Bass Definition
Mar 22, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 65
Zbuddah, you won't be able to feel bass vibrations at all in any audiophile headphones.....but you will be able to listen low frecuencies as you never did before.....you will be able to feel bass extension, what it means that you would be able to differenciate from the lowest bass frecuencies to the highest bass frecuencies, and you will be able to get too bass definition, what it means that you won't get muddy, unclear pounding bass as the the subwoofers do. Get Grados, otherwise you'd have to buy an expensive headphone amp to get these kind of bass....

Mar 22, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 65
...you have got to be fuggin' kidding me. Now, I don't mean to traduce those Senn fans who have posted before me, but *come on*! Sennheiser HD600s for "punk rock, trance, techno, electronica, a little pop"?!?!?

Surely, you're all kidding...

Let me tell you from personal experience, zbuddah: you will not enjoy that kind of music through those headphones. Based on the nature of the music, I'd guess that you are looking for a "I feel like I'm in the club slamming" kind of intimate sound and the Sennheisers are not going to give you that as well as Grados will. Not by a long shot.

I have not heard Beyers or some of the others, so I won't comment, but let me tell you: for the exact kind of music you like, the Grados are *by far* going to give you the most enjoyment. Synth lines are incredible and will take you over...you will hear "those little details" and much more. They're efficient and merely a JMT amp will do you damn good.

I've owned and, naturally, extensively listened to Grados (SR-80s, SR-125s, SR-225s, RS-1s), Sennheiser HD600s, Ety 4S's, Audio Technica ATH-W100s

I maintain that Sennheisers are mf'ing excellent for accurate reproduction of Western Art Music, but when any of the styles you mentioned enter the equation, they relatively just **** the bed.

I would at least recommend getting a trial. Buy them from Headphone.com. Order a pair of Grados and a pair of Senns (and maybe some other ones people recommend here), listen through your rig and send the one(s) you don't like back. You'll have your refund before your credit card statement comes and, most importantly, you'll be happy, not wondering "could I have done better"?

Believe me, save yourself the headachey, wallet-thinning practice of buying and selling in search of what you want. It super-sucks.

I really hope this helps.

- Matt

Mar 22, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 65
...you have got to be fuggin' kidding me. Now, I don't mean to traduce those Senn fans who have posted before me, but *come on*! Sennheiser HD600s for "punk rock, trance, techno, electronica, a little pop"?!?!?

Surely, you're all kidding...

Let me tell you from personal experience, zbuddah: you will not enjoy that kind of music through those headphones. Based on the nature of the music, I'd guess that you are looking for a "I feel like I'm in the club slamming" kind of intimate sound and the Sennheisers are not going to give you that as well as Grados will. Not by a long shot.

I have not heard Beyers or some of the others, so I won't comment, but let me tell you: for the exact kind of music you like, the Grados are *by far* going to give you the most enjoyment. Synth lines are incredible and will take you over...you will hear "those little details" and much more.

I've owned and, naturally, extensively listened to Grados (SR-80s, SR-125s, SR-225s, RS-1s), Sennheiser HD600s, Ety 4S's, Audio Technica ATH-W100s

I maintain that Sennheisers are mf'ing excellent for accurate reproduction of Western Art Music, but when any of the words you mentioned enter the equation, they relatively just **** the bed.

I would at least recommend getting a trial. Buy them from Headphone.com. Order a pair of Grados and a pair of Senns (and maybe some other ones people recommend here), listen through your rig and send the one(s) you don't like back. You'll have your refund before your credit card statement comes and, most importantly, you'll be happy, not wondering "could I have done better"?

Believe me, save yourself the headachey, wallet-thinning practice of buying and selling in search of what you want. It super-sucks.

I really hope this helps.

- Matt

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 65
HD600 kicks ass with JMT CHA-47.

But I can't recommend it for synthesized music. It's disrespectful for the Senns,
biggrin.gif

I think you'd be better off with Sony MDR-V6/7506 and HeadRoom Little.

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #20 of 65
HD-600 does kick ass out of anything.
I does however sound better (as has been said about 3 million times already) with an amp. It will do fine without an amp, but it gives you better sound with a better amp.

I think the HD-600 is everything it is said to be. In the world of audio, something will not have a reputation for being a quality product if it is not. Audio nuts are very verbal about their dislikes. I use them for a variety of music, and they do extremely well.

Please note however, that they can be purchased for about $230, so please don't pay $400 for them!

Mar 22, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
Zbuddah, you won't be able to feel bass vibrations at all in any audiophile headphones.....

I'd say that's patently false. You don't know the headphones I mentioned, do you?
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
I maintain that Sennheisers are mf'ing excellent for accurate reproduction of Western Art Music, but when any of the words you mentioned enter the equation, they relatively just **** the bed

I would say this is somewhat accurate. I find the HD600 very detailed in the treble and midrange, and it can produce signal in the bass range. I listen to them for a couple of days but then I get a bit restless and bored because they sound too polite. They lack some oomph and dynamics, sort of in the way a concert lacks oomph and dynamics when you are listening from the balcony or very back row. I find them a bit too distant to accurately reproduce the sound of real instruments, although they do accurately reproduce the sound of instruments in the distance. I prefer the Grados in this respect, where you can be listening at a low/moderate volume and turn it up a notch and the dynamics and impact make the music come alive. I do respect the HD600 for being able to provide a basically flat, clear picture and sonic perspective. But then, I have not heard them out of a Holmes-Powell or EAR amplifier, so I may not have heard them at their best.

Mar 22, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
In the world of audio, something will not have a reputation for being a quality product if it is not.

I've got one word to disprove that statement:

Bose.

biggrin.gif

(now I know to us enlightened folk it's not a quality product, but to A LOT of the audio world, it somehow manages to slip into the "quality product" category. When you've got the $$$$...)

Mar 22, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 65
HD600's have trully excellent bass. Those of us with excellent associated equipment will all attest to this. I think it's funny how some of the most avid proponents of the HD600's are members with MAX, MELOS, and MG head amps. While the rest of the nincompoops who dont like the hd600's are using little battery amps.

Mar 22, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 65
Since it is the time of year to really get back to my other main love, every time I see the word BASS I start thinking about those greenish, finny, bucket-mouthed, line strechin', frustrating, most fun things God ever put in a fresh water lake.

It's BASS fishin' time. We'll worry about low frequency audio later.

Bass Definition:

Greenish, finny, bucket-mouthed, line strechin', frustratin', gill rattlin', head shakin', pretty good eatin', most fun things God ever put in a fresh water lake.

Mar 22, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #27 of 65
...ai0tron, with regard to the "little battery amp" comment, I had them on my EarMax Pro (you know, the amp that is supposedly better by all accounts than the MicroZOTL for HD600's) and I still found them *****. I burned them in for a week. Still found them *****. Gave them a few more days, still found them to be *****.

I am simply gobsmacked that anyone would parade and charade around this recommendation of HD600s for the kind of music this person intends upon listening to. They Are Not Meant For That. They're just too distant.

He is asking for bass, thinking that along with that comes what he's looking for. Clearly, judging by his post, he's a newbie (which is totally fine) and probably doesn't know *all* of the questions to ask. With that in mind, let's help him get what he's *really* looking for. If anyone can tell me with sincerity that Sennheiser HD600's are the way to go over other, more well-suited cans to the type of music he listens to, well, then I'll shut up. But come on, let's be serious here.

- Mattttttttt Smear

Mar 22, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
I had them on my EarMax Pro (you know, the amp that is supposedly better by all accounts than the MicroZOTL for HD600's) and I still found them *****. I burned them in for a week. Still found them *****. Gave them a few more days, still found them to be *****.

"*****?" Odd, but just proves that we're all different...

Quote:

I am simply gobsmacked that anyone would parade and charade around this recommendation of HD600s for the kind of music this person intends upon listening to. They Are Not Meant For That. They're just too distant.

While I actually recommended against the HD600, I have to strongly disagree with the above, unqualified, statement. If you mean that unamped, with a poor source, the HD600 wouldn't be good for "punk rock, trance, techno, electronica, a little pop" then I would probably agree. But given a good source and a good amp, I've found them to be as good as any other headphone I've heard. Adding Clous has also really improved them for more "in your face" type of music. Plus, he also said that vocals are important for him, along with detail and specificity, all of which are wonderful on the HD600. So you can't just throw them out the window as not possibly being applicable.

However, I'll again say what I said above: without an amp, and with an "intro" source, the HD600 are not going to give him what he appears to be looking for.

Mar 22, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 65
Well, I've found ***** to be an understatement describing both the pos Sony VITES I've tried with MG Head and CHA-47.

I actually like distant sound, I listen to concerts from the last row. I guess some music is meant to be all up in your face like punk rock, but I see that rather disgusting (no offense).

ai0 - rofl, awesome comment.
biggrin.gif

I don't care what any meathead may say about the HD600, they have great bass (one of its many strong points actually). If it sounds muddy, it sure isn't the headphones fault unless it's broken.

Mar 23, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #30 of 65
...why get personal, Audio? (the "meathead" thing)

Besides, I never said they didn't have great bass: they most certainly do. However, we should probably solicit from our newbie friend his feelings about the intimate vs. distant sound. "What do *you* want, fellow enthusiast?"

My guess, as previously established, is that he will like the close, way-more-intimate, way-more-exciting sound of Grados or some of the other cans suggested.

Erm...MacDef: yes, unqualified, but of course I was thinking that everyone who's a regular here could reconstitute the details regarding the unsuitability of the HD600s for the probable use here, for the kind of music and the probable amp situation (lest, of course, this be an exceptional newbie). From here on out, I shall be more specific and I thank you for calling me on that.

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back