Bass Definition
Mar 25, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #61 of 65
Why *did* you sell your W2002s?

Maybe you don't like the sound of the 600 out of ordinary equipment but there are lots of people who do. You can only speak for yourself, not for others before they've even heard them.

Of course, the final judgement on this thread will come in when zbuddah goes and auditions some high-end Grados or other phones on the same level as the 600s out of some crappy receiver, just as he did with the 600s.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 25, 2002 at 10:41 AM Post #62 of 65
Originally posted by Kelly
Quote:

What I have suggested and will defend is that the HD600 does not perform as well, unamped, as competing headphones. I also believe, rather strongly, that the HD600 does not sound good enough on the lower end amps to justify its ownership over other quality headphones. This is not meant as an insult to your amplifier or any of the rest of your equipment. Rather, I only mean to insinuate that the HD600 has needs beyond that of normal headphones and require more expensive solutions to keep up with their competitors.

I also stated that I know that upgrades to bith source and amp will provide upgrades to the sound I hear. My point is/was, the 600's can sound fabulous without a high end amp, and even better than fabulous with one.

Quote:

I strongly recommend you get on Headroom's loaner program to check out some other amplifiers so that you might draw your own conclusions rather than taking my word for it. I don't blame anyone for cynicism as I certainly wouldn't have believed the headphone could come to life as much as it has either (in fact I almost sold them and bought some other cans until I heard them with an amp I liked

My Loaner Little is supposed to be here today and I'm waiting to reach 500 posts to try out a Cosmic. Unfortunately, right now I'm in the process of spending over $1K on my noat, so the wallet is sort of flat. Maybe I can upgrade next year. Right now though, I'm very happy with the sound I am getting from what I have. After all, The Music Is The Entire Objective, right????

Mar 25, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #63 of 65
What can match or even exceed the level of performance of HD600 with high fidelity amplification? Close to nothing. Some will disagree, but that's true in any situation. It's not a bad thing that the Senns don't tolerate mid-fi amps. If you want to use mid-fi amps, stick with mid-fi headphones, otherwise don't bitch about the Senns needing good amplification to sound its best, that's blatantly obvious...
rolleyes.gif
Some can still be happy using the Senns with low level amplification. Why would I use them for portable use with a cha-47 if I wasn't satisfied? Could I be happier with a different set of cans? Probably not.

Mar 25, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #64 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
What can match or even exceed the level of performance of HD600 with high fidelity amplification

Grado SR225 (with SR325 cable), Grado SR325, HP-1, RS-1, AKGK501.

Mar 25, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #65 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Why *did* you sell your W2002s?

Maybe you don't like the sound of the 600 out of ordinary equipment but there are lots of people who do. You can only speak for yourself, not for others before they've even heard them.

Of course, the final judgement on this thread will come in when zbuddah goes and auditions some high-end Grados or other phones on the same level as the 600s out of some crappy receiver, just as he did with the 600s.

I was pretty explicit on why I sold the W2002 in my review update if you have more to offer than sarcasm.

It's too bad he hasn't compared any good headphones that are easier to drive to good sound on the same equipment. But threads like this are rarely about serious recommendations and are more often about worship of whatever product it is the people replying have bought already.

The DT931 is typically a better choice than the HD600 on lesser amps. You don't have to believe me, but it wouldn't kill you to make the comparrison yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back