Bass heavy open headphones?
Sep 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jc222284

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys just a quick question, Is there any bass heavy open HPs because usually when I see people recommending bass heavy HPs they are mainly closed.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 26
The Fischer Audio Fa-011s are open and are AMAZING. They have awesome bass with great impact, depth, and detail while not punishing the midrange much and having all the benefits of an open set of headphones such as soundstage.

I just got a pair of PRO 900s, which are considered absolute bass monsters. While FA-011s definitely have less bass, they can still compete in quantity, and to my ears have the slightly superior bass quality, though of that is preference on my part. They also have more mid bass than the Denon D2000s from what I hear.

I see you have a pair of M50s. The FA-011s have a very similar sound signature, fairly neutral with a bit of an emphasis on the low end. The difference is that the FA-011s are better in every way. The bass is greater in quantity and quality. The mid range is less recessed, and has much better detail and clarity. The high end also manages to be more detailed while not being hugely sibilant. In comparison the M50 sound muddy, veiled, and boring. I was astonished by just how much better they were than the M50s myself.

Do note that the FA-011s require an amp to sound their best, though even without an amp they still are superior to the M50s.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 26
Another vote for the Fischer Audio FA-011.

The Senn HD-650 also puts out a ridiculous amount of bass. They are a lot more expensive than the Fischer's though and I don't think they sound better. Just my 2 cents though.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
Hey guys just a quick question, Is there any bass heavy open HPs because usually when I see people recommending bass heavy HPs they are mainly closed.

Heya,

In order of cost:

Samson SR850
Fischer Audio FA-011
BeyerDynamic DT990 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650

Very best,

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
The Fischer Audio Fa-011s are open and are AMAZING. They have awesome bass with great impact, depth, and detail while not punishing the midrange much and having all the benefits of an open set of headphones such as soundstage.

I just got a pair of PRO 900s, which are considered absolute bass monsters. While FA-011s definitely have less bass, they can still compete in quantity, and to my ears have the slightly superior bass quality, though of that is preference on my part. They also have more mid bass than the Denon D2000s from what I hear.

I see you have a pair of M50s. The FA-011s have a very similar sound signature, fairly neutral with a bit of an emphasis on the low end. The difference is that the FA-011s are better in every way. The bass is greater in quantity and quality. The mid range is less recessed, and has much better detail and clarity. The high end also manages to be more detailed while not being hugely sibilant. In comparison the M50 sound muddy, veiled, and boring. I was astonished by just how much better they were than the M50s myself.

Do note that the FA-011s require an amp to sound their best, though even without an amp they still are superior to the M50s.

Wow I am really considering the FA-011s now. I really like the m50 sound signature and your saying that everything is upped from the m50 to the fa-011s, that REALLY makes me want them! Where is the cheapest online store to pick them up incase later on I might consider getting them?

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 26
Wow I am really considering the FA-011s now. I really like the m50 sound signature and your saying that everything is upped from the m50 to the fa-011s, that REALLY makes me want them! Where is the cheapest online store to pick them up incase later on I might consider getting them?

There are some in the marketplace if you want used. The only place to buy them is GD-audiobase.com. They're a trusted site, but they are in Russia, so you looking at a pretty long ship time.

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=102&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 26
LCD2.
Perhaps not "heavy", but there is no shortage, that is for sure.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
Wouldn't the Sennheiser HD 600 suffice instead of the HD 650?

The HD600 is a more neutral 'phone. The HD650 is colored and has heavy bass.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 26
Just how much bass do those fischer audios have?  Like in comparison to the DT990?  If it's around the same amount of bass and a slight lack of extension like the DT990, then I guess I won't be trying to get one eventually.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 26
The HD 650 definitely have a lot of bass, plenty enough for me.

Although when I first got my pair I thought they didn't have any bass. It took me a couple hours to finally notice that the foobar equalizer has the bass sliders turned way down. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 26
Bumping this thread :D I am very close to buying the fa-011 are they more detailed/bassy than the higher end beyerdynamic's? Like the dt990,dt880, And dt770?

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 26
Without hesitation, open + high quality bass monster = pro2900 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back