Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #76 of 621

Quote:

Please try out Ultrasone HFI 580.  They are what you describe. They have bass impact that rivals the Monster Beats Studios and Sony XB700s but with out the bass encroaching on the mids and highs of the other two. XB700s have even more head shaking bass impact but it is far too much even for a bass head. The bass is sloppy and runs all over. The 580s have really tight, impactful, and high quantity bass, but still maintains decent mids and highs.

I have to agree with this, before I bought my hfi-780 I auditioned the hfi-580 and I thought the sound was just perfect for my taste, they had great bass and the sound was so energetic and fun to listen to, and I'm probably a bigger bass freak than the OP. :p so I bought the hfi-780 thinking they will have the same bass with better sound quality, they did have better sound quality but I was a bit disappointed with the bass, but I still love the sound and I'm willing to buy an amplifier to drive them to their full potential. to the OP, the hfi-780 is about 70% of hfi-580's bass if driven by the same device. although from my experience, if you're using a normal player not an amplifier you better go for an iem, headphones need a lot of power to deliver the kind of bass you crave.

sorry for my bad english. :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #77 of 621
I'm thinking I should have gotten the hfi-580's instead of the hfi-780's then.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #78 of 621

Quote:
I'm thinking I should have gotten the hfi-580's instead of the hfi-780's then.

You may be happy after some EQing or some simple modding.  For instance, just take off the sticker on the back of the drivers that blocks vents.  Also, be forewarned of the weird burn-in.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #79 of 621

Quote:
You may be happy after some EQing or some simple modding.  For instance, just take off the sticker on the back of the drivers that blocks vents.  Also, be forewarned of the weird burn-in.

Does that bring the bass out more? Also, the highs do irritate, so I'm not using them as much as I would have (considering my dbi Pr0-700/705 acquisition) - will ths help? Or, do I need to put some felt inside the cup to soften the highs a bit?

Sorry for the off topic BTW.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #80 of 621
To TDS, 
You should definitely try rockboxing your Sansa Fuze V2. It is officially listed as "unstable," but I have had no major problems. Go to Rockbox.com and download the Fuze V2 installer. You will need the original firmware as well, but there is a link on Rockbox.com to the download. If you can't find the link, search google for "Sansa Fuze V2 Firmware download." It have the best EQ of almost any player, plays gapless, and supports all sorts of crazy, inventive, and useful features, such as games. In addition, the user interface is very intuitive, much more so than the original. The EQ finally gave me the nice bass I was looking for. It might work better for IEMs than headphones which require more power, but try it and see what you think. I hope this helps.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #81 of 621

Quote:
Does that bring the bass out more? Also, the highs do irritate, so I'm not using them as much as I would have (considering my dbi Pr0-700/705 acquisition) - will ths help? Or, do I need to put some felt inside the cup to soften the highs a bit?

Sorry for the off topic BTW.

The first thing I noticed when I did it was that they sounded much warmer and the lower bass was stronger.  How long have you burned them in for?  I have mine at 250+ hours now and the highs are just beautiful.  But I'm sure that dampening the driver with some felt would help tame everything and soften the highs.  I'm not done modding mine, but I'll try it when I get the time and supplies.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #82 of 621
XB700 owner since they first came out.

I cannot say enough good thing about them from the position of Basshead Yashu, now, from Audiophile Yashu, I can honestly say, that off just an E-MU 0202, they offer a relaxed full specrum of sound, where the bass never ends, and so relative to that, the mids and HF are going to seem recesssed at first, but not after about 20 minutes. You must understand what it means to be able to go flat freq. response curve with LF beyond the limits of "the head" that headroom uses to measure cans. YOu must also understand your ears do not touch the driver grille, and there is a cavety of air that pulsates like a crazy bass chamber of madness, but all the while somehow delivering midrange and high freq. sound, without distortion. That is the key point. 20hz and below flat, while not causing distortion on midrange and HF. The HF are rolled off a bit, but done deliberately, probably, because it is too clean... you would imagine listening fatigue, but there isnt any. Sony obviously did nt want harsh midrange or HF to cause fatigue, resulting in removing these guys from your dome.

I have DT770s, I have M50s, I have had v700DJs, and nothing has approached this level of depth. The thing is, it is worthy of  your money because this is acurate bass, not muddy, sludgy crap bose bass, not fake electric motor vibrator skullcandy "bass", this is one of Sony's best large drivers mounted with a very unique set of earpads, which are not just slip on, hey are screwed on with a retention ring. The phones themselves are well built for the money, they look interesting, and the only "flaky" type sony paddding (To Sony: you know what I am talking about, foam that peels off after a few years, stop using that stuff!) is on the inside diameter, as all outside surfaces on the padding, as well as the part that rests against the head is made with non flaking stuff. If you ever owned a pair of Sony pro 'phones you, may have replaced earpads a few times already.

The V700s use s similar driver, but they peak at a freq. to make DJ queuing easier, and it seems like a large quantity of bass, but it drops off fast after ~30hz-40hz

As of yet, there is nothing like the XB700s, could they be better? Sure! Most Sony products need something improved, the R10 may be excluded, and why it is worth so much, Sony only gets it right every time the stars align just right, but do they go beyond their price point? Yes. Are they able to accurately control this massive amount of bass? Yes. Do they take care and pay respect to the midrange and HF, yes yes yes... I actualy like the HF natural rolloff. Redbook digital, and of course, MP3s, I have my ears shreaded by most audiophile oriented cans without first running them through some EQ. Giant headphones, will my tiny portable drive them? Yes! To my best of knowledge, these are ble to offer more from  portable than almost any "headphone". IEMs might to something more with regards to this, but I can't turn my Sansa Fuse up all the way, no wau no how, entirely too loud. Despite what some say, actually owning these and having a wife, I can confirm their isolation to be quite good. Disturbingly good. You can be truly in bassland walking around in a grocery store or book shop and it is hard to shake that paranoia that you are forcing your music onto others, but it is not the case. Walk, smile, enjoy.

The cord is interesting in that it is a flat design to not get tangled, but it is short. I am always using an extension, so get a nice 3ft extension, or more if you think, and these are 1/8" plug without the usual screw on 1/4", Keep that in mind as well. With the right stuff, and some kind of amping, you will be in bassland heaven where the clouds go boom, but are clearly defined, and not so sharp as to hurt your thundering feet as you walk.

The Sony XB700s are my guilty pleasure, and as an audiophile first, headphile close second, I am not ashamed to say these are on the shelf with the DT880s, M50s, SR325s, DT770s, HD555(w/ mods)s, AKG Austrian Made K271Ss (non MKII), CAL!(w/ mods)s, v700(still zip tying and gluing the hinges&forks while I can, but getting harder)DJs, even Porta Pro 25th anniversary Ed. headphones known for their big bottom end.  I have other headphones, another AKG set and another Beyer set, Sony somethings..., but I put down what I generallly would use.  

Plenty of pro and consumer equpment, tubed and SS, and one Sansa Fuse.

The bass on the DT770s is way overstated, I think people just dislike the recessed mids, so they will sound sight boom tizzy, but overall, esp. with leather earpads, they are very good phones, but not designed to take you into bassland. The m50s are all about being accurate, efficient, and not fatiguing. They are wonderful headphones and the bass is tight, but I mean tight as in punchy, though, they they merely follow the source material. If you play boom car demo tracks on well amped m50s they can also blow your skull up scanners style. The XB700s will just be able to do it with a much less expensive setup, and the volume knob turned down farther, and the flying parts of your skull when it blows will certainly reach a greater radius. It's like a A-Bomb vs. an H-Bomb. for what it is worth, the job will be done by either, but one is going to leave a much larger crater where you once stood.

So.... you up for bass like that? Whomever said i was sloppy needs to check his source material, associated gear, and such... these control their quaking ability as well, and oten better than other highly regarded "basshead" cans. I can honestly say this because I have compared them to all sorts of 'phones. With an amp, I don't see where the bass could get sloppy unless it is in the music itself, which is often the case. Many artists forget what they cannot hear in their studios leading to an odd LF profile. Normally never  problem because we can't hear it either, but enter these headphones...  

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #83 of 621
Wow that was a long reply right there. xD

I just saw these babies have dropped lots in price over here (in Finland headphone prices compare to like US prices like 100€ = $100 :s), used to be in the 100 ~ 110€ range not long ago, now I can find them for 66.60 €. :p Maybe time to give em a shot to see what they are like and these are one of the ones I'd wanna try except for Denon D2000 or Ultrasones (a bit out of my budget).

Hope the Sony's have lots of deep bass because I like bass to be deep, I kinda hate very thumping upper bass. Ultimately I want bass to be felt, not heard. xD

What I'd really want is some ATH-M50 mids & highs packed with basstype of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro's bass though.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #84 of 621
Thanks for the write up Great Bass Master Yashu, I'm totally getting myself a set of these at soonest opportunity.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #85 of 621
what a great and interesting write up Yashu!!! I agree totally with you and I feel so better for owning both the M50, 7506 and XB700 ( have the XB 300 too and they are also good)..I also have UE EB which I like...

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #86 of 621
LOL Michaelbe, you truly belong to Team Bass!

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #88 of 621

Quote:
To TDS, 
You should definitely try rockboxing your Sansa Fuze V2. It is officially listed as "unstable," but I have had no major problems. Go to Rockbox.com and download the Fuze V2 installer. You will need the original firmware as well, but there is a link on Rockbox.com to the download. If you can't find the link, search google for "Sansa Fuze V2 Firmware download." It have the best EQ of almost any player, plays gapless, and supports all sorts of crazy, inventive, and useful features, such as games. In addition, the user interface is very intuitive, much more so than the original. The EQ finally gave me the nice bass I was looking for. It might work better for IEMs than headphones which require more power, but try it and see what you think. I hope this helps.

I have my 5.5G and Mini both Rockboxed - and I prefer the SQ of them to the Fuze - all I use is the Bass adjustment, and i widen the sound staging to 125% . Besides, even if I RB the Fuze I'll still not use it, but thanks for the suggestion.

As for the IEM suggestion, I can't really tolerate IEM's, so they're a no-no for me.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #89 of 621
66 Euros! That's a good deal... that is about less than half of what I paid for mine, well, maybe about half. Euro isn't exactly 1/1 is it? I thought it was more, anyway, 66 dollars, Euros whatever, good damn deal.

You get a big a ss ed bag that you can toss everything, your DAP, wallet, keys, cell, whatever in there, medicine, it is a big  bag for big phones.

They are a guilt pleasure. I am wearing them right now, actually, as they are the perfect set for powernoise EBM type stuff, like SITD, or the new Assemblage 23, Pelecan, etc... In some cases, with some music you can tell it was mixed on minimonitors without the LF excursion. My own productions suffered from this when I had been producing with the v700. That is why I know it steeply drops off, because if I am to listen on full range towers or headphones like the m50s, or the XB700s, I hear LF distortion I missed, in fact, never even registered.

Anyway, To keep good care of the earpads, I have used a rubber band, such as for the hair, and put it around the very base of where the earbads are coming out from the driver cup assembly. I find that this prevents the pad's collapse and keeps my ears from ever touching the grille inside. I get a tight seal just by putting them on, and a couple taps will let you know because you can feel the air pressure inside move the driver diaphram and your eardrum, heh. Tap lightly.

They aren't the best in the world, but I doubt anything goes this deep with such flat accuracy, or at least, within the price range of mortals. I look at the m50s as a closed can similar to the XB700s, just more refined, able to grow farther with your associated gear, a bit more punchy, and since they do have a more natural LF rolloff, the mids and HF sound quite natural (the organic nature of their sound is one of the reasons why they are so popular). I like them both, and am certainly keeping them. The fact that the xb700s, out of all my cans, can be driven with the least amount of current is a matter of physics. Huge driver, lots of air to move in a closed area... they are like inverse IEMs, except they go over the ear and have a huge driver. I know lots of people with a Sansa clip that love them, the m50s, and the Aurvana Live!s too, but the last one I said is a whole different thread. They are almost indenticle to the Denon 1001Ks, making them a good deal as well, but to get the bass impact of the m50s, you would have to mod them, then you lose a bit of the air and space the Denons are known for. It is just better to stick with what is designed for what, in general, and mod when you really truly aren't hurting for cash.

BOOM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back