Bass Definition
Mar 23, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by aiOtron
While the rest of the nincompoops who dont like the hd600's are using little battery amps.

Hey!!! I'm a strong supporter of the best 'phones for anywhere near the money, and I use an "Old" TA. Last I looked, 2 AA rechargeables.

The original post asked for accurate reproduction, including low frequencies.

I don't know what would come closer.

Mar 23, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 65
...let's just quote directly from the man's post:

"I mainly listen to some punk rock, trance, techno, electronica, a little pop."

OK

"I want to hear bass clarity not something muddy and boomy but something tight and clear."

Good luck with the HD600s, especially with a **** amp.

"So do you think the Sennheiser HD 600 can deliver that for me? i'm not really asking for bass eaggeration, just super clarity. "

In my experience, you're going to get boominess. Grados and the V6's that Audio&Me recommended will almost certainly do a better job with your kind of music.

"The thing was huge and crying out high quality."

So he's not yet turned on to the "don't judge a book by it's cover" thing. Fair enough.

"Now if I get the HD 600's I intend to get an amp first probably a portable and higher end amp later on if I can afford it."

OK, so the idea is that instant gratification is probably not going to be attained here in his situation. I'll betcha ten bucks that if he heard his music (rather than classical) through those 590s or 600s, he would cringe.

You know it, I know it, why not take our heads out of our asses or out of the clouds and stop insinuating (by continuing to post glowing, positive assertions about the HD on this post) that it is best for him?

"but really I'm looking for tight detailed bass CLARITY, beautiful vocals (that can make you tingle), and realistic highs. just beautiful music."

You'll get that (possibly...I didn't) with a higher end amp, a good source, nice IC's (both to the amp and to the cans), etc. You're looking at way more money for a sound that is verifiably more suited to those who like classical. Ask around, it's empirical.

- Matt

Mar 23, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 65
matt,

Quote:

I am simply gobsmacked that anyone would parade and charade around this recommendation of HD600s for the kind of music this person intends upon listening to. They Are Not Meant For That. They're just too distant.

we're all obviously entitled to our opinions, and as i stated in my original post i do think the sennheisers are excellent for electronic music... in fact i listed examples of the artists i enjoy listening to through the hd580s (and the hd600s when i had them on trial). while a different (not necessarily better) experience than listening through grados, i do feel they allow me to hear what's going on in the recording.

now for punk rock, they aren't my cup of tea, once again for the reasons listed above.

i don't expect you and i to have the same listening tastes, but quite honestly it's insulting to call my expression of said tastes "kidding"... are you saying i don't know what i enjoy? furthermore, how in the hell can you say the sennheisers weren't meant for a certain kind of music? what, should i look for the "punk approved" sticker the next time i make an equipment purchase?

give me a break. zbuddah asked for opinions, we all shared them. one is certainly not more valid than another.

carlo

Mar 23, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #34 of 65
Lol, that wasn't directed towards you Matt.

Here's what I don't get:

"but really I'm looking for tight detailed bass CLARITY, beautiful vocals (that can make you tingle), and realistic highs. just beautiful music."

Yet he listens to grungy music. Isn't punk rock supposed to be ugly/dirty music? "realistic highs" Electronic high frequencies arn't real to begin with...

Is he talking about bass imaging? Or just tightness? Beautiful sound is HD600, not stunning as to make you get horny, rather have you admire the rich sound (love vs lust). If you want stunning FUN (keeps you on your toes, busy) sound, try some Grados, you won't need an amp to enjoy those (they should much better with the RA-1 though). I think those two types are the two polar coordinates of music enjoyment through headphones. I can't really comment on the in betweens. There's Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, which I thought was great for rock music. But you'll definately need an amp for those. If you just want electronic sounding headphones for your electronic music, go with the inexpensive Sony MDR-V6/7506, they have BOOSTED bass, and many swear they sound crystal clear.

BTW, some hip-hop albums (yes they have synthesized beats, so?) sound amazing with HD600. Good example would be Nate Dogg - Music & Me or Ja Rule - Pan Is Love. First I'd like to say that I don't like the electronic beat looping of rap/hip-hop/r&b music, but I like these genres for their music content (voice , rhythm & lyrics). Mr. Dogg's wonderfully mellow voice sounds beautiful in every song, there isn't one song on that album you couldn't fall asleep to.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now with Ja Rule, his voice is rather harsh, but with the HD600, his voice is tamed so giving him a more smooth flowing sound like that of Tupac.

Mar 23, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
HD600's have trully excellent bass. Those of us with excellent associated equipment will all attest to this. I think it's funny how some of the most avid proponents of the HD600's are members with MAX, MELOS, and MG head amps. While the rest of the nincompoops who dont like the hd600's are using little battery amps.

I see a couple of people have resorted to namecalling, a sure sign of weakness and that they have no confidence in their case.

Mar 23, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #36 of 65
...you kinda took that one and ran, dude.

"give me a break. zbuddah asked for opinions, we all shared them. one is certainly not more valid than another."

Audio&Me,

That's cool that you find the HD600 a good sound on some rap/r&b (the vocal smoothness, etc.) I'll betcha that if I'd heard it, I'd agree. I guess this whole piss 'n moan thing from me is based upon the fact that I strongly believe (in fact, I know) that this relatively uninitiated person is going to gravitate towards a more Grado-type sound. I'll betcha dollars for doughnuts that he's used to boomboxes and car stereos.

I'll bet you that your "I don't get it" part about his post is due to the fact that he's a newbie, he's dazzled with all the language, etc. How I started on this primrose path (to social death and financial destruction) was with some Grado SR-125s. I had/have the same tastes, generally. Those Grados firmly planted my feet on the road.

I realize now that there is absolutely no room for dogmatism in this realm, no matter how uncommon vast differences of general opinion are.

ANYhow, we still love one another, right?

Best,
Matt

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #37 of 65
With his music preference, he's not exactly listening to relaxed or smooth sound. So you're assumption is probably correct. When trying good headphones for the first time, I'm sure someone used to unamped portables and minisystems will most likely love the exciting and involving sound of Grado cans.

BTW, I was just kidding about the VITES being "*****". The W08 sounds pretty good through my custom JMT CHA-47. However, I still think MX500 sounds better.

Quote:

we still love one another, right?

Yup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

If it sounds muddy, it sure isn't the headphones fault unless it's broken.

You're right. Its either the ears or the associated equipment. So if he's not using Clous and a Max/EMP/ZOTL/Melos etc... and a killer source, he'll probably hear muddy bass at some point.

As for beautiful vocals, realistic highs, all that jazz... try RS1s, I wish I still had mine.

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
go with the inexpensive Sony MDR-V6/7506, they have BOOSTED bass, and many swear they sound crystal clear.

As a side note, I disagree with this. The V6/7506 has an impressively flat bass response, not a boosted one. When I compared them to other cans in my now infamous "bass" test, they had about the same bass level (relative to the other frequencies) as Etys.

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #40 of 65
Yeah, but the V6 level seems higher in the mid-bass than real life sounds. Maybe the etys do too, but I know what an upright bass sounds like relative to a jazz combo, and it's not as out in front as much as the V6 presents it in all of the jazz I've listened to since my V6 arrived yesterday.

I like the bass for a lot of the types of music I listen to, but as far as comparison to reality, they are bass-heavy. I don't know any other way to put it, but that's what my ears are hearing.

Mar 23, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #41 of 65
Well I went back to the store today... Finally got to listen to the HD 600's on a Denon DCD-1650AR.

well yeah I guess you are right. Creed didn't seem like they were jumping out at me it, but everything else sounded great. There was definitely a good thump with the bass which what I wasn't really looking for but for bass details (I was trying to look for it but couldn't really concentrate cuz the saleman was talking to me about thier power plan or something), And that I'm still not sure. the Bass was definilty there, good thumps on the drums, the music seemed "nice & kind". Everything else seemed not really fuller but more... more something... its just had more to it.

I'm not dissapointed cuz its pretty much the best sound my ears have heard so far. but it doesn't capture the "rock" and leaves me wanting just a little more the "rock" attitude. i had asked the salesman if he had grados. he said that he only had the lower line of grados. so... I decided not to try the lower line out... I assumed they were sr60 adn sr 80. Bad mistake?... (besides I was running low on time).

I got to test It out with Celine's new song (I'm Alive)(mp3) < yes I know but GOOD LORD she was amazing on the setup. The music... her voice just pulled me in. She just sings so beautifully. man that was a treat!
biggrin.gif

One thing I did notice was that my ears were getting kinda hot. Does the pads "breathe" to keep my ears cool. The thing was really comfy and no i didn't experience the vice grip of the HD 600s. Quite comfy and plus I didn't feel the padding touching the edge of my ears unlike the hd 590 they were slightly touching the edge it gets a little annoying.

I kinda like it but I can't really say that until I heard the grados. and yeah the HD 600 did leave me wanting more. Celine was beautiful, Creed was clean. Dissapointed because I practically only got 10-15 minutes with the HD 600 and half the time I was listening out of the right side because the connector wasn't fully connected to the adapter.

But just to clarify the bass thing I just want the same kind of detail one can hear in the highs in the lows. not really boomy bass or something that sounds unnaturally thumpy.

Quote:

I'll betcha dollars for doughnuts that he's used to boomboxes and car stereos

I have a crappy sony boombox got it many years ago ('95?) and i spent 400 bucks on pioneer CD deck, which was stolen. so now i'm looking for better sound which i can't lose.

actually i'm used to KLIPSCH promedia speakers so yeah same thing. the Bass is boomy and not detailed i don't really hear the pluck of a guitar when I unhook all the satelites and just have the sub working. Plus the vocals sound tiny. that's why i'm looking for headphones that will give me better sound.
I'm not too sure about teh v6's I listened to them at Fry's didn't really find them good I'm not sure but I'm going to try it again this sunday.
i would prefer not go low end cuz I know I'd just be getting something else. my idea is just to start high and end high. no waste of money while travelling up the steps to good music. right?

i'm thinking just start with good headphones and work on my source another day. As of now I have no real headphones. I had an Aiwa earbuds that had silicon pads that somewhat help seal in the sound giving me better bass better everything (souned kinda nice until now). But the thing was that they were way to uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes. One of the sides right or left, I forgot which one, was blown so it would rattle.

well i gotta work tomorrow its 1:36 in the morning right now

thanks ppl

Mar 23, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #42 of 65
...like the clear, unboomy bass is going to be delivered to you by some SR-80s or SR-60s. The '60s have definitely a lowered bass response, but you get used to it. For thrashy punk, I like them. The 80s bass is enhanced, but it was, to me, at the expense of general clarity. They also had a bit of a smeared sound, and imaging wasn't quite that great. Things got better with the 125's (they felt like the bass was more controlled and "in it's place," rather than "all over the place") and even better with the 225s, which headroom calls "the ultimate rock headphone," which I'd agree with, except I haven't heard the 325s.

Since you were prepared to pay the $400 for the HD600s, maybe consider either the 225s or the 325s, or another recommended brand (Sony MDR-V6, etc.) if you don't like those. Again, headroom allows tests and sells at hefty discounts AND helps sponsor this forum, so maybe go with them.

Best,
Matt

Mar 23, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #43 of 65
What exactly are you missing that you're left wanting more of? Straight out of headphone jack of a cd player isn't exactly high quality either.

Quote:

But just to clarify the bass thing I just want the same kind of detail one can hear in the highs in the lows. not really boomy bass or something that sounds unnaturally thumpy.

The bottom end detail is all there, it's actually the detail of the high frequencies that people complain about. If you're saying that you want the bass frequencies to transition from one beat to another as fast as the high frequencies do, you should read about the physics of sound waves...
The bass from HD600 is anything but boomy or unnaturally thumpy. Are you sure it's not the music that you're listening to that's unnaturally thumpy? You might be overwhelmed by the clean accurate authorative bass that the HD600 gives you, as in it's more bass than you're used to, so you see it as overly thumpy. What you're hearing is probably tight defined midbass coming out at you, because it's part of the music and was perhaps meant to be heard that way.

Mar 23, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #44 of 65
Well, considering your listening experience with the HD600s, I'm gonna stick by my reccomendation of the RS1s. If you can afford it (you can find 'em new for as little as $550 on ebay, used is even less), they'll give you great sound out of a normal headphone jack. They won't be as picky about having a good amp, but will certainly improve as you upgrade source and your amp. It'll be a great foundation for building a very high quality system.

Of course so will the HD600s, they'll just sound different
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #45 of 65
As far as I can see, your musical tastes has little bearing on the kind of sound you prefer...

For example, the last time I listened to some rap I wanted to tone down the treble because the synth music was way too harsh

Now you guys seem to say that only aggressive cans like Grado can go well with aggressive music like punk rock and rap, etc.

I haven't had much experience with this, but I think I just might scream murder if I listened to rap through Grados...

With mellow classical music on the other hand I sometimes prefer a brighter sound

So while some people seem to prefer listening to punk rock with Grado and classical with Senns, I don't see why the opposite cannot be true of others...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back