Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #121 of 2,875
It's probably a manufacturing mistake I guess? 6months is still covered in warranty, best to send a email ASAP hopefully they willing to send you a replacement pair of earpads?

Good luck!

Billson :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #122 of 2,875
I own the same pair and early on I saw a spot on one of my pads.  I assumed the same thing you did...it had gotten dirty.  I mildly wiped it with a clean, damp paper towel and saw slight discoloration and quickly concluded that the dye they use on the light tan/brown ones does not last.  So I left them alone.  I figured they would not stay beautiful long.  I use mine regularly, but not as much as you.  Fortunately, mine still look pretty new.  You have confirmed what I feared, though, they may not stay new looking for long.

I would definitely make a run at B&O on a warranty claim and see if you get any joy on replacement pads.  I would send them the pictures you posted.  Let us know how the service reponse is, please.  More of us may end up in the same boat...

frown.gif

HS

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #123 of 2,875
The earpads are replaceable, I've confirmed it myself when I took them off to clean out dust on the inside. Now I wonder how black replacement pads would look with the natural leather headband...I've been using my own pair for 9 months and color has changed only very slightly (not noticeable at a quick glance), but it seems like using a darker color will be better.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #124 of 2,875
  I own the same pair and early on I saw a spot on one of my pads.  I assumed the same thing you did...it had gotten dirty.  I mildly wiped it with a clean, damp paper towel and saw slight discoloration and quickly concluded that the dye they use on the light tan/brown ones does not last.  So I left them alone.  I figured they would not stay beautiful long.  I use mine regularly, but not as much as you.  Fortunately, mine still look pretty new.  You have confirmed what I feared, though, they may not stay new looking for long.

I would definitely make a run at B&O on a warranty claim and see if you get any joy on replacement pads.  I would send them the pictures you posted.  Let us know how the service reponse is, please.  More of us may end up in the same boat...

frown.gif

HS

I'm not certain whether B&O would replace the earpads free of charge, since the headphone itself isn't actually damaged [structurally]. Just a case of discoloration in the leather. As you mentioned, it seems like the dye used in the natural leather version doesn't last very long.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #125 of 2,875
  I'm not certain whether B&O would replace the earpads free of charge, since the headphone itself isn't actually damaged [structurally]. Just a case of discoloration in the leather. As you mentioned, it seems like the dye used in the natural leather version doesn't last very long.

That's highly likely but I have to say, the dye shouldn't let go so quickly.  Mine were pretty brand spanking new when it became apparent that it does not take much to remove the dye from the leather.  That means there's a LOT of cans out there that have discolored due to either the application process or the dye itself.  

If I were the poster, I'd let them politely know they're on Head-Fi and raising the issue on a very large forum.  They understand the power of reaching many of their target audience.  This should ALWAYS be done partnering with the vendor unless they are awful...never to take advantage of the vendor.  My two bits anyhoo...

HS

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #126 of 2,875
Ok

So I took them into the B&o shop here in Auckland.

The chap in store was very helpful. He had a go at cleaning them using the cleaning solution they use to keep the store demo pairs clean. Same thing happened, cleaning revealed more of the darker brown/red underneath the top coat. At that point he took some photos and sent them through to Denmark for get a response from the mothership. So right now I'll just be waiting for a few days to see what happens.

I can imagine it might be a bit of unknown territory for them. I don't think B&o have done any light coloured leather products that get used in this way before. Might just be a bit of a leather goods rookie move.

And just to be clear, I don't expect these headphones to look like new forever, my issue is that they're aging in a gross way, not in the charming way a natural leather wallet, belt or baseball mitt would. Or perhaps a better comparison, the way my iPad smart cover has.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #127 of 2,875
anyone could tell me if buying this worth the price?
I already tried it once at a store in Dubai and actually like the sound. It's also very light, comfy on my ears and got clear vocal.
After getting home, I tried the B&W P7 in my local store and also like it as well, but from the design I prefer the H6.
However, the price is a real shock here.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #128 of 2,875
Putting aside this business with the Natural pads, I'd say yes.

Unlike pretty much every other B&o product ever, the H6 seem to play in more or less the same price performance league as other headphone manufacturers (which might say more about everyone else charging through the nose than B&o being more competitive than usual).

Worth it?

I don't know, headphones, especially those worn outside the house are more than a purely technical product.. You're going to have to weigh up a bunch of very personal intangibles to make that decision for yourself.

For me? Totally worth it.
My ear isn't developed/trained enough to make a serious judgement on sound quality. Beyond a certain threshold all full sized headphones are good enough.

My decision came down to how they look, how they feel, do they creak and flex when handling them, do I feel like an ******* when I wear them? When someone sees me wearing them am I comfortable with the first impression it will inevitably cause them to make about me?

Etc etc.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #131 of 2,875
Although it has two inputs, I don't think they can be used as a balanced input. (unless there is some sort of cable configuration I don't know of)

Got word back from the local dealer here that they will be replacing my pads under warranty. 
This is great, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be back in the same position 5-6 months from now.

Has anyone got any ideas? Shoe style water proofing spray? Leather protector?

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #132 of 2,875
Although it has two inputs, I don't think they can be used as a balanced input. (unless there is some sort of cable configuration I don't know of)

Got word back from the local dealer here that they will be replacing my pads under warranty. 
This is great, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be back in the same position 5-6 months from now.

Has anyone got any ideas? Shoe style water proofing spray? Leather protector?

Best to ask Bang And Olufsen since they themselves uses some sorts of spray as well for all their displays. Best to even buy from them so that the next time when you have problem, they won't blame the problem on you.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: covering under the leather is another padding, afraid that some sprays or leather protector might affect the internal material. Only B&O knows it best about it xD

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #133 of 2,875
:frowning2: so I got my VSonic GR07 today.. 

These headphones relatively muddy and underwater when compared to them.
Do you guys know of any portable amps that might clear them up a bit?

I tried putting it through my firestone headphone amp, and it doesn't sound that different to the output from the iphone..

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #135 of 2,875
:frowning2: so I got my VSonic GR07 today.. 

These headphones relatively muddy and underwater when compared to them.
Do you guys know of any portable amps that might clear them up a bit?

I tried putting it through my firestone headphone amp, and it doesn't sound that different to the output from the iphone..
Not sure if trolling... You're the first person to say these headphones sound muddy and congested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back