Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #782 of 2,875
Whats a good portable amp for these headphones? Anyone ever tried the beyerdynamic a200p? Thats one I've been considering. I use my ipod touch 5g 99% of the time.

I think all the usual suspects will make the H6 V1 sound better to phenomenal.  I prefer the Theorem 720 I own, but have also had great results listening to my H6 V1 on the Chord Mojo and the TEAC HA-P50 amp/DAC combos.  

I quit trying to listen to just my iPod as it was too frustrating.  Maybe V2 will sound OK straight from a phone or computer but if you can afford it I think you have to have separate amplification (and if you're going that far might as well upgrade the DAC too...) to really get all the sound you paid for (on the H6 V1 at least).  

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #783 of 2,875

Amazon review is not too hot for T70p, actually is worse than T51i it replaced. 21% 1 or 2 stars. Unbalance sound, breaking up on one side, dry, cold, no bass... from these 1 or 2 stars.

Amazon has both audiophiles and non-audiophiles reviewing headphone sound. That can be subjective. If you came from Beats and the like(confession, I used to use only Beats); the dry, cold and no bass may be incorrect. They didn't burn in the set. Build quality and customer service though, I give more weight to.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #784 of 2,875
  Amazon has both audiophiles and non-audiophiles reviewing headphone sound. That can be subjective. If you came from Beats and the like(confession, I used to use only Beats); the dry, cold and no bass may be incorrect. They didn't burn in the set. Build quality and customer service though, I give more weight to.

I tent to shy away from one side break up or unbalance sounds type of review, does not required an audiophile to determine these kind of defect.
But maybe that is just me. :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #785 of 2,875

I tent to shy away from one side break up or unbalance sounds type of review, does not required an audiophile to determine these kind of defect.
But maybe that is just me. :)

I understand what you're saying. I'm not disregarding your opinion. By all means, if you are wary of their reliability, you're right to not buy them.

It's just that Amazon bad reviews for the T70P sound like either isolated incidences, or people not burning in the set. I only saw two reviews that say the headphone was distorted and/or went dead on one side. The others seem to just not like the sound. The sound was what I was referring to as subjective, not the build quality.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #786 of 2,875

I understand what you're saying. I'm not disregarding your opinion. By all means, if you are wary of their reliability, you're right to not buy them.

It's just that Amazon bad reviews for the T70P sound like either isolated incidences, or people not burning in the set. I only saw two reviews that say the headphone was distorted and/or went dead on one side. The others seem to just not like the sound. The sound was what I was referring to as subjective, not the build quality.

3 out of 48, that is 6%. See below. personally, I would rather deal with number, than opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars
Return due to defective
By xxxxxxxxxxx on March 1, 2016
Size: T-70 Pro
|
Verified Purchase
The headphones were breaking up on one side. Beyond that a relatively flat response but I returned them. Went with momentum 2 that are pretty good.

1.0 out of 5 stars
best headphone ever right side is louder than the left ...
By xxxxxxxxxx March 23, 2015
Size: T-70 Pro
|
Verified Purchase
best headphone ever right side is louder than the left side they refused to exchange spent 500 dollars on a piece of s***

2.0 out of 5 stars
Sound great, but poor reliability
By xxxxxxxxx on May 17, 2014
Size: T-70
|
Verified Purchase
I bought these headphones in December 2011. Used them in a home listening rig the whole time. Had to send them in for repair once before because of distortion in one side. Now, the left side has quit playing completely. These HPs have not been abused. I'm very meticulous in the care of them and they hang right by my listening chair by the headband. They sound great, but should not be plagued with reliability problems for the price paid.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #787 of 2,875
Look at the dates. That's only one complaint per year on build quality, not bad. I've seen way worse on Amazon. There's also threads on head-fi.org and they don't seem to imply a build quality problem. But I don't think I'd like what appears to be a non-removable cable, so I wouldn't consider the T70P.

But back on topic, I bought a used pair of SE H6. They are plenty loud and have tight bass. I'm pretty sure they are already burned-in but I'm surprised at the amount of volume. People have said these are low volume. I'm not getting that. I'm not using an amp and I cannot listen at full volume, too loud. This is on a laptop and iPad.

I do have to say that on an iPhone 6, I do have to crank the volume to about 75% or 80% to get into partying mode. But still not to where I need an amp.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #788 of 2,875
I saw this headphones in LA for the first time, in the 2013 july. As soon as i came home i've ordered them. For two and an half year i never understood what i had, now i use the headphones with the amplifier of my Audeze LCD 2, a Woo Audio WA6, the sound is magic with the H6. I think that tubes are the best for this dynamic headphones. Now i'm going to try them with my Astell & Kern ak100ii, i'm courious, if it works well i found my travel setup.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #790 of 2,875
  Look at the dates. That's only one complaint per year on build quality, not bad. I've seen way worse on Amazon. There's also threads on head-fi.org and they don't seem to imply a build quality problem. But I don't think I'd like what appears to be a non-removable cable, so I wouldn't consider the T70P.

But back on topic, I bought a used pair of SE H6. They are plenty loud and have tight bass. I'm pretty sure they are already burned-in but I'm surprised at the amount of volume. People have said these are low volume. I'm not getting that. I'm not using an amp and I cannot listen at full volume, too loud. This is on a laptop and iPad.

I do have to say that on an iPhone 6, I do have to crank the volume to about 75% or 80% to get into partying mode. But still not to where I need an amp.

SE = Special Edition or Second Edition here? If its Second edition its possible! If you meant Special Edition(some weird good coloured first gen), I think you should try an amp for knowing the difference. I was adviced by another forum member to give it time, and try amping.. and it worked. On the first day, I thought I downgraded from my previous headphone(AKG K551, which are retired now as they are not for travel, but still they sound good!). Amping them with FiiO E12 gave me more midbass, and body to the sound. Now my drums are bigger! Also, overall it sounds more 'controlled'. By the way I have 2 idevices at home, an iPhone 5 and an iPad air 2. Both sounded decent, but not as close to my xduoo x3 -> E12 combo. :) By the way, I only got these to upgrade myself from a weirdo looking person travelling with K551, and wasnt expecting much, but now I don't regret the decision :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back