Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jun 4, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,010 of 2,875
Does anyone know if listening to a CD player with these headphones would be the equivalent of using an amp with them? I'm new to the high end audio game. I have the 1st gen cause I didn't realise there was a second gen when I bought them so I might take them back and get the second gen if I like them better. Would you recommend the second gen over the 1st?

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,011 of 2,875
  Does anyone know if listening to a CD player with these headphones would be the equivalent of using an amp with them? I'm new to the high end audio game. I have the 1st gen cause I didn't realise there was a second gen when I bought them so I might take them back and get the second gen if I like them better. Would you recommend the second gen over the 1st?

it would depend on which cd player and which amp you're using/considering, h6 v1 or v2 don't need a lot of amplification so the jack from 'most' cd players can power them, but it will only sound as good as the cd player.
the differences between v1 and v2 or gen 1 gen 2 if you will are pretty slim to my ear, a few have owned both and posted about them in previous pages of this thread so go ahead and read those, but as always the best advice you get is hearing something for yourself.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,013 of 2,875

i have had both V1 and V2 and i have sent the V2 back...the reason is they sound very similar but the V2 has a boosted bass which has made the mids sound a bit distant to my ears ..The V1 has better mids than the V2 ,i would stick to the V1 thats just my opinion though

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,014 of 2,875

it would depend on which cd player and which amp you're using/considering, h6 v1 or v2 don't need a lot of amplification so the jack from 'most' cd players can power them, but it will only sound as good as the cd player.
the differences between v1 and v2 or gen 1 gen 2 if you will are pretty slim to my ear, a few have owned both and posted about them in previous pages of this thread so go ahead and read those, but as always the best advice you get is hearing something for yourself.

The CD player is the Denon RCD-M37DAB. It's relatively old now but it was a great CD player at the time and still is. I don't have any headphone amps at the moment and wouldn't know which one to get if I was to get one. I compared listening to both the headphone from my phone and from the CD player and I honestly couldn't tell any different. I thought at first that I could but I couldn't say that it wasn't just placebo because I expected the CD player to sound better. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,017 of 2,875
  hifi heaven has reviewed the v1's on youtube

This is a review of the 1st gen. Not the second Gen. The 2nd Gen. is mentioned near the end of the video.  I understand that the second Gen. may not need amplification, or at least be okay without out it. I've not tried my 2nd Gen. with my amp. yet, expect it to be even better with a DAC and amp.!

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,018 of 2,875
  i have had both V1 and V2 and i have sent the V2 back...the reason is they sound very similar but the V2 has a boosted bass which has made the mids sound a bit distant to my ears ..The V1 has better mids than the V2 ,i would stick to the V1 thats just my opinion though

Hi, goody - 

Did you use an amp with the v2? How much time did you allow the v2 for breaking in?

Thanks,
Brian

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,019 of 2,875
I have had the v1 for quite some time now and on most sources it just needs one extra click of volume. I don't feel like it needs an amp. Also; there is a review out from the guy who said the v2 is the best thing ever and that the v1 loses bass at high volume when not amped which is total bs.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,020 of 2,875

The CD player is the Denon RCD-M37DAB. It's relatively old now but it was a great CD player at the time and still is. I don't have any headphone amps at the moment and wouldn't know which one to get if I was to get one. I compared listening to both the headphone from my phone and from the CD player and I honestly couldn't tell any different. I thought at first that I could but I couldn't say that it wasn't just placebo because I expected the CD player to sound better. 

what about the cd player did you expect to sound better?
because perhaps it's own sound doesn't gel with the h6's.
you might think a good pair of headphones will sound great from all good source's but that not always the case! things have there own sound if you take a bass heavy source and plug in a bass heavy headphone you'll end up with bass squared!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back