. You can listen to the xb700 without an amp and still sounds clear and everything is present, but the bass is not as good until you pump the volume up to get the full effect of the bass. I went to best buy today and test out a few cans and the xb500 was one of them that was attach to an ipod nano.  I wish I had access to attached it to my iphone 4 so I can test it better since I listen to the xb700 through my iphone 4 before (I have a pair of xb700). any how, I feel that the xb500 is more balance sounding.  The bass is punchy and big, but the xb700 is thunderous.  Big difference in bass production to me. I think it's depends on what kind of bass you are looking for. that being said, I also notice the treble on the xb700 is like what mochan was saying, ear spliting if the volume is up high enough.  Well, actually I can tolerate it, but I can see how others cannot. Of course, it is not safe to listen to it that way for extended time. I can say the xb500 treble doesn't behave that way and are more obedient and balanced. I can see why the xb700 does it that way though, I mean with that type of bass you have to boost stuff up or it'll get all drown out. I am surprise that the xb700 although produce that type of bass can still present the other areas pretty well.

It seems like based on what other are saying with an amp you can lower the volume and get the same impact as pumping the volume, except now everything is more control.  That seems to be the power of using an amp, they give it power to gain control of the sound quality.  I'm not 100% sure since I don't really own an amp yet, but from people response about amps that's what I understand.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this, but man I tried to like the beats solo, but I just can't. They seem to lack everything except for the bass and even then the bass is just okay. I listen to the beats studio and the bose and I can see why people like them, but not the solo hd. (just wanna share my experience at best buy). 

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #370 of 621
I felt the FiiO E5 were more of a hindrance. It's pretty bulky with rather minimal improvements in sound AND you have to buy an extra battery for that thing. If you want the best out of your portable headphones, I recommend you getting a Cowon or Samsung mp3 player with their magnificent EQing capabilities.

Portable amps can be great, but they are heavy and bothersome. A good player with an excellent EQ allows infinite sound adjustments w/ portability

Quote:
After reading this thread, the Ultrasones sound like their the ones for me, but I'll just be using my iPod touch and computer to listen with (computer has no designated soundcard other than what came installed with it) and I wanted to get a portable amp with it too because i hear  lot of people say these specifically need more power than just an iPod. The FiiO E5 looks really small, is cheap, and seams to be just what i need, but iv heard that it's not too great (its small and cheap, so wouldnt be surprised) but I wanted to know if it would be sufficient for someone who doesnt need THE BEST just so i get a fuller, cleaner sound?

I guess this could have gone in the "amps" section, but im getting these headphones, so i figured it'd be ok:)

Towards the XB700: Who here would think a tube amp would work well with them? The emphasized treble could be rolled down with the tubes. A powerful tube amp can deliver power in the low end, but I'm worried about possible congestion from the warmth of tubes.

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #371 of 621
Agreed FiiO E5 does almost nothing to improve sound (depending on source/headphone I think it produces either worse or slightly better results) and it doesn't strengthen the signal much either. Gary's PA2V2 that I have which is also very cheap is far stronger but for XB500 it didn't add any improvement, it colored the bass a bit (added some artificial "punch" to the already very punchy bass) and I didn't like the way it did it and I have better results tweaking EQ instead.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #372 of 621
Quote:

Towards the XB700: Who here would think a tube amp would work well with them? The emphasized treble could be rolled down with the tubes. A powerful tube amp can deliver power in the low end, but I'm worried about possible congestion from the warmth of tubes.

I like it best on my hybrid, which is probably the cheapest way to go.  You'd need a very strong transformer coupled tube amp (such as your Woo 6SE) if you wanted anything resembling accurate bass out of them though.  I could picture them sounding quite good out of one though.  That guy I linked to earlier hated them out of his LD MKIII, an OTL, and judging by the electrical specs, I'd probably agree with him.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #373 of 621
Ok, well at the moment, I'm using an ipod touch, and dont own an amp, but could see myself shelling $50 or $60 for a portable amp in a month or two. I'd really like to know if the 580's will produce lacking bass if only using my iPod touch? Or should i got with Denon's, MG50's, or the 780's? Even if i do purchase an amp, I wont be able to use it ALL of the time, and would like some decent bass when not in use as well.
So what headphones will give a punchy bass while only being powered by an iPod?

Quote:
Amping is not the problem. You need a good EQ boost. A good one from a player like Cowon or Samsung. Probably Sony. ionno. I have said before that it the greatest potential for bass impact with crisp details. Emphasis on POTENTIAL. It's not like it from nothing.

EDIT: Holy crap im getting mixed reviews on these things. Iv heard (only a very few) people say "OMG no bass!" and them most review sites say "almost too much bass". On even said,"Note to iPod listeners.... the HFI580 sounds pretty darn good connected to my iPod. I have to turn the volume up to about 80-90%. But the sound is full, deep and detailed, (all equalization turned off). Perhaps some of the best sound I've heard directly out of my iPod without an external headphone amp?"  Really, I just wantthese to be a hell of a lot more comfy than my s*** Sony       MDR-v700's, and have a hell of a lot more bass, unamped (although do hope to buy one eventually) straight from my iPod, will these do that?

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #374 of 621
Don't worry about an amp so much for the HFI 580. A portable amp won't do much.

First off, the HFI 580 has a lot of bass impact POTENTIAL. Meaning if you plug it into a good mp3 player with a top notch equalizer (not the traditional band equalizers, but the type that boosts bass like Cowon or Samsung) it will have a huge effect compared to if u plug the Audio Technica M50 into the same mp3 player. They can really shake while still sounding clear, at least compared to the other competitive basshead headphones.

The XB series may have more bass impact potential, but it would be going way overboard for me. The HFI can shake your head and the rest of the sound spectrum will still be rather detailed, but the XBs will sound muddy or overly lush. This could be due the huge sub bass response.

Honestly, I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of sub bass. I prefer mid bass punch. Sub bass tires me out and slows down headphones (i feel) causing the vocals and music to blend.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the HFI 580s are a bit "clampy." You never know how comfortable something is until u try it though.

Quote:
Ok, well at the moment, I'm using an ipod touch, and dont own an amp, but could see myself shelling $50 or $60 for a portable amp in a month or two. I'd really like to know if the 580's will produce lacking bass if only using my iPod touch? Or should i got with Denon's, MG50's, or the 780's? Even if i do purchase an amp, I wont be able to use it ALL of the time, and would like some decent bass when not in use as well.
So what headphones will give a punchy bass while only being powered by an iPod?

EDIT: Holy crap im getting mixed reviews on these things. Iv heard (only a very few) people say "OMG no bass!" and them most review sites say "almost too much bass". On even said,"Note to iPod listeners.... the HFI580 sounds pretty darn good connected to my iPod. I have to turn the volume up to about 80-90%. But the sound is full, deep and detailed, (all equalization turned off). Perhaps some of the best sound I've heard directly out of my iPod without an external headphone amp?"  Really, I just wantthese to be a hell of a lot more comfy than my s*** Sony       MDR-v700's, and have a hell of a lot more bass, unamped (although do hope to buy one eventually) straight from my iPod, will these do that?

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #375 of 621
wind016,

What is your opinion on a headphone that has good strong mid bass punch, the punchier the mid bass the better.  I guess something similiar to what the xb700 does with sub bass, but instead with mid bass. I would love to try something like that.

if not, can anyone answer this for me? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back